DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The cubicle life (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83397)

jorgeag92 02-22-2019 03:44 AM

The cubicle life

As the title says, im getting pretty tired of the cubicle life. Im interviewing for new jobs with the hope that maybe a change of scene will help me get excited about going to work again, but Im starting to realize that maybe the cubicle life isnt for me. How do yall deal with having to spend 8+ hours a day in a cubicle?

JayR9 02-22-2019 05:27 AM

Re: The cubicle life

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 733717)
As the title says, im getting pretty tired of the cubicle life. Im interviewing for new jobs with the hope that maybe a change of scene will help me get excited about going to work again, but Im starting to realize that maybe the cubicle life isnt for me. How do yall deal with having to spend 8+ hours a day in a cubicle?

I spent the first 7 month of my consulting career in the office with no travel. I was about to kill myself; every day I would finish my work in less than 3 hrs and spend the rest of the day listening to podcasts until 5 pm. By month 7, I was about to hand in my two weeks resignation until they finally let me start traveling. Traveling was a blast for 2 years and then I got tired of traveling and got a remote job. Now I work from home for about 3 hrs a day and spend the rest of the day doing whatever I want.

If your job has a remote option, I recommend you push for that than trying to cope with cubicle life.

Lambo Mercy 02-22-2019 10:25 AM

Thug life has worked out pretty well for me if you’re looking for a change

fl_dreamer 02-22-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayR9 (Post 733722)
I spent the first 7 month of my consulting career in the office with no travel. I was about to kill myself; every day I would finish my work in less than 3 hrs and spend the rest of the day listening to podcasts until 5 pm. By month 7, I was about to hand in my two weeks resignation until they finally let me start traveling. Traveling was a blast for 2 years and then I got tired of traveling and got a remote job. Now I work from home for about 3 hrs a day and spend the rest of the day doing whatever I want.

If your job has a remote option, I recommend you push for that than trying to cope with cubicle life.

I find myself less productive when I WFH but if you can be disciplined, it is the best option!

jorgeag92 02-22-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayR9 (Post 733722)

This is pretty much what im doing right now. Its slow in the office right now, so Im just going through classes in linkedin. I feel like the office is killing me inside. As soon as I step in Im going dizzy.

IamAman 02-22-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 733717)

Let me put it this way. I would pick an 8 hour cubicle life, if it was a field of my own choosing and I got paid well for it over any of the other alternatives that are available to other undocumented people.

There is the spending 10 hours washing dishes for 7 bucks an hour life.
There is a washing cars all day in freezing weather life.
There is the pouring tar over a scorching roof in july life.
There is the spending all day cleaning jizz off hotel sheets and scrubbing toilets life.
There is the standing in a Home Depot parking lot hoping someone will pick you up to dig ditches life...

See, office work isn't so bad. Just get a nice picture for your cubicle, flirt with Jan at accounting during your coffee break, and enjoy the good life.

bad.bunny 02-22-2019 02:53 PM

What's your field of work?

JayR9 02-22-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_dreamer (Post 733736)
I find myself less productive when I WFH but if you can be disciplined, it is the best option!

I actually got more efficient with my time for my job. I have other ventures I work on during the day.

JayR9 02-22-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 733737)
This is pretty much what im doing right now. Its slow in the office right now, so Im just going through classes in linkedin. I feel like the office is killing me inside. As soon as I step in Im going dizzy.

You're too young to be stuck at a job that doesn't challenge you. Take some risk...worst comes to worst you can always get a similar position again.