DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Car Insurance (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=51626)

PakkAttackk 05-20-2013 12:36 PM

Car Insurance

I'm 18, live in Florida, about to go get my Driver's License & have '99 Mitsubishi Galant. So three questions, can DACA approvals get car insurance on our own name & if you are in a similar situation as me, what car insurance do you have & how much are you paying for your car insurance? Thanks.

hawkeye2013 05-20-2013 01:25 PM

Re: Car Insurance

if you have a DLm then i would assume that you could get car insurance in your own name.

here in CA, you need to have insurance even before you can register your car. my mom went to a small insurance place next to the DMV to get her car insurance. (she's a USC)

if you already have a DL, try The General online and just try to get liability insurance so you can just register the car if needed.

car insurance rates all depend on your driving record so if you have no legal driving record or tickets for driving w/o a DL then your insurance is going to be higher then someone who has a clean established driving record. if you can try to be added on to a family members policy as a second driver. most of the time, they will get a discount for multiple drivers and multiple cars. then after a yr or so, get your own insurance. your rates will be lower at the time too.

2Face 05-20-2013 01:49 PM

Yes, you can and must get car insurance. I'm 24 years old, male, first time license. Lowest quote I could get and finalized is Geico..$314 monthly. I was told there were couple of reasons the quotes were so high..mainly because I'm under 25, first time driver, and the city I live in also has too many people who make claims. This is most likely the case with you as well. If you maintain a clean record and clean driving history, after six months your premium will go down for sure. GL.

Dres2011 05-20-2013 03:04 PM

Yeah Im in florida and im paying 230/month, insurance is under my name for a 01 Explorer Sport. My tip? call in to make the insurance quotes...doing the quotes online will cost you more.

chicagodreamer23 05-20-2013 03:37 PM

I pay 35 per month for only liability, 26 yr old with a 06 impala.

arclite 05-20-2013 04:28 PM

Yes, you can.
I am 24 female. I got my license in January. No previous license. I called around got several quotes. I settled on Geico because I thought they were the cheapest. I was to pay $156 a month for a 95 Accord. A month later they sent me a letter stating that they are terminating my insurance coverage due to my car having a rebuilt title. So I was forced to shop around again. I called Progressive and they insure rebuilt cars. They offered me better coverage for less than what I was paying Geico.

Dres2011 05-20-2013 04:34 PM

^^^ Interesting bit on the rebuilt title....I also have one.

chicagodreamer23 05-20-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arclite (Post 478021)
Yes, you can.
I am 24 female. I got my license in January. No previous license. I called around got several quotes. I settled on Geico because I thought they were the cheapest. I was to pay $156 a month for a 95 Accord. A month later they sent me a letter stating that they are terminating my insurance coverage due to my car having a rebuilt title. So I was forced to shop around again. I called Progressive and they insure rebuilt cars. They offered me better coverage for less than what I was paying Geico.

156 is a lot, is that liability only? Or full coverage?

leo18 05-20-2013 07:51 PM

I'm 19. I pay $70 per month with The General. Check with them.

Alexacee 05-20-2013 11:07 PM

Hey! I'm a licensed insurance producer in Illinois, almost 5 years experience. What I can tell you is that the following things matter... Your age (over 25 cheaper), sex (females are cheaper), zip code, driving record, married or single (married cheaper), and most important type of coverage. Make sure you reasearch what your state requires as far as coverages. Don't fall for free bond cards or free roadside assitance, most agents I know are just worried about their commission and will try to rip you off. Don't overpay. I am 22, live in the city, and have full coverage on my 03 Honda Accord which means they will cover me and the other party in an accident which I am at fault and pay only 83 a month. Hope it helps! Good luck =)