DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   If Rubio is Serious, He'll Introduce His DREAM bill (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=27663)

immigration truth 05-15-2012 03:06 PM

If Rubio is Serious, He'll Introduce His DREAM bill

I know this is from a blog, but the man is pretty informed of the entire immigration policy discourse and he has pretty interesting views, I'd like to know all of your thoughts on his article.

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/201...ream-bill.html

Marco Rubio hasn't presented a written version of his promising sounding DREAM Act, but he's already making excuses for it going nowhere. According to The Hill,

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said the White House is trying to sabotage his version of the DREAM Act by “ordering” activists not to work with him so that President Obama can maintain his hold on the Latino vote in the 2012 election.

“One of the things that already been documented is that the White House has been — the articles that have been written, two or three by now, the White House has been calling in DREAM Act advocates and asking them, almost ordering them, not to work with me on this issue,” Rubio said Thursday on the Laura Ingraham radio show. “They have been counting on using this issue as a wedge issue in October to drive up turnout.”

What I think is really happening is that Rubio would like to be able to portray Democrats as secretly not being interested in moving forward on the issue of finding a legal status for this sympathetic population and mainly being interested in cultivating Latino votes.

Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) wasn't going to sit back and fall in to that trap, however. He's challenging Reid to put up or shut up by actually releasing language for his bill. What I'm guessing would happen is that Reid would then actually force the bill's consideration (with or without Rubio's sponsorship). When Democrats overwhelmingly support it and Republicans largely vote no, it would be hugely embarrassing for the GOP who will be perceived as being against even Republican written pro-immigration bills.

That's why I'm pretty sure we're not going to ever see Rubio's language. I think Rubio was counting on Democrats opposing his measure. Now that this is not playing out according to script, I'm betting that we never see this bill. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope he's wrong too. Thoughts?

immigration truth 05-15-2012 03:11 PM

Re: If Rubio is Serious, He'll Introduce His DREAM bill

Do you guys really think Rubio is playing a political game and expecting this to tank? Or do you think behind the scenes he really is sincere and trying to coalesce a bipartisan alliance to trump forward this bill?

tyler129 05-15-2012 03:30 PM

Rubio is a smart guy. He knows that it won't pass the house.

Debating whether he is sincere or not is meaningless. Rubio is introducing this bill because he has something to gain from it. Apparently, it's republican's feeble attempt to get some Latino votes.

But if he was really smart, he would know that Romney would lose even with Latino votes. <-- which would be our loss because if Rubio knows this, he doesn't have any incentive to introduce his bill anymore.

Kevin1is7lucky 05-19-2012 05:00 AM

He was trying to coerce people into thinking his bill is going to be a Humanitarian issue and not amnesty. So it better come out for the sake of humanity. Our humanity haha I'm really tired of this back and forth nonsense it needs to come out so we can all unite for it or against it, and not argue about all of this political babble.

immigration truth 05-19-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin1is7lucky (Post 255967)
He was trying to coerce people into thinking his bill is going to be a Humanitarian issue and not amnesty. So it better come out for the sake of humanity. Our humanity haha I'm really tired of this back and forth nonsense it needs to come out so we can all unite for it or against it, and not argue about all of this political babble.

I agree, he just needs to introduce the bill. The fact that he's out introducing other laws which hurt us while babbling endlessly about this one looks far too hyper political. He needs to quit the games and introduce it. As Durbin has often noted, how could such a simple logical act be so politicized?