DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Completed GC interview - DACA expiring soon (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83380)

PhilAmBoy 02-17-2019 09:27 PM

Completed GC interview - DACA expiring soon

So i'm adjusting status thru marriage with a USC, we just finished our GC interview, it all went well but after the interview... the immigration officer wasnt able to input my stuff in her computer cuz the "system is brand new to her" and she needs help with the new system... so instead of holding us up in her office, she lets us go. All she said after is "you guys are good, this is all my problem now". My lawyer asked for a timeline, but she didnt give any. So now my problem is... my DACA is expiring in 3 months... MAY. Lawyer said itll be a waste of $500 if I apply now. He said i can technically renew until end of april. But my concern is my drivers license expires at d same time my EAD expire. Obviously if i dont hear any news till april, and thats when i send my renewal, there will be definitely months of me not having a work permit/drivers license. Soooo I'm thinking of risking of losing $500. what do you guys think ?

kyungwc 02-17-2019 09:47 PM

Re: Completed GC interview - DACA expiring soon

What is $500? I bet your potential loss from not being able to work is worth much more than $500.

You are almost there! I'd go ahead and spend the $500.

Oh and congrats!

Malign0n 02-17-2019 09:57 PM

You didn’t send in an I-765 application for EAD with your adjustment of status?

Demise 02-17-2019 11:33 PM

If you need an EAD then send a renewal or initial application using I-485 as the basis of eligibility. Basically send in an I-765 with copy of I-485 receipt notice, for category put down (c)(9). Unlike DACA renewal this application is free.

kyungwc 02-18-2019 01:01 AM

So the question is, which would be faster? (And subsequently will he or won't he have a lapse in employment eligibility) his DACA employment authorization approval or through adjustment? I'd argue due to his timeline, DACA would be faster

DACA-IR-DA 02-18-2019 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilAmBoy (Post 733383)
So i'm adjusting status thru marriage with a USC, we just finished our GC interview, it all went well but after the interview... the immigration officer wasnt able to input my stuff in her computer cuz the "system is brand new to her" and she needs help with the new system... so instead of holding us up in her office, she lets us go. All she said after is "you guys are good, this is all my problem now". My lawyer asked for a timeline, but she didnt give any. So now my problem is... my DACA is expiring in 3 months... MAY. Lawyer said itll be a waste of $500 if I apply now. He said i can technically renew until end of april. But my concern is my drivers license expires at d same time my EAD expire. Obviously if i dont hear any news till april, and thats when i send my renewal, there will be definitely months of me not having a work permit/drivers license. Soooo I'm thinking of risking of losing $500. what do you guys think ?

Which FO? I think they all also have to go through their supervisor for the final decision. Your DACA EAD category is different then the one you qualified under AOS pending which is C9. Did you apply for I-765? Or AP (if you qualify) which is free with I-485. You should get a decision under 90 days but I think 120 is the maximum limit. You can always apply for DACA EAD renewal if a decision is not made soon.

$500 may seem like a lot but we are talking about your life event here. Driving and working is very important. You will get your $500 back in no time. Drive Uber as second job if you have to.

Demise 02-18-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyungwc (Post 733390)
So the question is, which would be faster? (And subsequently will he or won't he have a lapse in employment eligibility) his DACA employment authorization approval or through adjustment? I'd argue due to his timeline, DACA would be faster

I honestly think AOS EAD would be faster just because it is handled by the National Benefits Center, all they do is look at I-765, see that there's a I-485 pending and rubber-stamp it.

DACA-IR-DA 02-18-2019 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilAmBoy (Post 733383)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 733392)
I honestly think AOS EAD would be faster just because it is handled by the National Benefits Center, all they do is look at I-765, see that there's a I-485 pending and rubber-stamp it.

Mine took almost a year but I also got a very late RFIE holding up the I-765 app.

Future accountant 02-18-2019 08:11 AM

I agree with the lawyer. Your interview went well. Your gc will be in the mail soon.

PhilAmBoy 02-18-2019 12:38 PM

thank you all for the replies !!! but some good news... just checked my case status today and thank god it says: “New Card Is Being Produced On February 18, 2019, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number ——————- and will mail it to the address you gave us.” thats a good sign right ??? :)
my I-130 status hasnt changed tho it still says “Case was received at my local office” (been like that for 2 yrs).... but since my card is in production... i shouldnt worry anymore right???....
....i know $500 is just $500.. but it still is $500, my lawyer isnt really cheap, filing fees arent cheap also, and i just paid $900 overall for medical exam.... thanks all again for yall replies !