DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   So... my FAFSA got sent back. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9978)

Dan 03-15-2009 01:09 PM

So... my FAFSA got sent back.

Didn't see that coming.

People without an SSN can't file a FAFSA online this year, so I sent mine through the mail with entirely accurate information and whatnot, but instead of an SSN, I just put "--- -- ----".

It got sent back, saying that they can not file the form because I "failed to enter a Social Security Number."

I read somewhere that one in our situation ought to put "000-00-0000" in the form to make it work.

Any ideas?

Pretty desperate... Penn State and Rutgers already accepted me, dono what to do now.

- Dan

cindy555 03-15-2009 01:28 PM

Re: So... my FAFSA got sent back.

Hi Dan, well as far I know we cannot apply for Federal Aid (and that's FAFSA). You should look for state financial aid if they offer it in your state. In Texas we have to file for the TAFSA to apply for state grants. Contact the school and tell them about your situation and ask for state forms. Good luck! :)

Dan 03-15-2009 01:42 PM

A FAFSA serves two purposes:

a.) to apply for financial aid from the federal government
b.) to notify the school of your financial backgrounds, i.e., how much money your family has

I already know that financial aid is out of the question for me, but filing a FAFSA is a requirement for the schools I've applied for.

Besides, most of my schools are out of state, so...

State forms would render themselves useless.

hrvatica13 03-15-2009 02:36 PM

Fill out a paper version and send it in.

deftbeta 03-15-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy555 (Post 121251)
Hi Dan, well as far I know we cannot apply for Federal Aid (and that's FAFSA). You should look for state financial aid if they offer it in your state. In Texas we have to file for the TAFSA to apply for state grants. Contact the school and tell them about your situation and ask for state forms. Good luck! :)

Some don't take the TAFSA in Texas though....so the paper FAFSA it is...just make sure you send these documents to the University's Fin Aid office.

bn1 03-15-2009 02:59 PM

What if you use your ITIN?

juang 03-15-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn1 (Post 121263)
What if you use your ITIN?

as far as I know the ITIN is for tax purposes only

Fayth 03-15-2009 05:21 PM

Did you email Penn State and Rutgers and tell them about your situation? They should tell you want to do.

dreamerhippie 03-15-2009 06:18 PM

Erase / Rewind

ehfornue 03-15-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamerhippie (Post 121275)
you can send in your fafsa, you just have to check the ineligible box. that disqualifies you from federal aid that we're not eligible for anyway.

for your ssn, just put in a string of 0's. send it back in.

What!!! :-o

I can receive FAFSA?