DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The PROUD Act introduced in the 112th Congress (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19724)

Jaliciense _DREAMER 01-11-2011 09:54 PM

The PROUD Act introduced in the 112th Congress

Hello everyone,

I came across this piece of legislation and was completely thrown off. The PROUD Act is like a "weaker" version of the DREAM Act. The chances of it passing indeed seem low, but let's see what happens. At least, this bill brings up the issue of immigration for discussion--which can lead to a discussion on CIR sooner than later. The text of the article is pasted below:

Date: January 7, 2010
Linda Macias (202) 225-6161

NEWS RELEASE...

Baca Sponsors Bill to Restructure Naturalization Process for Exemplary High School Graduates
Bill Allows Non-Citizen Graduates in Good Academic and Moral Standing to Apply for Citizenship

Washington, DC – Today, Congressman Joe Baca (D-Rialto) introduced legislation to allow motivated immigrant high school graduates to apply for United States citizenship after meeting certain academic requirements, which would replace the naturalization exam, and paying a reduced fee. The People Resolved to Obtain an Understanding of Democracy (PROUD) Act, mandates that any high school graduate who can furnish transcripts proving completion of grades 6 through 12, displays an understanding of United States history, government and civics, and can prove they are of good moral character be allowed to apply for U.S. citizenship.

“America is the land of opportunity, we are blessed to live in a nation where people of diverse backgrounds can come together as one,” said Rep. Baca. “The PROUD Act is important legislation that puts our most responsible and successful immigrant students on a streamlined path for citizenship, and at the same time motivates all our students to do their best and to stay out of trouble.”

Currently, the minimum age to take the United States citizenship exam as part of the naturalization process is 18 years. The PROUD Act would amend the Immigration Nationality Act to allow exemplary non-citizen high school graduates, who are of age, to apply for citizenship as long as they provide the necessary academic transcripts, proof of essential civic knowledge, and are in good moral standing within the community.

“It is wrong to have policies that unfairly punish the innocent young people who came to America by no choice of their own as children,” concluded Rep. Baca. “By recognizing those hard-working, immigrant students who are here to make a better life for themselves and their families, the PROUD Act can make a positive impact in schools and communities throughout our nation. And by increasing the number of high-skilled, citizen workers, this legislation can boost our economic recovery by creating additional tax revenue at the local, state, and federal level.”

Rep. Baca also sponsored the PROUD Act in the previous (111th) Congress. The legislation was included as a key provision in the larger comprehensive immigration reform legislation introduced in the House of Representatives, H.R. 4321, CIR-ASAP. Last Congress, the PROUD Act was endorsed by numerous advocacy organizations including LULAC, HACU, the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, MANA, and the National Latino Farmers & Ranchers Trade Association.

<http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ca43_baca/proud_112th_010711.html>

afloo12345 01-11-2011 11:18 PM

Re: The PROUD Act introduced in the 112th Congress

i dont think there is such things as transcripts from elementary and middle school.

yaystarcraft 01-11-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afloo12345 (Post 206039)
i dont think there is such things as transcripts from elementary and middle school.

um... there is... i have them

yaystarcraft 01-11-2011 11:27 PM

this sounds like something for legal immigrant students. i wonder if we would be able to get status through this.

Jaliciense _DREAMER 01-11-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaystarcraft (Post 206043)
this sounds like something for legal immigrant students. i wonder if we would be able to get status through this.

Yes. That's precisely what is I was thinking. However, calling a legal resident an immigrant is politically incorrect. Plus, why would legal immigrant students complain about the length for obtaining citizenship? That would be taking things for granted.

Overall, the bill is vague, extremely weak, and partisan. I think I have a better chance of seeing a pig fly than witnessing the ratification of this bill. BUT, it does put immigration on the table for discussion.

Qualia 01-11-2011 11:48 PM

LMAO OH MY GOD, Proud act is Dead on arrival.

I laughed hard dap, don't do this to me again.

hooligan111988 01-12-2011 01:50 AM

Proud Act Portal.....proudact.info...lol.

MiGSTeR 01-12-2011 02:08 AM

Yea Proud Act '11 It Will Pass!!! Bennett Will Introduce It!!!!! And Durbin Also Yeaaaa!!!!

DA User 01-12-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afloo12345 (Post 206039)

Yes there is.

DA User 01-12-2011 03:25 AM

We need to push for the PROUD act also.

Lets call/email/fax.