DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I think I'm fucked (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16701)

MalditoDuende 09-18-2010 11:04 PM

I think I'm fucked

I came to this country when I was 8 years old back in 1998. From the beginning, I have always been an excellent student. I graduated high school with a 3.55 and got the advanced and honors diploma. Looking at the requirements for the dream act, I qualify for everything except the good moral character part. About a year ago I got arrested for possession of marijuana. The cop was gonna let me go with a ticket but my dumbass made him mad and he arrested me. This was the biggest mistake of my life because I got convicted and they sent me to counseling. Honestly I was lucky I didn't get charged with a DUI or gotten deported because the county jail in my city is the county jail/ICE office. Do you think immigration can forgive a first offense drug charge; is this even possible? I know a lot of people would back me up though: teachers, counselors, public defender, PO, even AA sponsor lol. My mom has been telling me that given my circumstances I should just give up and go back to Mexico. I, on the other hand, would like to stay here and fight for my dream. I truly love this country and I think of it as my own. What do you guys think?

melpw 09-18-2010 11:08 PM

Re: I think I'm fucked

yes totally. i know dreamers that have gotten arrest of distributing mj to an under cover cop and they are still eligeble for the dream act

Sonawabich 09-18-2010 11:10 PM

PO- post office is defending you?

MalditoDuende 09-18-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalditoDuende (Post 174145)
I came to this country when I was 8 years old back in 1998. From the beginning, I have always been an excellent student. I graduated high school with a 3.55 and got the advanced and honors diploma. Looking at the requirements for the dream act, I qualify for everything except the good moral character part. About a year ago I got arrested for possession of marijuana. The cop was gonna let me go with a ticket but my dumbass made him mad and he arrested me. This was the biggest mistake of my life because I got convicted and they sent me to counseling. Honestly I was lucky I didn't get charged with a DUI or gotten deported because the county jail in my city is the county jail/ICE office. Do you think immigration can forgive a first offense drug charge; is this even possible? I know a lot of people would back me up though: teachers, counselors, public defender, PO, even AA sponsor lol. My mom has been telling me that given my circumstances I should just give up and go back to Mexico. I, on the other hand, would like to stay here and fight for my dream. I truly love this country and I think of it as my own. What do you guys think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonawabich (Post 174148)
PO- post office is defending you?

PO= probation officer

01234 09-18-2010 11:15 PM

parole officer

Alex0591 09-18-2010 11:35 PM

unless its a felony then you shouldn't be worried so much about it

DogShekki 09-18-2010 11:55 PM

if u didnt go to jail or paid over $10K
than u r alright.

ivan81 09-19-2010 12:36 AM

One option, after DREAM passes of course might be showing extreme hardship for a relative that is a US citizen. Please totally disobey your mom, don't go back to Mexico. Stay out of trouble, and ask this question to an Immigration lawyer, and after that, go ask a different lawyer, just to get a second opinion.

IcanOnlyDream 09-19-2010 02:19 AM

Every time I read posts like this, the main question that comes to mind is: What the F#%& were you thinking?

I think you should not qualify and I won't feel any pity.

ivan81 09-19-2010 02:27 AM

^ :evil:!