DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Answer This Interview Question (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=55107)

nydreamer 06-04-2013 04:43 PM

Answer This Interview Question

Tell me about a specific time when you dealt with a difficult costumer and how you handled it.

I got stuck on this question on a phone interview with CitiBank. I never heard back from them but I just landed another interview with them.

I don't have much work experience, and I never really dealt with difficult costumers other than someone getting their order wrong or claiming they didnt get change back. Minor things like that.

What would be the perfect answer for such a question? I would appreciate it if you guys could share your own personal experience as it relates to the question, so that I can have something to go by. Thanks!

Dres2011 06-04-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Answer This Interview Question

HR are filled with vile creatures, though hopefully you can get a really good example or just searching for that question on google should bring up pretty good examples.

You don't have to tell the truth and don't take the "it's not my fault" route, remain calm,polite and helpful.

not_today 06-04-2013 06:03 PM

Customer retention is important for any company because that's where the money comes from. If you are still a noob and you don't know the extent of options that you have as a representative to make the customer happy, then you could lose the customer. Essentially try to empathize with the customer as a person, remain calm and respectful, and consult with a higher-up.

spartanwarrior 06-04-2013 07:22 PM

Even though they raised their voice you stayed on top of the situation and gave the customer options (approved by the company/manager) that could help satisfy him/her.
I think somewhere along those lines. If you type any question from interviews you'll find them online. Even from specific retailers. The internets nowadays...

YoGi 06-04-2013 08:12 PM

Tell me about a specific time when you dealt with a difficult costumer and how you handled it.

To be honest (insert interviewer name) I have never had an experience dealing with a difficult costumer before, however if I were in such a situation, I would first respond to the costumer in a calm and respectful manner in order to establish rapport, by asking his/her name, how I can help them, then work with them, to the best of my ability to resolve the situation quickly and effectively.

Recommended reading for personal growth:
Introducing NLP: Psychological Skills for Understanding and Influencing People (Neuro-Linguistic Programming)

rl2393 06-04-2013 08:21 PM

That's great that you landed and interview!! It's becoming very hard to get interviews these days. For me I have had a couple of interviews but no offer. It makes me really anxious because like many of us I need to find a job now. I also don't have much experience but I try my very best with what I know and learn. When I answered the " difficult" customer interview question, I said that I treat difficult customers the same way I treat easy customers, with an open mind, patience, and willingness to listen to their needs and provide a positive experience when they come. With all that said, May The Lord bless you and open doors so you may find a job that you will enjoy.

Dream becomes Reality 06-05-2013 02:55 AM

To everyone searching for jobs, please don't give up, keep looking. I sent out over 400 resumes and went to 7 different interviews at different companies before I was hired at my present job. Keep trying, answer the interview questions politely and dress professionally. Sometimes interviewers may not have one ''right'' answer in mind, your demeanor may be just as important as well. I know it's challenging but keep trying, all the best!

nydreamer 06-06-2013 12:02 AM

Thanks everyone!

TexanJose 06-06-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nydreamer (Post 484444)

I got stuck on this question on a phone interview with CitiBank. I never heard back from them but I just landed another interview with them.

I don't have much work experience, and I never really dealt with difficult costumers other than someone getting their order wrong or claiming they didnt get change back. Minor things like that.

What would be the perfect answer for such a question? I would appreciate it if you guys could share your own personal experience as it relates to the question, so that I can have something to go by. Thanks!

Also, put yourself on the other person's shoes. Imagine you were the customer and you wanted help with your issue...how do you think they could fix it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dres2011 (Post 484464)
HR are filled with vile creatures, though hopefully you can get a really good example or just searching for that question on google should bring up pretty good examples.

You don't have to tell the truth and don't take the "it's not my fault" route, remain calm,polite and helpful.

Hey, I'm not that vile haha

IamAman 06-06-2013 01:06 PM

I always have this one in my back pocket for just such an emergency:

One time we were detailing a stripper's car. The car was absolutely filthy and our carwash spent an extra half hour to make sure and really clean it good. The customer instead of being happy was irate because she claimed that she had weed in the ashtray and our carwash surely must have taken it. I told her to remain calm and that we would get to the bottom of this and let her know she was a valuable customer. Fortunately we resolved the situation to the customer's satisfaction after opening up the shop vac and finding the two roaches she had claimed were stolen.

That's how you do it.