DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Trump Administration Finally Admitted It's Denying Housing Loans To DACA Recipien (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83647)

Red neck 06-13-2019 01:00 PM

The Trump Administration Finally Admitted It's Denying Housing Loans To DACA Recipien

The Trump administration has admitted for the first time that young immigrants who were brought to the US illegally as children are being turned down for federally-backed housing loans, after housing secretary Ben Carson denied it in Congressional testimony earlier this year.

“Because DACA does not confer lawful status, DACA recipients remain ineligible for FHA loans,” Len Wolfson a Department of Housing and Urban Development official, wrote in a letter to Rep. Pete Aguilar on Tuesday.

The loans, insured by the Federal Housing Administration (which is part of HUD), are intended to make home ownership more accessible with lower credit score and deposit requirements.

Carson denied that young immigrants with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status were being turned away for the loans while testifying at a Congressional hearing in April. BuzzFeed News first reported in December that the Department of Housing and Urban Development was quietly advising lenders to deny DACA recipients the government-insured loans.

“I asked around after I read that story,” Carson told members of Congress. “No one was aware of any changes that had been made to the policy whatsoever. I’m sure we have plenty of DACA recipients who have FHA-backed loans.”

He added that it would “surprise” him if DACA recipients were being turned down.

After Carson’s denials, more lenders were told by FHA help desks and HUD officials at conferences that they would not back loans for DACA recipients.

“The explanation we received from HUD is inconsistent with the realities on the ground and statements made by Secretary Carson to members of the Appropriations Committee, and it does nothing to clarify the confusion created by the agency’s inconsistent policies," said Rep. Aguilar in a statement to BuzzFeed News on Thursday.

"We know that DACA recipients have received these loans in the past, and it’s shameful that HUD is allowing the president’s anti-immigrant agenda to dictate housing policy,” Aguilar said.

BuzzFeed News’ initial reporting was based on interviews with people who lost out on the loans because of their immigration status, as well as loan officers, realtors, and industry associations, who said they had never been told DACA recipients were ineligible until the Trump administration and Carson took office.

“HUD has been very clear that it has not implemented any policy changes during the current Administration, either formal or informal, with respect to FHA eligibility requirements for DACA recipients. This letter confirms that fact,” Wolfson wrote in the letter, obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The FHA has never had an explicit policy about DACA recipients. The FHA’s single-family housing handbook, the set of rules the agency refers lenders to, only says that an Employment Authorization Document — which DACA recipients have — is necessary “to substantiate work status” for noncitizens and qualify for the housing loans.

Wolfson’s letter argues that “Since at least October 2003, FHA has maintained published policy that non-U.S. citizens without lawful residency “are not eligible for FHA-insured loans” and then goes on to say that when DACA was created in 2012, former secretary of homeland security Janet Napolitano said the status “confers no substantive right, immigration status or pathway to citizenship.”

Danielle Hernandez, an underwriter who wrote a blog post last September about the conflict between what lenders were being told and what is spelled out in the FHA handbook, maintains that HUD’s position does not make sense given its own guidelines.

“FHA doesn’t require a citizenship or a lawful status, they just require them to be residing lawfully and the USCIS website says they are to be considered lawfully present while they are in deferment,” she said. “Citizenship is not required.”

“Until 2016 and the Trump administration, it had never been an issue. They were considered eligible,” she said.

She also pointed to Fannie Mae, the government-sponsored mortgage association, which she says has similar guidelines to the FHA and recently released a policy reiterating that it has always and will continue to provide DACA recipients with conventional home loans.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ing-ben-carson

MIdreamer 06-13-2019 01:16 PM

Re: The Trump Administration Finally Admitted It's Denying Housing Loans To DACA Reci

Trump being the president is just a nightmare for Dreamers and DACA.

dreamer__13 06-13-2019 01:38 PM

Re: The Trump Administration Finally Admitted It's Denying Housing Loans To DACA Reci

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIdreamer (Post 737496)
Trump being the president is just a nightmare for Dreamers and DACA.

For everyone in general. Except rural white people.

MAGA.

legendver2 06-13-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer__13 (Post 737497)
For everyone in general. Except rural white people.

MAGA.

It's a nightmare for them too. They just don't know it yet or refuse to acknowledge it lol.

Hallowpoint1911 06-13-2019 02:03 PM

Karma will get trump, he won’t be in office forever.

BestBefore1984 06-13-2019 02:47 PM

Trump also admitted that he would accept information on his opponents from a foreign government. In other words, he said he did collude with the Ruskies. Fuck you Trump. Blow me you orange fat piece of shit.

legendver2 06-13-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallowpoint1911 (Post 737500)
Karma will get trump, he won’t be in office forever.

Karma ain't getting shit lol. Dude's already at the twilight of his life, he's already enjoyed a good ass chunk of it, even if karma strikes, he'd lose what, 5 years? It won't matter. Only slight consolation is if those remaining 5+ years would be behind bars, but I doubt that's gonna happen at all.

isk84life 06-13-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendver2 (Post 737506)
Karma ain't getting shit lol. Dude's already at the twilight of his life, he's already enjoyed a good ass chunk of it, even if karma strikes, he'd lose what, 5 years? It won't matter. Only slight consolation is if those remaining 5+ years would be behind bars, but I doubt that's gonna happen at all.

Don’t think a judge would send him to jail at an even more advanced age too.

BestBefore1984 06-13-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isk84life (Post 737507)
Don’t think a judge would send him to jail at an even more advanced age too.

See Manafort. Trump is going to jail. Trumo Jr testified yesterday and I believe maybe today also. He stuck with his original lies, which means he perjured himself again. He will go to jail.

BTW...

Did you guys see him refer the Prince of Wales as the Prince of Whales? No really. He did that and removed it about 15 min after people were calling him out. I and many others took screenshots and posted them on his updated tweet. People were also posting gifs and images of Whales and occasionally a whale with the prince's head photoshopped to it.

Seriously, this is the deranged man that is running this country. What a complete cluster fuck of a joke.

Do you guys really want to be residents and citizens of a country that elects dumbasses like this?

What a farce.

Alby 06-13-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestBefore1984 (Post 737516)
See Manafort. Trump is going to jail. Trumo Jr testified yesterday and I believe maybe today also. He stuck with his original lies, which means he perjured himself again. He will go to jail.

BTW...

Did you guys see him refer the Prince of Wales as the Prince of Whales? No really. He did that and removed it about 15 min after people were calling him out. I and many others took screenshots and posted them on his updated tweet. People were also posting gifs and images of Whales and occasionally a whale with the prince's head photoshopped to it.

Seriously, this is the deranged man that is running this country. What a complete cluster fuck of a joke.

Do you guys really want to be residents and citizens of a country that elects dumbasses like this?

What a farce.

I just want to be able to earn dollars in San Diego and cross over to TJ to my 3 floor luxurious house and watch the beautiful sunsets in Baja with my three Mexican wives. Then cross back to SD for another work week. I don’t really care about being a citizen. I want to enjoy the best of MX/US. I would take DACA with parole till I retire.