DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New Mexico Drivers Licenses Will be Revoked (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23382)

tenoch24 07-20-2011 07:04 PM

New Mexico Drivers Licenses Will be Revoked

Gov. Susana Martinez ordered the Motor Vehicle Department to send out 10,000 letters to the estimated 85,000 foreign nationals who have New Mexico Driver’s Licenses but no Social Security numbers, asking them to to prove they still live in the state.

Those who get a letter must make an appointment with MVD within 30 days, and bring proof of residency — a lease, bank statement, pay stubs, utility bills or other verifying documents. If the license-holder does not show or cannot prove state residency, then his license is canceled.

Martinez wants to repeal the 2003 measure allowing foreign nationals to obtain driver’s licenses — only Washington State has a similar law — but the Senate tabled the bill. Gov. Richardson signed the law as a public safety measure — illegal immigrants already drive to their jobs, giving them licenses and allowing them to have auto insurance would make the roads safer.

However, the Martinez administration says the system is vulnerable to fraud and abuse.

“Thirty-five percent of our phone calls to make an appointment come from area codes from outside New Mexico,” said Tax and Revenue Secretary Demesia Padilla. “We had one address used 60 times for a place of residence.”

This rule will allow foreign nationals who live in New Mexico to keep their licenses, while canceling those who have moved out-of-state or showed New Mexico residency just to obtain a driver’s license.

dado123 07-20-2011 07:32 PM

Re: New Mexico Drivers Licenses Will be Revoked

ahh shit hope, WA does not fall march in order of this shit, fuck !!!!!!!!

Dreamer X 07-20-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dado123 (Post 227629)
ahh shit hope, WA does not fall march in order of this shit, fuck !!!!!!!!

I hope so too.

Diplok 07-20-2011 08:55 PM

Fuck me. Now I gotta worry about my license being revoked.

tenoch24 07-20-2011 09:13 PM

Anyone if other states will know that you might be driving with a revoked license? if so what could the consequences be I am asking specifically for texas.

MIdreamer 07-20-2011 09:39 PM

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/search/gov-r...-for-licenses-

This article provide more information.

MIdreamer 07-20-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

MVD regulations require anyone who has moved since the date of obtaining a driver’s license to notify the agency of the change of address. “We understand that some of these individuals might have moved since obtaining their driver’s licenses and have failed to properly notify MVD. To accommodate these individuals, we will resend the letters if any of the returned letters have a new forwarding address within New Mexico. If the forwarding address is from out-of-state, we will cancel those individuals’ driver’s licenses,” said Secretary Padilla. For other licenses that are determined to be held by non-residents or by those who fail to comply with the certification process, steps will be taken to begin the process of cancelling their driver’s license.
There is still time to fix this if you are one of those NM driver license holder.

cooltalker 07-21-2011 10:48 PM

F*ck, now I have to worry about my license being revoked. I hope I am not one of those that received a letter.

aliah 07-22-2011 01:00 AM

u guys can't swap it in your state?

Dreamer X 07-23-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliah (Post 227749)
u guys can't swap it in your state?

nope, they require proof of legal presence.