DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Summarized Driver's License Requirements Thread (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28472)

circasurvive 07-04-2012 10:32 AM

Summarized Driver's License Requirements Thread

Here's a list of all 50 states and their requirements page for obtaining a driver's license. In addition, there's a link on the bottom to a chart explaining the meaning of the different EAD codes.

View online: Click here

12/25/12 UPDATE: Clarified some states in question. HUGE THANKS TO ARCANE! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

fl_dreamer 07-04-2012 11:09 AM

Re: Summarized Driver's License Requirements Thread

This is simply amazing!! Thank you for taking the time to do this. One of the best threads out here! :)

kikibay92 07-04-2012 11:16 AM

This is very helpful. Thanks a lot:D

JohannBernoulli1667 07-04-2012 02:09 PM

Great Job!!! Thanks!!! :-) I am so glad I live in Illinois.

Also, the fact that you provided the links on the requirement cells is awesome!!!

freshh. 07-04-2012 04:25 PM

The Georgia information on the chart should be updated since TPS has nothing to do with Deferred Action and we're still not sure on whether or not we'll be granted travel authorization, which is what both the I-571 & I-327 documents are.

The Georgia DDS website isn't exactly very helpful. It says that we have to provide two documents proving authorized presence/identity. One of these documents is an unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) issued by DHS, form I-766 or Form I-688B. But then the chart says something about travel authorization being required as a second document. I did a little digging and while Approved Deferred Action is not listed on the Georgia DDS website, according to the Georgia statute, it is an acceptable document to obtain a license:
NOTE: Non-citizen customers whose identities are proven using either of the documents below must also present a second document issued by DHS that is acceptable pursuant to O.C.G.A. 40-5-21.1. All Documentation of lawful presence is subject to verification with the DHS' Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program.
Georgia statute outlining acceptable documentation for a Georgia driver's license or identification card:
O.C.G.A. 40-5-21.1 (2010)
40-5-21.1. Temporary licenses, permits, or special identification cards; foreign licenses or identification cards as evidence of legal presence in the United States

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, an applicant who presents in person valid documentary evidence of:

(1) Admission to the United States in a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant status;

(2) A pending or approved application for asylum in the United States;

(3) Admission into the United States in refugee status;

(4) An approved application for temporary protected status in the United States;

(5) Approved deferred action status;

(6) Other federal documentation verified by the United States Department of Homeland Security to be valid documentary evidence of lawful presence in the United States under federal immigration law; or

(7) Verification of lawful presence as provided by Code Section 40-5-21.2

may be issued a temporary license, permit, or special identification card. Such temporary license, permit, or special identification card shall be valid only during the period of time of the applicant's authorized stay in the United States or five years, whichever occurs first.
Georgia DREAMers should be allowed to get a driver's license as long as we have:
  • Deferred Action approval
  • Employment Authorization (EAD)
  • Official Letter from SSA with your Social Security Number
  • Two (2) documents to proving your Residential Address
It's only valid for the length of your Deferred Action. So, the license will only be valid for a up to two years.

Juanjo 07-04-2012 05:56 PM

Thank you! Very helpful. :-)

spartanwarrior 07-04-2012 06:57 PM

dang it, NJ requires a period of driving supervised for 3 months? I don't understand how this goes? A cop stops me if he sees me driving alone during that period? I have a friend who has a NJ driver's license for over 3 years, i guess i would have to drive with him.

greentea 07-04-2012 07:30 PM

Like.

JohannBernoulli1667 07-04-2012 07:42 PM

georgia dreamers should be allowed to get a driver's license as long as we have:
  • deferred action approval
  • employment authorization (ead)
  • official letter from ssa with your social security number
  • two (2) documents to proving your residential address
it's only valid for the length of your deferred action. So, the license will only be valid for a up to two years.[/quote]

great!!!

dreamy14 07-04-2012 07:55 PM

Awesome job guys! Thanks for putting this up. :)