DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Paying for College (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=76555)

signoftimes 04-11-2017 04:37 PM

Paying for College

Hello! I am a Texas dreamer and as I was scrolling around I came across a thread from a few years ago about college loans but was hoping to get recent information. I know a lot of banks deny loans directed towards us, have any of you guys gotten a recent college loan (without co-signer). If so, which bank and can you provide info about the process?

- I have applied to many scholarships but many of them are very competitive. Is there any other clever ideas you guys have paid for college besides a job. (I currently have a job but does not cover even 1/2 of college expenses)

All help will be appreciated. :)

Jsonkim88 04-11-2017 05:37 PM

Re: Paying for College

Work 2 jobs. that's what I did.

IamAman 04-11-2017 06:03 PM

Don't get a loan. You're not one of those American kids who can get a $100k loan so they can party for 5 years and major in basketweaving only to complain about how much loans they have. Contrary to popular belief, you CAN work and go to school but you have to be smart about it and take as many classes as you're required by your 4 year university (not a single more) at a community college and transfer to cheap in-state university. Just take 3 or 4 classes at a time if you're an undergrad and say goodbye to your social life. If you want to have a social life and go to college, get reincarnated into a white family in the next life. Ironically, you might actually have a social life whether you plan on it or not but don't count on it if you want to graduate.

signoftimes 04-11-2017 06:49 PM

Honestly what the fuck with the rudeness??? Don't you think I know I'm not a white kid but you also lack knowledge about the reality of how expensive school is. I have worked my ass off to pay for school and I paid two years of community college making all A's and B's but since you also lack a sense of reality you forget we have parents we want to help out. What a bitter asshole. If only it was that easy.

Dreamer3ooo 04-11-2017 07:26 PM

I had to work full time in order to pay for school because I did not qualify for any loans. This was before DACA, and before the California DREAM Act was a thing. Because I had to work full time to even come close to affording school, it took me 8 years to graduate from a 4 year university. Whatever time I was not in class I was either working my job, or doing homework. If I was lucky I would get some sleep in between. I could not drive (no DACA so no Driver License), so if I was not working, in class, or doing homework, I was reading textbooks on the bus. Friends and a social life became foreign concepts to me, but in the end the sacrifice was worth it. I graduated with no debt, and work a nice job now thanks to DACA.

If you have DACA then you have a huge advantage that older DREAMers never had, in that you can apply for better jobs than we could back in the day (I worked a greasy food truck in DTLA to pay for school). Don't take everything so personally, I actually lol'd at the "reincarnate into a white family" joke. I doubt he meant it as an insult, you gotta learn to laugh at the situation sometimes.

signoftimes 04-11-2017 07:37 PM

Thank you for your help. I try to be understanding of what he exactly meant but he almost sounds like a parent scolding their child on a concept I don't think he is very familiar with since he is 41 years old. I worked 40 hours while I attended community college and to be quite honest I don't know how dreamers with 2 jobs do it. School is expensive so of course I will keep working, hopefully I am able to figure it out.

Malign0n 04-11-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by signoftimes (Post 611298)
Honestly what the fuck with the rudeness??? Don't you think I know I'm not a white kid but you also lack knowledge about the reality of how expensive school is. I have worked my ass off to pay for school and I paid two years of community college making all A's and B's but since you also lack a sense of reality you forget we have parents we want to help out. What a bitter asshole. If only it was that easy.

He wasn't trying to be rude. He was being frank. Use all the resources you have. If you get your parents to help, then you may only need to get a part time job. That's what I did.

signoftimes 04-11-2017 09:40 PM

Wanting to see if I can get a loan for college somehow now correlates with me being a spoiled white frat boy who only wants to do is party Yeah I thought it was a bit rude, I asked for help politely and for fellow dreamers to state how they have paid for college. Though I appreciate all the help, I don't need a negative sermon.

IamAman 04-11-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by signoftimes (Post 611298)

You're the one being rude here. You asked for free advice and you got it. You're welcome. FYI, I did it all this on my own while taking care family members so don't bitch to me about it. You're just an undergrad. Grad School is even more expensive. Listen to this guy.

Pianoswithoutfaith 04-11-2017 10:08 PM

To answer your question: No bank will give you a loan with out a co-signer.

It seems you don't want any other advice so I won't waste my time