DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   just financed a car, now bank is asking for my proof of citizenship or green card. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83350)

eckounlimitd 02-09-2019 10:31 PM

just financed a car, now bank is asking for my proof of citizenship or green card.

Hey guys.

I'm a bit on a dilemma. I just financed my first car every through Subaru. I'm currently under DACA and was a bit worried about the process. Everything went smoothly with running my credit. My credit was decent, but apparently, the length of credit is a bit short. Anyways, I was approved, signed the paperwork, went home and 3 hours later, salesman tells me that i need to send them a picture of my green card? At that time I was a bit shocked and scared so I said yes and just hung up. Now I'm working with them, telling them i'm in the process of getting mine, and they ask me if i can send form i551 which i dont have.

Just wondering if anyone dealt with this situation before? Last time I tried financing a car the salesman asked me if my social security card have the word only valid for employment on it. I just froze at that point and walked away.

I live in cali. Any help would be great.

2MoreYears 02-09-2019 11:04 PM

Re: just financed a car, now bank is asking for my proof of citizenship or green card

You need a cosigner.

The lack of credit history is the issue imo. I went through the same situation when I financed my car.

Something showed in the credit report that made the loan officer asked if I had a visa and suggested a lease instead. Unless I had a cosigner which I did.

Didn't have the same issue buying a house. I think because I had already established some credit history.

Good luck!

Malign0n 02-09-2019 11:50 PM

Re: just financed a car, now bank is asking for my proof of citizenship or green card

Isn’t there also an indicator for social security numbers generated after 2011

JohannBernoulli1667 02-10-2019 12:05 AM

I had no problem financing, I have 4 cars since I buy for my parents.

Just got a 2018 Fiesta St, a rocket.

Find another dealer, no need to deal with BS people who don't k ow how to do bussiness.

You can also consider getting credit from a credit union, I don't have experience on this as I haven't needed it. Some people can get a better rate and also, you can negotiate a better price for the car since you are handing them a check.

Some. Dealerships have their own financing but usually they have super high interest.

JohannBernoulli1667 02-10-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckounlimitd (Post 732644)
Hey guys.

I'm a bit on a dilemma. I just financed my first car every through Subaru. I'm currently under DACA and was a bit worried about the process. Everything went smoothly with running my credit. My credit was decent, but apparently, the length of credit is a bit short. Anyways, I was approved, signed the paperwork, went home and 3 hours later, salesman tells me that i need to send them a picture of my green card? At that time I was a bit shocked and scared so I said yes and just hung up. Now I'm working with them, telling them i'm in the process of getting mine, and they ask me if i can send form i551 which i dont have.

Just wondering if anyone dealt with this situation before? Last time I tried financing a car the salesman asked me if my social security card have the word only valid for employment on it. I just froze at that point and walked away.

I live in cali. Any help would be great.

Wait for feed back from people in Cali, they should know of a good sales man who knows how to deal with this issues.

jaylove16 02-10-2019 12:49 AM

Or you can up your down payment. Had to do that when I got my Mercedez. Eliminated my need for a co-signer etc .

Erik1421 02-10-2019 03:12 AM

Give them your EAD. If they don't want to finance, then go to a lender. A local credit union would work best. I have gotten rejected from multiple agencies, however I have also bought my car, paid off said car, bought a house on a mortage, got rejected for a refinancing deal, and recently gotten accepted for a second mortage. IF you want to take the easier route, get a cosigner.

JJ Glo 02-10-2019 03:15 AM

Just be truthful, tell them you don't have a green card all you have is your work permit and social. Dealers work with many lenders, they'll make it work and get you financing with a less stricter bank.

bigdreamer2010 02-10-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Glo (Post 732659)
Just be truthful, tell them you don't have a green card all you have is your work permit and social. Dealers work with many lenders, they'll make it work and get you financing with a less stricter bank.

Exactly. I had a similar issue getting a mortgage. I got pre approved by 1 company and then after they found out I have DACA they took it away. My real estate agent and the seller referred me to 2 other lenders and they both approved me for the loan(with better terms) with DACA.

So yeah screw that bank, let the seller find another lender or you do some leg work yourself and find your own lender.

eckounlimitd 02-10-2019 12:09 PM

thank you for all the feedback guys. i decided it'll be better for me to go through a credit union. so far school and work has been killing my free time. i gone to one credit union so far with no luck due to the fact that i don't have an account with them. I opened a checking account through them though. For the meantime, i told the dealer that I want to go through financing the car through my own bank and to cancel my contract, now there telling me i have to pay restocking fees and dealer fees totalling up to 1,500 dollars. I really dont know if this is fair.