DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   DO /POD School (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81668)

jaws 04-21-2018 12:48 AM

DO /POD School
 
Has anyone had any issues applying to DO or POD schools. I've seen a lot of literature for MD schools but none for DO or POD. I have seen lists of MD schools that accept DACA but none for DO or POD. If you've been accepted or are navigate the waters as well, let me know how you're doing .

Should I even include that I'm a DACA student in my personal statement?

If this information is up somewhere I didn't find it, spare me the sass.

freshh. 04-21-2018 01:45 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws (Post 702281)
Has anyone had any issues applying to DO or POD schools. I've seen a lot of literature for MD schools but none for DO or POD. I have seen lists of MD schools that accept DACA but none for DO or POD. If you've been accepted or are navigate the waters as well, let me know how you're doing.

Should I even include that I'm a DACA student in my personal statement?

If this information is up somewhere I didn't find it, spare me the sass.

First, congrats on deciding to go to med school! I'm applying next cycle. Planning to take the MCAT March 2019.

It's tough finding information on DO programs. I'm not planning to apply to podiatry school, so I haven't looked into their DACA policies, to be honest.

I can share the links that I've found so far.

As far as your personal statement goes, I think it's definitely up to you. If being undocumented has influenced your decision to attend medical school, it is worth being the focus of your personal statement. Otherwise, you do not have to include it (but I'm not 100% sure where else you would have the opportunity to mention this to Adcoms).

jaws 04-21-2018 05:45 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by freshh. (Post 702320)
First, congrats on deciding to go to med school! I'm applying next cycle. Planning to take the MCAT March 2019.

It's tough finding information on DO programs. I'm not planning to apply to podiatry school, so I haven't looked into their DACA policies, to be honest.

I can share the links that I've found so far.

As far as your personal statement goes, I think it's definitely up to you. If being undocumented has influenced your decision to attend medical school, it is worth being the focus of your personal statement. Otherwise, you do not have to include it (but I'm not 100% sure where else you would have the opportunity to mention this to Adcoms).



See I think it would be critical to my personal statement. DACA gave me, like many others a backbone. But I'm worried that I would be rejected based off of the fact that I'm daca. I know that Adcom read our statements and goes over our application but I don't know if they would know I'm DACA unless I told them. Obviously my social and legal paperwork would give that away, but It's not like it's something they look out for . I don't really know if it's something that can be held against me.

johnfreyan 04-22-2018 02:19 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Hey. Current MD student here. I'm also on my school's interview committee (so I interview people with focus based on their grades/personap statement). PM me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help (both of you). :)

freshh. 04-22-2018 09:21 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws (Post 702344)
See I think it would be critical to my personal statement. DACA gave me, like many others a backbone. But I'm worried that I would be rejected based off of the fact that I'm daca. I know that Adcom read our statements and goes over our application but I don't know if they would know I'm DACA unless I told them. Obviously my social and legal paperwork would give that away, but It's not like it's something they look out for . I don't really know if it's something that can be held against me.

I would definitely include it. I will be addressing my status because it has played a role in my decision to pursue medicine as well. Speaking with some other DACAmented med students, it isn’t held against you in any way. As a matter of fact many see it as a strength because it is an obstacle yet we have persevered to reach this point in our careers.


Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfreyan (Post 702353)
Hey. Current MD student here. I'm also on my school's interview committee (so I interview people with focus based on their grades/personap statement). PM me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help (both of you). :)

Thanks! ;)

Phryne_MD 04-25-2018 10:50 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
I will be starting Medical School this fall, please let me know if you guys have any specific questions about applying, interviewing or others. @Jaws , I pm'ed to answer some of your concerns. Good Luck!!

freshh. 04-26-2018 07:16 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phryne_MD (Post 702723)
I will be starting Medical School this fall, please let me know if you guys have any specific questions about applying, interviewing or others. @Jaws , I pm'ed to answer some of your concerns. Good Luck!!

Congrats! :D

I'm just really glad to see that despite everything, we are still getting through this and pursuing this passion.

Thank you for sharing your stories!

fl_dreamer 04-26-2018 11:12 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws (Post 702344)
See I think it would be critical to my personal statement. DACA gave me, like many others a backbone. But I'm worried that I would be rejected based off of the fact that I'm daca. I know that Adcom read our statements and goes over our application but I don't know if they would know I'm DACA unless I told them. Obviously my social and legal paperwork would give that away, but It's not like it's something they look out for . I don't really know if it's something that can be held against me.

Play the "being from an immigrant family.." card. I would not include anything about DACA. Better safe that sorry

Phryne_MD 04-27-2018 11:46 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by freshh. (Post 702884)
Congrats! :D

I'm just really glad to see that despite everything, we are still getting through this and pursuing this passion.

Thank you for sharing your stories!

Thank you, is def possible. To the poster above I disagree. You are limited to the schools you can apply because not all schools accept DACA applicants, but honestly all successful applicants I know were honest about their status. If a school doesn't support you bc of DACA then this is a school that wouldn't have your back anyways. Med school is hard, being DACA is hard, being in a supportive environment is crucial during this period. Additionally, you cant just lie or pretend you are not DACA, it will come out sooner or later and you do have to identify your status in your primary application, and thanks to advocacy efforts by previous pre-med dreamers, DACA is actually an option you can choose, we are def visible. For financial aid purposes, the schools have to know, and the sooner they know about your status the sooner they can figure out ways to help you or even be honest with you if they cant help you financially. Again, feel free to ask me any questions if you have when you apply.

johnfreyan 04-28-2018 05:34 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_dreamer (Post 702891)
Play the "being from an immigrant family.." card. I would not include anything about DACA. Better safe that sorry

If the school declares itself as available for DACA applicants, they are obviously not seeing DACA as a detriment. They would in fact interpret that as a huge "overcomimg hardship" factor, which is a giant plus.

Jon 04-28-2018 07:33 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Guys I just graduated today for my rn bsn :)

johnfreyan 04-28-2018 10:19 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon (Post 703166)
Guys I just graduated today for my rn bsn :)

Congratulations!!

Jon 04-29-2018 10:15 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfreyan (Post 703170)
Congratulations!!

Thank you!!

sdh02 05-01-2018 12:35 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
I graduated last week from pharmacy school and I already accepted a job offer!

freshh. 05-01-2018 01:13 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdh02 (Post 703423)
I graduated last week from pharmacy school and I already accepted a job offer!

Congratulations! :D I'm a current pharmacy tech. So, just know you're out here doing God's work because these prescriptions are hard to read! :lol:

dreamerinprogess 05-01-2018 01:54 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Well congratulations, was thinking about going back to school for pharmacy but decided not too until I receive permanent residency. I'm already in the health care field and would just continue with my current job. But its good to read that you received a job offer already as I was having some concerns about the job market for pharmacy graduates.

jaws 05-01-2018 07:22 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Ya'll are fucking awesome!!! I love the support that comes from this group. Limitations or not we are breaking ground.

sdh02 05-01-2018 09:52 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by freshh. (Post 703429)
Congratulations! :D I'm a current pharmacy tech. So, just know you're out here doing God's work because these prescriptions are hard to read! :lol:

Thank you! I really appreciate all the hard work done by pharm tech as well :grin:

sdh02 05-01-2018 09:54 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamerinprogess (Post 703434)
Well congratulations, was thinking about going back to school for pharmacy but decided not too until I receive permanent residency. I'm already in the health care field and would just continue with my current job. But its good to read that you received a job offer already as I was having some concerns about the job market for pharmacy graduates.

Thank you! Tbh the job market is a legitimate concern and I think you should really think carefully if you decide to go back to pharmacy later on. I personally had to move out to a rural area to land a full-time job. There are jobs out there but you have to be willing to relocate.

unthinkable 05-02-2018 12:52 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Great to hear successful stories!!! I freaking love you all!!!

dreamerinprogess 05-02-2018 06:18 AM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdh02 (Post 703570)
Thank you! Tbh the job market is a legitimate concern and I think you should really think carefully if you decide to go back to pharmacy later on. I personally had to move out to a rural area to land a full-time job. There are jobs out there but you have to be willing to relocate.

okay thanks for the reply. I have no problem moving. I just want to get my immigration status sorted out first. When thats taken care of, then I think I will start on my pharmacy journey. Is the pay decent for new graduate pharmacists?

sdh02 05-02-2018 03:28 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamerinprogess (Post 703625)
okay thanks for the reply. I have no problem moving. I just want to get my immigration status sorted out first. When thats taken care of, then I think I will start on my pharmacy journey. Is the pay decent for new graduate pharmacists?

It depends on your geographical location and pharmacy setting (hospital vs retail). But for retail, you are probably looking at at least 100k a year for full-time employment.

AsianDreamer 08-19-2019 12:41 PM

Re: DO /POD School
 
How is everyone doing? I decided to go to a medical school after working for a few years. I will take some prereq courses this fall. Do you guys study MCAT on your own or take a prep class? Is anyone planning to apply the next cycle?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.