DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ssn dhs (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=40539)

hancock 03-09-2013 03:50 PM

Ssn dhs

Hey everyone, I applied for SSN 2 weeks ago but instead of the 2 week wait, my receipt says DHS will verify within 4 weeks. Did anyone get this? If so how long was the actual wait? And if anyone in Maryland went through the SSN process, your input would be appreciated.

Task_1539 03-09-2013 04:58 PM

Re: Ssn dhs

Did the receipt you were given originally say 4 weeks? Or were you given another one after the initial 2-week wait?

If the former, it could be your SSA office is not well equipped to process all needed requests withing a 2-week period.
~~
My wait was less than 2 weeks, my receipt said it would arrive within two weeks.

hancock 03-09-2013 08:20 PM

It was my first reciept.

hancock 03-09-2013 09:41 PM

When I first applied, I asked the lady if I can come back to get a printout or just to follow up and she was very confident when she said "NO." I even called the office just to make sure, but the lady who answered had an even worst answer. She said to wait 4 to 6 week for DHS to verify my documents before they can start processing my SSN.

kaptainslapaho 03-09-2013 09:49 PM

I applied on a friday and the receipt also said four weeks. .I went back on wednesday and they already had issued the number and it said the date of issue was the day before so give it at least 2 or 3 days before u go back and try to get a printout

hancock 03-09-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaptainslapaho (Post 442565)
I applied on a friday and the receipt also said four weeks. .I went back on wednesday and they already had issued the number and it said the date of issue was the day before so give it at least 2 or 3 days before u go back and try to get a printout

Yes, this particular office is not willing to tell whether the number is issued or not let alone give me a print out. All they keep telling me is to wait for the card or any notice in the mail.

hancock 04-18-2013 05:40 PM

So after almost 8 weeks and complaint against this office at ssa.gov, The manager herself called me apologizing for their conduct and that she will handle it personally. That was last week. I called them a couple of days ago and they tell me " The manager won't be in for a week and your name doesn't show in our system and you need to reapply." I wasn't going to deal with the same office. I went to a different one to start the whole process again and the gentleman who was helping me tells me that a card has been mailed( so the manager got on top of it after hearing about my complaint from the higher ups) to me two days ago and prints my social security number on the spot. I asked him why it took this long. He told me that its not only the DHS that sleeps on applications but also the SSA office once DHS approves it. So here is an advice for anyone who's been waiting for over 2 weeks. Call them or go in person if they refuse to tell you anything go to ssa.gov and write a complaint. If they keep telling you they're waiting for DHS's approval then tell them to call DHS and ask about your application, they have the authority to do that. Trust me the workers that were bitc*y treated me like a god after the complaint. Good luck and god bless.

JJ Glo 04-18-2013 06:24 PM

The reason why some are told 2 weeks vs 4 weeks is simple.

If your receipt says your SSN should arrive within 2 weeks, your information was verified by DHS on the spot when you applied for the SSN. All that's left is to issue you an SSN and create the SSN card and mail it to you.

If your receipt says you need to wait 4 weeks, your information wasn't verified by DHS and it will take longer to manually verify your information.

hancock 04-18-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Glo (Post 462650)
The reason why some are told 2 weeks vs 4 weeks is simple.

If your receipt says your SSN should arrive within 2 weeks, your information was verified by DHS on the spot when you applied for the SSN. All that's left is to issue you an SSN and create the SSN card and mail it to you.

If your receipt says you need to wait 4 weeks, your information wasn't verified by DHS and it will take longer to manually verify your information.

True, but it's your right to follow up on your application. If they keep you in the blind then it's difficult to know whether the process is pending at DHS database or approved and awaiting SSA office to assign a number.