DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I just got my New Mexico driver's license. What now? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14590)

A-Mart 04-27-2010 02:57 PM

I just got my New Mexico driver's license. What now?

I had a Texas driver's license. It expired the day I turned 24. I didn't want to drive without a license after that day, so I got an apartment in New Mexico and managed to get my driver's license there. Problem is, I'm still living and plan to still live in TX. Any idea as to how to be insured while driving in TX with a New Mexico driver's license? If I'm pulled over in TX, and the officer asks why I have a New Mexico license, what's something acceptable that I could say? Thank you.

Sonawabich 04-27-2010 03:52 PM

Re: I just got my New Mexico driver's license. What now?

say you just moved here

wildkc82 04-27-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Mart (Post 156714)
I had a Texas driver's license. It expired the day I turned 24. I didn't want to drive without a license after that day, so I got an apartment in New Mexico and managed to get my driver's license there. Problem is, I'm still living and plan to still live in TX. Any idea as to how to be insured while driving in TX with a New Mexico driver's license? If I'm pulled over in TX, and the officer asks why I have a New Mexico license, what's something acceptable that I could say? Thank you.

im planning on going this summer!~ did you drive or fly there? and were you able to rent the apartment for just one month?

MDxOD 04-28-2010 02:43 PM

You can always see if someone in your family can get you a car under there name or something, and then if your ever pulled over say you are visiting, because you go to school in NM but your family resides in TX

A-Mart 04-29-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildkc82 (Post 156721)
im planning on going this summer!~ did you drive or fly there? and were you able to rent the apartment for just one month?

I drove there. I signed a 3-month lease on an apartment.

VicTheWick 04-30-2010 09:45 PM

Can one get license at N.M after original license expired? I have NY license that is expired and really want to renew it somehow as I drive for a living. Please advise.
Thanks

MDxOD 05-02-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicTheWick (Post 157255)
Can one get license at N.M after original license expired? I have NY license that is expired and really want to renew it somehow as I drive for a living. Please advise.
Thanks

In NY, you should be able to renew it without trouble.....do it by mail, pay the fee, it should work. I know a lot of people who renew in NY who have it but dont have proper status.

Correct me if rules have changed recently.

chopstix 05-02-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDxOD (Post 157435)
In NY, you should be able to renew it without trouble.....do it by mail, pay the fee, it should work. I know a lot of people who renew in NY who have it but dont have proper status.

Correct me if rules have changed recently.

You must be wrong, because you need to fill out SSN in anyway you do it.

MDxOD 05-02-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicTheWick (Post 157255)
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopstix (Post 157440)
You must be wrong, because you need to fill out SSN in anyway you do it.

How is it possible to get a license in NYC without an SSN? The people i know of have overstayed, but they still have SSN's that are "not valid without work authorization"

Im talking people who made it say 1995ish, they should still be able to renew it, with the same social they used. If this person got a license in NY, chances are they have one of these socials.

VicTheWick 05-02-2010 08:43 PM

I had my license without SSN. I went to social security office and they gave me a letter saying that I'm not eligible for SSN. That was 8 years ago. Now, they sent me a letter saying that if I want to renew my license I have to come in to prove my status as DMV has no SSN on file. I have my car registered under my mothers name. My license has expired. What would be the worst case scenario if police stop me? I heard that you get a ticket. But will the cop ask me for valid ID and if I don't have any can he arrest me? Are there any states that one can get license without SSN?