DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Legalization and Immigration Options FAQ (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8146)

Tasksgirl 11-01-2007 03:34 PM

wow thanks for this!!
Thanks for including my new favorite site :wink:

RahmanIV 11-01-2007 05:08 PM

yasyas, I'm talking about the whole process of getting the green card...These other people got it within 3-4 months. People from NYC have to wait about 6-8 months.

az_dreamer 11-05-2007 01:09 AM

Question

Quote:

Otherwise Eligible Immediate Relatives

If "otherwise eligible" to immigrate to the U.S., immediate relatives may adjust status to LPR (get a "green card") in the United States even if they may have done any of the following:

-worked without permission,

-remained in the U.S. past the period of lawful admission (e.g., past the expiration date on your I-94) and filed for adjustment of status while in an unlawful status because of that,

-failed otherwise to maintain lawful status and with the proper immigration documentation, or

-have been admitted as a visitor without a visa under sections 212(l) or 217 of the Act (which are the 15-day admission under the Guam visa waiver program and the 90-day admission under the Visa Waiver Program, respectively).
Can anyone tell me what this is all about? It seems that it contradicts the ban that applies to someone who has been in the U.S. after turning 18. I ask this because my stepdad is a U.S. citizen, and he wants to petition for me, but I'm not sure that's possible since I'm already 18. By the way, I got this from the U.S. immigration website.

Ed 11-05-2007 04:38 AM

great info, make this one a sticky mods!

HOPEFULDREAMER 11-05-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed
great info, make this one a sticky mods!

It already is a sticky.

LOL ;)

ibrahim 11-06-2007 12:53 AM

thanks to this post i found out my mother is grandfather under 245i, now she will be legal soon God willing

Latina~Hispana 11-07-2007 04:04 AM

Is it too late to consult a lawyer and try to do something about my status since I am only 17 and my step dad is a permanent resident? He is only waiting for his appointment I guess?

OR
I heard it was quicker to return to your home country, graduate in a profession, and get a visa pretty quickly..true? I mean, right now I am applying to college, if I was accepted and left before turning 18 would I be able to come back soon enought to start college with a visa? Or maybe I could petition for deferral for a year or something? Would that work?

Sorry I am so inept at this.

ibrahim 11-07-2007 04:46 AM

you should leave now that you are 17 and you wont get the banned for no time, then they can petition for you and you can come back in no time

cadman 11-07-2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latina~Hispana
Is it too late to consult a lawyer and try to do something about my status since I am only 17 and my step dad is a permanent resident? He is only waiting for his appointment I guess?

OR
I heard it was quicker to return to your home country, graduate in a profession, and get a visa pretty quickly..true? I mean, right now I am applying to college, if I was accepted and left before turning 18 would I be able to come back soon enought to start college with a visa? Or maybe I could petition for deferral for a year or something? Would that work?

Sorry I am so inept at this.

Anyone with common sense should know this but know EXACTLY what you are going to do if in fact you want to leave. Speak to a lawyer, do whatever you gotta do but be absolutely sure there will be a solution. Last time I checked, coming back was no easy task.

Youguysareawesome 11-07-2007 07:49 PM

Pingpong you should consider being an immigration lawyer. You're already more competent in immigration law than most.