DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Just joined the forum! (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33442)

Rae 10-23-2012 12:29 PM

Just joined the forum!

Hi guys!

I submitted my application through a lawyer on August 30. I've walked in early for my biometrics on September 20th, when it was scheduled October 2nd. Currently waiting for my approval! My neighbor(literally, lives infront of me) had his bio appointment the day after I walked in for mine, and he got approved for his permit yesterday. So hopefully, mine gets approved soon!

I overstayed here in December 2002 when I was 9 years old. Came from the Philippines! I just graduated High School last June, so now, I'm just waiting for my work permit so I can join the Air Force. :D

Btw, does anyone here have any experience with joining the military with the work permit + SSN? Curious to how it works, cause I tried to join 2 years ago, and they asked me for my green card. Told me I couldn't join without it.

DreamBig09 10-23-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Just joined the forum!

You cannot join the Air Force with a work permit.

You must be a GC holder or Citizen

leo18 10-23-2012 04:52 PM

I also graduated from HS last june!!

Rae 10-24-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamBig09 (Post 349921)
You cannot join the Air Force with a work permit.

You must be a GC holder or Citizen

I don't get it though. Isn't part of the reason that the DACA happened was so that we're able to go to college, or join the Armed Forces? (and also work)

Umanzor44 10-24-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae (Post 350817)
I don't get it though. Isn't part of the reason that the DACA happened was so that we're able to go to college, or join the Armed Forces? (and also work)

No, that is the Dream Act, DACA is a watered down version of the dream act.

Rae 10-24-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umanzor44 (Post 351272)
No, that is the Dream Act, DACA is a watered down version of the dream act.

sooo......I CAN'T join the Air Force yet....?

Umanzor44 10-25-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae (Post 350817)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae (Post 351709)
sooo......I CAN'T join the Air Force yet....?

No, I'm sorry, unfortunately, you can not. DACA is in no way a method of legalization but just an action taken to delay deportations and to give us work permits so in a way we are legally illegal. However, I am confident that soon the actual dream act will be passed. So, people like you and I are able to serve in our military.

Rae 10-25-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umanzor44 (Post 352200)
No, I'm sorry, unfortunately, you can not. DACA is in no way a method of legalization but just an action taken to delay deportations and to give us work permits so in a way we are legally illegal. However, I am confident that soon the actual dream act will be passed. So, people like you and I are able to serve in our military.

Dang....there goes my planned future....lol. I was planning to join around January or February if it all went according to plan...

Umanzor44 10-25-2012 10:54 PM

Don't worry about it, now you can go to school and work. Education is better than military experience. It's best to get an education and join bc then your worth something you will not just be another private but maybe an officer, although, if im not mistaken i think you have to be a citizen for that.

Rae 10-26-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umanzor44 (Post 353384)
Don't worry about it, now you can go to school and work. Education is better than military experience. It's best to get an education and join bc then your worth something you will not just be another private but maybe an officer, although, if im not mistaken i think you have to be a citizen for that.

Well I know for a fact that if you join the Armed Forces, you AUTOMATICALLY receive citizenship. My friend told me when he was at basic training for the army. He said that during the graduation day, there we're people who joined without citizenship. And when they went on stage to receive the recognition, they were handed their citizenship paperwork and stuff. He said the privates we're all crying.

Also, I DO NOT have money for school. That's why I wanted to join the Air Force cause they pay for college after 2 years.