DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   'Dreamers' deadline looms for Trump (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=77645)

Swim19 08-13-2017 11:24 AM

'Dreamers' deadline looms for Trump

Quote:

The Trump administration is stuck between a rock and a hard place as a deadline approaches for Texas and nine other states to file suit against the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

Neither the White House nor the Justice Department have said whether they’ll defend the Obama-era program that’s set to be challenged in court unless the administration rescinds it by*Sept. 5.

That puts the administration in difficult territory, particularly given President Trump’s vow to protect recipients of the program, known as “Dreamers.”*
Quote:

Meanwhile, opponents of the program are*pressuring*Trump not only to avoid a defense, but to cancel it outright.

“If the administration chooses not to defend DACA in court, then the program may simply die a quiet legal death,” Steven Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS), a think tank that advocates for reduced immigration,*wrote*for the National Review.

“But there is no need to wait; the president should take this opportunity and honor his campaign pledge to end the program,” he*added.

The legal challenge faces a number of obstacles, which could serve as a reason for Trump to punt on any action.

“There's no guarantee that the state of Texas will be allowed by Judge Hanen to convert a challenge of DAPA to a challenge of DACA,” said Thomas A. Saenz, president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense Fund (MALDEF).

“If I were the Trump administration, I would not respond by*Sept. 5.”

The fact that it has been in effect for five years will make it harder for Paxton to prove that DACA could cause irreparable harm to the plaintiffs, a necessary burden for a preliminary injunction, Saenz said.

If Hanen refuses to grant an injunction, the case would have to be settled on its merits, a process that could be time consuming and complex.

Quote:

But the impending court challenge has fewer supporters than the 2015 case, suggesting some attorneys general see a closer parallel with the case that originally upheld DACA. Of the 26 states that signed on against DAPA, only 10 are supporting Paxton's suit.

And administration officials’ reluctance to speak out against the program has emboldened its supporters, who believe they can make their case with so-far-silent allies within the Trump administration.

http://thehill.com/latino/345946-dac...rnd=1502535476

JohannBernoulli1667 08-13-2017 11:43 AM

Re: 'Dreamers' deadline looms for Trump

Meanwhile there is speculation that Bannon is going to get kicked out. Scaramucci better be right on that one...

Kelly is working hard over the break to fix the White House.

I have to say, Trump disappointed me with his retarded condemnation of Nazi white supremacists...

Swim19 08-13-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohannBernoulli1667 (Post 624554)
Meanwhile there is speculation that Bannon is going to get kicked out. Scaramucci better be right on that one...

Kelly is working hard over the break to fix the White House.

I have to say, Trump disappointed me with his retarded condemnation of Nazi white supremacists...

Hopefully Scaramucci is correct. Though I've heard that Bannon might be more of a liability to Trump outside the WH than inside (where WH can somewhat control him).

It's sad when Sessions has a stronger condemnation against the Nazi White Supremacists than Trump.

JohannBernoulli1667 08-13-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 624555)
Hopefully Scaramucci is correct. Though I've heard that Bannon might be more of a liability to Trump outside the WH than inside (where WH can somewhat control him).

It's sad when Sessions has a stronger condemnation against the Nazi White Supremacists than Trump.

Definitely not a good move for Trump. This will significantly undermine his agenda and energize the left. From his perspective these people are most of his supporters, when in reality they are not such a big number. He will lose a lot of centrist if he keeps doing this, even evangelicals are more conservative real republicans.

I am actually afraid that his mental health is declining after this...

eva02 08-13-2017 12:03 PM

What happened yesterday was awful. Even worse was Trump's response. He doesn't even care about white people when they are our allies and standing up against neo Nazi terrorist. Sad!

Laterlater 08-13-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 624553)

"The fact that it has been in effect for five years will make it harder for Paxton to prove that DACA could cause irreparable harm to the plaintiffs, a necessary burden for a preliminary injunction, Saenz said."

"If Hanen refuses to grant an injunction, the case would have to be settled on its merits, a process that could be time consuming and complex."

This.

This is the silver threading.

As Hanens himself ruled and declared:

"The court agrees that, without a preliminary injunction, any subsequent ruling that finds DAPA unlawful after it is implemented would result in the States facing the substantially difficult - if not impossible - tasking of retracing any benefits or licenses already provided to DAPA beneficiaries. This genie would be impossible to put back into the bottle. The Supreme Court has found irreparable injury in from of a payment of an allegedly unconstitutional tax that could not be recovered if the law at issue was ultimately found unlawful."

But DACA is already in place - making a injunction less plausible.
This may just drag out for months - assuming the Administration appeals it. Perhaps even if they don't.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...n-opinion.html

Swim19 08-13-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohannBernoulli1667 (Post 624556)
Definitely not a good move for Trump. This will significantly undermine his agenda and energize the left. From his perspective these people are most of his supporters, when in reality they are not such a big number. He will lose a lot of centrist if he keeps doing this, even evangelicals are more conservative real republicans.

I am actually afraid that his mental health is declining after this...

And that's the problem. No one should want Nazi White Supremacists as your supporters. Trump's daughter and his grandchildren are Jewish (and they are practicing Jews). It boggles my mind.

libertarian1776 08-13-2017 12:15 PM

throw it out! (lawsuit)

WOOOOO!

P.S. i can never understand how you can be an American Patriot and a fucken white supremacist Nazi. We literally fought a World War over this. very sad and not nice!

2MoreYears 08-13-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laterlater (Post 624559)

"The fact that it has been in effect for five years will make it harder for Paxton to prove that DACA could cause irreparable harm to the plaintiffs, a necessary burden for a preliminary injunction, Saenz said."

"If Hanen refuses to grant an injunction, the case would have to be settled on its merits, a process that could be time consuming and complex."

This.

This is the silver threading.

As Hanens himself ruled and declared:

"The court agrees that, without a preliminary injunction, any subsequent ruling that finds DAPA unlawful after it is implemented would result in the States facing the substantially difficult - if not impossible - tasking of retracing any benefits or licenses already provided to DAPA beneficiaries. This genie would be impossible to put back into the bottle. The Supreme Court has found irreparable injury in from of a payment of an allegedly unconstitutional tax that could not be recovered if the law at issue was ultimately found unlawful."

But DACA is already in place - making a injunction less plausible.
This may just drag out for months - assuming the Administration appeals it. Perhaps even if they don't.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...n-opinion.html

Hit the nail in the head! Spot on.

It will definitely cause irreparable injuries to me.

eva02 08-13-2017 12:47 PM

Has Hanen even commented on the lawsuit?

I think there's a reason we were specifically excluded from the DAPA lawsuit.