DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Can I keep both WA and CA DL? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41200)

Ocean 03-17-2013 11:16 PM

Can I keep both WA and CA DL?

My WA driver's license does not expire until the next year.

So do I need to notify WA DMV and CA DMV about my home address?

Or can I keep both while WA driver's license expire until next year?

I am going to take a dl test around this week.

Thanks.

butterflynans 03-17-2013 11:22 PM

Re: Can I keep both WA and CA DL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 446306)

Thanks.

i think you have to turn in your WA dl to the CA DMV and go from there. i think CA will take it from you... and i don't know if they return it to WA or archive it.
in the old days, you didn't need to retest, you would just trade the dl. not sure if its still the same,

omg les miserables is coming on DVD friday!!! woo hoooo

zq729 03-17-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 446306)

Thanks.

Practically you can; you just need to re take the permit test and road test for CA DL! by not informing that you have a WA DL, I don't think CA DMV will know it since applying WA DL doesn't require you to have a SSN# ( applying new CA DL with your SSN will just be a re-start of all DL process)! Legally, you will need to trade in your WA DL for CA DL. you are not suppose to have two DL! .............. according to my opinion !

Ocean 03-17-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterflynans (Post 446311)
i think you have to turn in your WA dl to the CA DMV and go from there. i think CA will take it from you... and i don't know if they return it to WA or archive it.
in the old days, you didn't need to retest, you would just trade the dl. not sure if its still the same,

omg les miserables is coming on DVD friday!!! woo hoooo

Darn! I was hoping I don't need to take a test but I have 99% feeling of that I have to take a test. But I am sure I can do fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zq729 (Post 446320)
Practically you can; you just need to re take the permit test and road test for CA DL! by not informing that you have a WA DL, I don't think CA DMV will know it since applying WA DL doesn't require you to have a SSN# ( applying new CA DL with your SSN will just be a re-start of all DL process)! Legally, you will need to trade in your WA DL for CA DL. you are not suppose to have two DL! .............. according to my opinion !

That's exactly what I thought. If they find later that I have also WA DL even though I didn't put any SSN in WA DL, can they revoke both licenses? That would ruin my hope.

butterflynans 03-17-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 446337)
Darn! I was hoping I don't need to take a test but I have 99% feeling of that I have to take a test. But I am sure I can do fine.

That's exactly what I thought. If they find later that I have also WA DL even though I didn't put any SSN in WA DL, can they revoke both licenses? That would ruin my hope.

why do you want to keep both licenses if your DACA approved!!?

zq729 03-17-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 446337)

why you need to take the DL test again! aren't you have a valid(not expired) WA DL. why dont you just change it to CA DL and give CA DMV your WA DL?

butterflynans 03-17-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zq729 (Post 446346)
why you need to take the DL test again! aren't you have a valid(not expired) WA DL. why dont you just change it to CA DL and give CA DMV your WA DL?

i wasn't sure you can still do that. that's what i thought would be the most ideal thing to do.

Pianoswithoutfaith 03-17-2013 11:59 PM

well, its illegal to have two DLs and a cop will punch hole it.

You could get into some legal issues

zq729 03-18-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterflynans (Post 446347)
i wasn't sure you can still do that. that's what i thought would be the most ideal thing to do.

why can't you! let's say A legal WA resident move to CA for whatever reason (work, relocation..), dont he or she need to change their license ( and i dont think you need to take the DL test again). legally you need to change your license if you move to another state and become a resident of that state (time may vary from state to state) !

Pianoswithoutfaith 03-18-2013 12:13 AM

if you move to a different state, you have to establish residency there by proving proof like rent bill, utility bills and what not. Each state have their own requirements. If you want to get a CAL DL you WILL need to hand over your other one. Each state has its own rules regarding that, it could be you need to take just the tests on paper (computer) or you need to take a driver tests again. I would go into the CAL DMV online website and look there to see what are their requirements.