DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Father picked by ICE (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=80575)

fl_dreamer 01-26-2018 04:22 PM

Father picked by ICE

So I don't have much details yet as my conversation with my father has been limited but he was picked up at a random checkpoint on highway 41 in Florida. About 12-15 people were taken. My dad was one of them. Currently wait to go see an immigration judge. Might be moved to Miami or Texas.

No criminal background, has been pay taxes religiously for 18 years.

Questions:
1) Are we (with DACA) allowed to go visit the detention center? Any risks?
2) What should I be preparing for? What are the chances he will be deported?

EDIT(S):
UPDATE 1/28: He is in a detention center in Miami. We are in the process of retaining a lawyer to set up a bond hearing. There are so many people are at center that they don’t have enough beds for everyone. Bond hearing can take weeks!

UPDATE 1/30: We retained a lawyer and have filed for a bond motion. Waiting on a bond hearing date.

UPDATE 2/7: Was granted a bail for $5K this morning. I completed the paperwork within the hour through a bail bondsman. They tried releasing him at 6pm but refused to return his DL, Debit card, cash etc. Apparently, the ICE agent did not leave my father's belongings to be returned and the detention center security guard was only doing as instructed. I called the lawyer and the lawyer told the detention center supervisor that it is a human rights violation to let a man out on the streets without HIS OWN belongings. Lawyer threatened to make a big fucking deal if his belongings were not returned and if he was not let go in the next couple hours. She said "If he spends an extra night in the jail after the bond was posted and bail approved, you better believe I will contact your supervisor and his supervisor". Finally sorted it out and let him go at 8pm.

Thank you all your thoughts and prayers. It meant a lot!!

Erik1421 01-26-2018 04:27 PM

Re: Father picked by ICE

1. Yes. If your EAD is current. You are allowed to visit and will not be detained. Show them your drivers license first. I have done this before in Texas.

2. Prepare to get a lawyer that can defend his case. Make sure to get a good lawyer. Do not go for those that advertise themselves, go for the ones with good word of mouth from other people.

This happened to my father back in like 2013 and he is still here with a work permit.

Marco956 01-26-2018 04:30 PM

That sucks, man. Hope this gets resolved soon!
Do really get a good lawyer is possible.

fl_dreamer 01-26-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik1421 (Post 682381)
1. Yes. If your EAD is current. You are allowed to visit and will not be detained. Show them your drivers license first. I have done this before in Texas.

2. Prepare to get a lawyer that can defend his case. Make sure to get a good lawyer. Do not go for those that advertise themselves, go for the ones with good word of mouth from other people.

This happened to my father back in like 2013 and he is still here with a work permit.

Thank you for that assurance. Yeah, the lawyer said it was easier during Obama time but Immigration judges are being conservative with Trump! I am trying to prepare myself and family for all possible outcomes.

fl_dreamer 01-26-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco956 (Post 682385)
That sucks, man. Hope this gets resolved soon!
Do really get a good lawyer is possible.

Thanks!

MIdreamer 01-26-2018 04:38 PM

Was he taking a bus or driving?

Dres2011 01-26-2018 04:44 PM

Was he driving to Naples or Miami?

2MoreYears 01-26-2018 04:44 PM

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that girl. I wish you and your dad the best of the best during these difficult times. Praying everything will be OK for both of you.

fl_dreamer 01-26-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MoreYears (Post 682408)
I'm sincerely sorry to hear that girl. I wish you and your dad the best of the best during these difficult times. Praying everything will be OK for both of you.

Thanks Friend! Appreciate the prayers. Can use more of it!

He was driving. Had a valid IL license (since you can't get a license in FL without status)

fl_dreamer 01-26-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dres2011 (Post 682406)
Was he driving to Naples or Miami?

He was driving. Not able to get the exact details of from where to where but it was highway US 41. I have traveled to Naples and Miami plenty times. Even drove there with international DL before DACA.

Talk about wrong place wrong time.