DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What to do if i get pulled over? What are my options? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11999)

makaveli 06-30-2009 10:28 PM

What to do if i get pulled over? What are my options?

I just would like to know what what is all that is required to say when gettin pulled over? If you don't have a Driver's License?
Just tell them your 1st name and then say you want to speak to my lawyer???

Junnymonkey7 06-30-2009 10:39 PM

Re: What to do if i get pulled over? What are my options?

depends, do you have a foriegn DL? or you dont have any type of license?

AB323 06-30-2009 10:52 PM

Under who's name is the car registered to? They are going to ask you who the car belongs to and all sorts of questions. We need to know what you have or don't have to be able to give you a better answer.

harlow 06-30-2009 11:01 PM

From experience... I was pulled over last year, supposly I was swirving...
To my luck I had a successful verdict in court. The judge just told me NOT to drive anymore..
Anyways when I was pulled over, I had to show the cop my cars registration and my foreign DL. It was an intense process but I managed to pull forward.
So for the many of you that drive without a license. be more cautious, because you mite not be as lucky as me.

AB323 06-30-2009 11:06 PM

I've been stopped once and it was basically go to court, plead guilty, get a fine for like 450-500 bucks, and get your car impounded for 30 days, which is another 990 bucks. So yeah, make sure at least you have insurance. There are a lot of companies that will insure your car without having a license. You don't have to over explain things because that's when you get in trouble.

Junnymonkey7 06-30-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harlow (Post 135445)
From experience... I was pulled over last year, supposly I was swirving...
To my luck I had a successful verdict in court. The judge just told me NOT to drive anymore..
Anyways when I was pulled over, I had to show the cop my cars registration and my foreign DL. It was an intense process but I managed to pull forward.
So for the many of you that drive without a license. be more cautious, because you mite not be as lucky as me.

did your foreign DL not work? did the judge ask u about ur visa status and things like insurance and stuff?

Junnymonkey7 06-30-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB323 (Post 135446)
I've been stopped once and it was basically go to court, plead guilty, get a fine for like 450-500 bucks, and get your car impounded for 30 days, which is another 990 bucks. So yeah, make sure at least you have insurance. There are a lot of companies that will insure your car without having a license. You don't have to over explain things because that's when you get in trouble.

wow thats is a lot of money... what did u say to the cop when he pulled u over?

SK18 07-01-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB323 (Post 135446)

Car has to be impounded for 30 days?

dreamactmass 07-01-2009 01:03 AM

I guess it depends on the state you live in...
Here in massachusetts..just tell the officer you have no dl....they may or may not give you a citation....they may or may not give you a court date...if they do...you just go and pay the $100 fine...that's all...it's really up to the police officer...but the car does not get impounded for 30 days....
I once heard a sheriff say that it's better to drive with your passport (even without a valid visa) than to drive with foreign dl....they don't know if it's real or not...so they may take you in order to find out your real identity....
But again...I live in Massachusetts, it's a pretty liberal state....I don't know about other states...

harlow 07-01-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junnymonkey7 (Post 135450)
did your foreign DL not work? did the judge ask u about ur visa status and things like insurance and stuff?

No, my foreign DL did not help. The sheriff!! told me that it wasnt valid...
On the day of the court, I just plead guilty and the Judge just told me to behave myself, by not driving etc. It was a short and sweet verdict. The judge did know that I was an undocumented illegal. (I showed him my college transcript, close family friend, and a lawyer).
IF you happen to drive, you should purchase some car insurance, because that helped me... and also cuz I was wearing my seatbelt :)

If their is NO need to drive, please dont drive brothers and sisters. Dont risk it!!