DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   WE NEED OPRAH (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4762)

Tasksgirl 09-05-2007 09:05 PM

I know huh!

lilbawler2001 09-05-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J6
Just compare our struggle for freedom to that of African Americans and we'll be getting a show next week! :wink:

But you can't make that comparison really.

HOPEFULDREAMER 09-05-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbawler2001
Quote:

Originally Posted by J6
Just compare our struggle for freedom to that of African Americans and we'll be getting a show next week! :wink:

But you can't make that comparison really.

I would beg to differ. You could make the argument based on the fact that the horrible laws that were enforced against African-Americans prove that just because it is the law it is not infallible.

Of course, there is the difference that they were citizens but I think anyone that studies American History can say that MANY people didn't agree with that fact.

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:01 PM

I'm going to have to agree with lilbawler on this one. As difficult as our situation is, it is not as comprable to the Civil Rights movement as one might think. In addition to the intolerance of everyday people and blatant racism (which we are undoubtedly experiencing), theirs was a struggle filled with extreme violence (lynchings, bombings, assasinations). Thank God that our struggle has been devoid of the latter, save perhaps a few isolated incidents.

HOPEFULDREAMER 09-05-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock steady
I'm going to have to agree with lilbawler on this one. As difficult as our situation is, it is not as comprable to the Civil Rights movement as one might think. In addition to the intolerance of everyday people and blatant racism (which we are undoubtedly experiencing), theirs was a struggle filled with extreme violence (lynchings, bombings, assasinations). Thank God that our struggle has been devoid of the latter, save perhaps a few isolated incidents.

Oh, I completely agree with you on that part. As I mentioned, the reason why I believe that our situation compares to the African-American Civil Rights movement is due to the "the law is the law" sentiment among certain groups. The Civil Rights era showed us that, sometimes, the law is wrong and it is in need of change.

J6 09-05-2007 10:09 PM

^That's why I said "compare" and not "equate".

At least in terms of ideas our struggle is very similar. We are being unjustly treated on account of birth. We are being economically exploited on account of birth. We are being denied voting rights on account of birth. The fact is that we're treated as second rate human beings when that is clearly not the case.

The only struggle of this sort that is dissimilar to ours is that for Gay rights. All other struggles in American history are more or less the same, the only difference is that neither women nor blacks feared deportation or had ICE commandos raiding their homes.

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:14 PM

Certainly. The laws back then were very unjust, as they are now.

I simply cannot stomach the "law is the law" argument. We could argue that it would reasonable to assume that everyone, including citizens, has broken a law at one point in their lives. And of course, law, whether statutory or common, is not always cut and dry. It is always open for interpretation (As I am finding out each day in class. If any of you decide to go to law school, make sure you know what you are getting into, lol!)

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:20 PM

Getting back to Oprah though, it would be sad if she passed up our story in favor of some run-of-the-mill makeover show or some awful segment with another loony celeb.

OptimistinDenial 09-05-2007 10:21 PM

Question?

Did anyone tried to contact Oprah's producers? I know she has the final word but producers in talk shows are the money people. They look for stories that are going to bring viewers, thus, ratings, thus moneys. If someone sees the little window that appears and says "talk to producers" take it.

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:22 PM

In my letter I stressed that the DREAM Act is sponsored by Senator Obama, Oprah's crush. She will jump on anything with Obama's name on it.