DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Telling your Public School. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11864)

Reid 06-23-2009 03:28 AM

Telling your Public School.

Hey guys, this is really a question for people who are in CO but if any of you want to contribute you are more than welcome.

I want to attend The School of Mines (engineering) but it is a public school, I was wondering if any of you have had to tell your public schools and what have they told you? I know I can get a loan somehow and such, the issue is if they are going to let me study.

I am waiting for DREAM regardless, just wanted to know if there are any of you out there who had positive experiences? Or bad ones...any info is welcome.

bonescones 06-23-2009 07:00 AM

Re: Telling your Public School.

i told my university about my status and they pointed me to the AB540.

stars 06-23-2009 12:36 PM

You need to tell them because they will be asking for a notarized afidavit that you have graduated from a high school and have not been issued a social security number. Also, they can help you with scholarships (depending on location) and in state tuition. If they place you down as an international student you are looking at english proficiency exams and unncessary paperwork.

Loki 06-23-2009 02:39 PM

According to Colorado HB 1023, they are going to require you to prove your legal status, if you fail to do so, you are not eligible for in-state tuition. So yeah, do what stars said. D:

Reid 06-23-2009 02:55 PM

I do have a social security though and it's legit, I am waiting for the dream act for now.

Also, I have another question, my dad started the legal process through his work, I'm not eligible anymore, but can I use that to my advantage somehow?

Smuggo 06-23-2009 03:34 PM

How in the world do you have a legit SSN if you are illegal?

Or are you talking about a TIN?

EDIT: Don't you think waiting for DREAM is rather risky? It's been killed 3 times in Congress, in one form or another. What makes you think it will live through this time?

Loki 06-23-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reid (Post 134493)
I do have a social security though and it's legit, I am waiting for the dream act for now.

Also, I have another question, my dad started the legal process through his work, I'm not eligible anymore, but can I use that to my advantage somehow?

Do you also have a valid state I.D. or driver's license? Wait, are you going to apply for financial aid?

Reid 06-23-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki (Post 134511)
Do you also have a valid state I.D. or driver's license? Wait, are you going to apply for financial aid?

No, and I am not applying.

I would have to pay out of state tuition if that happens, and that's fine, just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Viper1990 06-24-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smuggo (Post 134499)
How in the world do you have a legit SSN if you are illegal?

Or are you talking about a TIN?

EDIT: Don't you think waiting for DREAM is rather risky? It's been killed 3 times in Congress, in one form or another. What makes you think it will live through this time?

It was easy to get a ssn before 9/11.

gebodupa 06-25-2009 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper1990 (Post 134676)
It was easy to get a ssn before 9/11.

Just out of curiosity, an actual one or the one with "allowed to work only with the authorization of INS" or whatever it said?

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a state ID when I was a kid when I had a chance.