DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Help ~~ Expired EAD (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81045)

ChasingDaDream 02-21-2018 10:10 PM

Help ~~ Expired EAD

My EAD expired a while back. My ID is also expired but I recently got married to a citizen. Is it going to be a problem when we submit the applications to USCIS for Adjustment of Status? I read that we need to submit bank account, credit card statements, life insurance that says both our names on the accounts with the applications. I can't open a new joint account because of the expired ID . Do I need to open accounts or will it be ok after I get my new EAD and start opening joint accounts then?

Adrian2145 02-21-2018 10:12 PM

Re: Help ~~ Expired EAD

Just proof of a good faith marriage, such as kids, photos, mortgage contract, car insurance, car leases, etc to convince the officer it is not marriage fraud.

ChasingDaDream 02-21-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian2145 (Post 693348)
Just proof of a good faith marriage, such as kids, photos, mortgage contract, car insurance, car leases, etc to convince the officer it is not marriage fraud.

Been together for 8 years. There's a lot of photos through the years. But is it OK to start opening joint accounts after I get my new EAD. Then I will have my new ID.

Adrian2145 02-21-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasingDaDream (Post 693350)
Been together for 8 years. There's a lot of photos through the years. But is it OK to start opening joint accounts after I get my new EAD. Then I will have my new ID.

Yeah it’s normal, the officer just wants to know your marriage is legit and wants proof. Yes you can open joint account after you get your renewed ead.

thedreamisreal 02-21-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasingDaDream (Post 693347)
My EAD expired a while back. My ID is also expired but I recently got married to a citizen. Is it going to be a problem when we submit the applications to USCIS for Adjustment of Status? I read that we need to submit bank account, credit card statements, life insurance that says both our names on the accounts with the applications. I can't open a new joint account because of the expired ID . Do I need to open accounts or will it be ok after I get my new EAD and start opening joint accounts then?

I'm in the same situation as you right now, except my driver's license expires a year after my EAD.

I'm working on putting together joint bank accounts, etc. My main hold back is that we are not living together at the moment, her old school parents want us to get married through church first, which will happen in May.

So based on what a lawyer told me, it is better to remain a little patient and get as much proof as possible, because it would be much more complicated to get a green card after being denied.

VIK 02-21-2018 10:54 PM

Yes! happy for you both.

Time for that Green Card.

You will be fine,just show as much proof pictures,letter from family member etc.

thedreamisreal 02-21-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VIK (Post 693358)
Yes! happy for you both.

You will be fine,just show as much proof pictures,letter from family member etc.

Thank you!! I really hope everything goes according to plan.

eRkah 02-22-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasingDaDream (Post 693347)

Proof of living together is important too, such as old bills with your name and others with their name, and the same address. If you have a lease or mortgage with both of your names then obviously that's better. Also you should look into some cities have laws where your landlord has to put your spouse on the lease if you ask, without any other changes to the lease (NYC does)

You can apply for adjustment, and when you get your EAD you can open joint accounts and start collecting that evidence of financial co-mingling. You would just bring it with you to the interview, instead of front-loading your application (when you send as much evidence as possible with the application). Remember to also do taxes together, and put each other on emergency contact info at work, put married in w4, etc

ChasingDaDream 02-22-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VIK (Post 693358)
Yes! happy for you both.

Thank you.

ChasingDaDream 02-22-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eRkah (Post 693441)
Proof of living together is important too, such as old bills with your name and others with their name, and the same address. If you have a lease or mortgage with both of your names then obviously that's better. Also you should look into some cities have laws where your landlord has to put your spouse on the lease if you ask, without any other changes to the lease (NYC does)

You can apply for adjustment, and when you get your EAD you can open joint accounts and start collecting that evidence of financial co-mingling. You would just bring it with you to the interview, instead of front-loading your application (when you send as much evidence as possible with the application). Remember to also do taxes together, and put each other on emergency contact info at work, put married in w4, etc

Thank you. On tax returns, would Married filing Separately be ok?