DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Is it ok to keep working if DACA Expires? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83802)

Spock 08-16-2019 01:38 AM

Is it ok to keep working if DACA Expires?

So i seriously dont think my DACA is going to come by the 21st of August, fml right.

Well i'm not sure my employers are going to say anything, they already have me scheduled to work past the 21st.

But in light of all the trump BS going on would i later be picked out from approval of renewal in the future or perhaps some future law/benefit?

something like "have you ever worked with an expired work permit?" type of question or disqualification.

would i be better off telling my employer that im sorry my new daca hasnt arrived yet and i cant work anymore for it would be illegal? fml

and i just barely got that job too, figured i'd get my renewal by now. now i gotta walk in there like an idiot.

trac3rt 08-16-2019 09:17 AM

Re: Is it ok to keep working if DACA Expires?

I had this problem too in 2016. I had been in that job for a couple years now, so I had a good record with them. Personally, I was up-front and they said they (odviously) could not let me work past the expiration date, but they would hold my position for a while. I received my renewal a month and a half later and went back to work.

The big question is, what's better...Them finding out? Or, you being up-front and telling them about it?

tx_dreamer 08-16-2019 09:31 AM

I had same issue back in 2016 as well. I'm working for a big engineering company and HR told me that they have to place me as leave without pay until I get the work permit. If you know you'll be getting permit soon, I would just tell them and be on leave for a little.

IamAman 08-16-2019 12:27 PM

Now days with zero tolerance don't take any chance working without a valid work permit. Even if your current company doesn't keep track of the expiration date, something like this can come back to bite you.

It wasn't like that in the 80's and 90's when a lawyer would tell his client it was ok because the IRS and INS were different and didn't talk to each other. Hell, I even knew people with student visas and such working under their SSN only and paying taxes because "the IRS won't care if you send them money" and somehow it seemed like the lesser evil than working under the table.

Now days, however go by the book.

Demise 08-19-2019 10:17 AM

The same section that prohibits AOS due to being out of status is the same one that prevents AOS due to unlawful employment.

Like to put this into English: You aren't supposed to it, but by doing it you won't make yourself any worse off.

Pianoswithoutfaith 08-20-2019 05:25 PM

Also it’s the employers responsibility to check for valid EADS

Spock 08-21-2019 01:37 AM

At this point i seriously dont know what's worse; continue to limit my potential here in the US living like a 2nd class citizen with depression or going back to mexico and feeling relief and getting on with my life with nothing holding me back that is out of my control.

do i want to gamble 25 years of my life that i've already wasted waiting for citizenship?

thanks for the replies guys i'll keep the thread updated with what happens.

Pianoswithoutfaith 08-24-2019 07:18 PM

Do you think your situation is as bad slavery?

jorgeag92 08-25-2019 03:34 AM

Did you renew late? Just trying to get an idea of what the backlog is at uscis like

Spock 09-13-2019 01:04 AM

Just got renewed guys! jesus that was a huge gamble i'm glad it worked out. Send it in early AF guys, its not worth the gamble, who knows if i just got lucky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 740169)
Did you renew late? Just trying to get an idea of what the backlog is at uscis like

Yes a bit late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 740168)
Do you think your situation is as bad slavery?

nah no one is chasing after me with guns and dogs and trying to hang me, YET. that's not to say we have it rosy just maybe not as bad as african slaves.