DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What to do to prepare so if the Dream Act passes this year? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11966)

makaveli 06-27-2009 11:36 PM

What to do to prepare so if the Dream Act passes this year?

Do we have to talk to an immigration lawyer if the DREAM ACT passes??? Should we be talking to one now to build up a case?
Please any help; Thanks.
From the way i see it i dont think us students would have to pay a fine. I plan on goin military; if that helps any?

Vinter 06-27-2009 11:41 PM

Re: What to do to prepare so if the Dream Act passes this year?

A lot of paper towel, and tissues (if I spelled it correctly).

LapsusBrutus 07-01-2009 02:08 AM

make sure you have all the documentation that is required to proof that you meet the criteria to be eligible for adjustment of status, and make sure you comply with selective service!

ThespianDreamer 07-01-2009 07:13 AM

I suggest you have your photocopies of everything that proves your existance in the US. If u came in the country by port and lost the records for example 1-94 you will have to apply for a copy from DHS which cost around $400. School records are very important. Not only the diplomas but registration papers to prove you were here before the cut off age. Those that entered the country illegally must have their paperwork in tact. I suggest school transcripts from elementry and immunization records.

Another thing, DHS also ask for a medical exam. I suggest you research what could possibly get in the way "health" wise. On the their websites they have list of recommended doctors. You should take the required physical after the bill is signed into law by the president. I "think" the test is good for 6-12 months. The cost for most phycials by those doctors depends. Having certain sexual transmitted can get you denied or mental illness.

Also start saving for the fees. Right now the fee to adjust status is $1010 or more. It might go up depending on the changes DHS will make in a few months but I do think we will have to pay a fine so start saving if needed. Meanwhile stay out of trouble with the law and drugs. Id any of you had run ins with the law for drug charges your screwed. 1 time you might get a pass but twice your phucked.....

I know all of this because my ex lover was an immigration lawyer.

gebodupa 07-01-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThespianDreamer (Post 135506)

Also start saving for the fees. Right now the fee to adjust status is $1010 or more. It might go up depending on the changes DHS will make in a few months but I do think we will have to pay a fine so start saving if needed. Meanwhile stay out of trouble with the law and drugs. Id any of you had run ins with the law for drug charges your screwed. 1 time you might get a pass but twice your phucked.....

Ironically, I already have like $1500 saved. It will either go towards the fees or towards a plane ticket home.

DamianLeon 07-01-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThespianDreamer (Post 135506)
I suggest you have your photocopies of everything that proves your existance in the US. If u came in the country by port and lost the records for example 1-94 you will have to apply for a copy from DHS which cost around $400. School records are very important. Not only the diplomas but registration papers to prove you were here before the cut off age. Those that entered the country illegally must have their paperwork in tact. I suggest school transcripts from elementry and immunization records.

Another thing, DHS also ask for a medical exam. I suggest you research what could possibly get in the way "health" wise. On the their websites they have list of recommended doctors. You should take the required physical after the bill is signed into law by the president. I "think" the test is good for 6-12 months. The cost for most phycials by those doctors depends. Having certain sexual transmitted can get you denied or mental illness.

What kind of medical exam do they ask for and why?
Also, what is the specific $1010 fee you are talking about?
Thanks

singsonglove 07-01-2009 08:57 PM

Hey, I don't have my original passport from when I entered the country at age 4(my mother has it back in korea), but I have renewed ones from when I was 19 years old. Does that count as evidence that I entered the country legally?

DA User 07-01-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makaveli (Post 135082)
Do we have to talk to an immigration lawyer if the DREAM ACT passes??? Should we be talking to one now to build up a case?
Please any help; Thanks.
From the way i see it i dont think us students would have to pay a fine. I plan on goin military; if that helps any?

I would highly recommend you get a well qualified Immigration Attorney for proper paperwork. You can do it yourself though.

DA User 07-01-2009 09:41 PM

If you go through a lawyer. There are attorney fees which I think is very well worth it.

Those that may have to pay a fine are the ones who do not qualify under the DREAM Act. Lets see what the CIR bill says.

ThespianDreamer 07-01-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamianLeon (Post 135572)
What kind of medical exam do they ask for and why?
Also, what is the specific $1010 fee you are talking about?
Thanks

I am not sure if it will apply for dreamies but as right now those that qualify for adjustment of status must pay a filing fee of $930 plus biometric fee of $80.

What I am trying to say is that everyone that wants to adjust their status that qualify must pay this fee. If any CIR passes whatever it may be...there will be fees for everything.

This is information on the medical exam. Please keep in mind that it might change depending on what law is passed.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693instr.pdf

Medical Grounds of Inadmissibility (Exclusion)

Written by Henry J. Chang

Communicable Diseases
Under INA §212(a)(1)(A)(i), an alien who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to have a communicable disease of public health significance, which shall include infection with the etiologic agent for acquired immune deficiency syndrome, is inadmissible. The Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 42 CFR §34.2(b) define the term"communicable disease of public health significance" as including: (a) chancroid; (b) gonorrhea; (c) granuloma inguinale; (d) human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection; (e) leprosy, infectious; (f) lymphogranuloma venereum; (g) syphilis, infectious stage; and (h) tuberculosis, active.

Under INA §212(g)(1), a waiver is available for this ground of exclusion if the alien is the spouse or unmarried son or daughter or the minor unmarried and lawfully adopted child of a United States citizen, an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence or an alien who has been issued an immigrant visa.

Proof of Vaccination Requirement [Applies to applications for immigrant visas or for adjustment

http://www.americanlaw.com/exclude2.html

Please research because we don't know what we qualify for as of yet. I do know for a fact the medical exam is needed no matter what.