DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wake Up, Yahoos! DREAM Hasn't Died. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17796)

edie0789 11-23-2010 07:41 PM

Wake Up, Yahoos! DREAM Hasn't Died.

Jonathan Strong of The Daily Caller assesses the chances that Democrats will sneak through the "DREAM Act" partial immigration amnesty in the waning days of the lame duck Congress. As feared, the conclusion is murky, given the criss-crossing array of potentially soft Republicans and potentially tough Democrats in the Senate. But a) a "proprietary vote simulation and prediction engine" called WhipCast gives DREAM a 33% chance of passage; b) Microsoft and other tech companies are pushing for it; and c) even more worrisome, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell's spokesman gives a shockingly nonchalant answer when asked if stopping DREAM is a priority:

“I don’t have a whip count on it. … Our priority is making sure no one gets a tax hike and funding the government while reducing spending.”

I take that as a "no."

Will the most immediate result of the dramatic Republican midterm success--fueled in part by Tea Party resentment of illegal immigration amnesty proposals--be a large illegal iimmigration amnesty? That would be an astonishing failure on McConnell's part and a humiliating defeat for conservatives. But consider: i) We still don't know which way a lot of squishy senators will jump; ii) the bill is so chock full of excesses that it is relatively easy to cut it down in an effort to win over the swing legislators; and iii) if Democrats wanted to really pass the bill, as opposed to simply pandering to Latinos, they would spread the word that they were simply pandering to Latinos, which is exactly what they are doing! Now they can surprise everyone--especially gullible journalists--when they turn out to be serious.

It's time for amnesty opponents--not infrequently derided as "yahoos"--to make themselves heard, no? ...

P.S.: To my mind, the two killer arguments against DREAM are:

1) It's a fraud. It claims to give amnesty only to illegal immigrants brought here when they were young by their families. "We don't punish children for the sins of their parents," the argument goes. But the parents get legalized too: once the kids ae citizens, in a few years, they could obtain legal papers for their mothers, fathers and perhaps other relatives. Under DREAM, it turns out we don't punish parents for the sins of parents either.

2) It creates a huge new incentive for more illegal immigration. Even if only illegal immigrant children (and not their parents) get put on a "path" to legalization, that creates a big incentive for potential future illegal immigrants with children, now living in other countries, to sneak across the border to await the next installment of DREAM. It would seem hard to create a bigger incentive for a poor Latino family than the likelihood that their children could grow up legally in the prosperous, relatively safe United States. There's nothing illegitimate about the immigrant motives that underlie this incentive. They're admirable. But it's still an incentive. Unless we want another wave of illegal immigrants soon it doesn't make sense to create any more such incentives until the border is secure. (That's not to say we shouldn't open up more avenues for legal entry by potential immigrants from Mexico and other nations. But DREAM doesn't do that. It rewards and encourages the breaking of whatever more generous law we might write.) ...

Note that neither of these flaws is curable by amending the bill. Even if DREAM is written to explicitly ban children from legalizing their parents, that ban could be overturned by a future Congress--and there would be lots of pressure to do so. (What do you want to do, tear immigrant families apart?) And any amnesty for children (or grown up children), however carefully targeted, will create an incentive for their parents to smuggle them in. ... 4:50 p.m.

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/kausfi...n-t-died.html#

IDim 11-23-2010 07:48 PM

Re: Wake Up, Yahoos! DREAM Hasn't Died.

If Obama could somehow get the DREAM passed, I would worship him as my own personal savior.

DA User 11-23-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDim (Post 185883)
If Obama could somehow get the DREAM passed, I would worship him as my own personal savior.

He still has the authority for an EO.

dreamer4ever 11-23-2010 07:51 PM

what are the possibilities of yomama to make an executive order ?

hgr1915 11-23-2010 07:52 PM

Correct me if am wrong, but are they worried DA might pass????

IDim 11-23-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgr1915 (Post 185891)
Correct me if am wrong, but are they worried DA might pass????

Yeah, the guy who wrote that article sounds like a douche.

dreamer4ever 11-23-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

“I don’t have a whip count on it. … Our priority is making sure no one gets a tax hike and funding the government while reducing spending.”

...good for us DA blockage is not a priority for GOP, we have to thank the 2% richest American for lobbying for tax cut!

iDream 11-23-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer4ever (Post 185890)

LMAO!!

californiadreamer 11-23-2010 07:55 PM

If the Democrats want to get the FULL support of the immigrant community come 2012, they better pass the DREAM Act. If they just bring it up without any intention of passing it, it would look nothing more than a political ploy.

iDream 11-23-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer4ever (Post 185890)

hahahaha YO MAMA JOKES TIME!

http://images.zwani.com/graphics/yo_...s/chatroom.gif