DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   WE NEED OPRAH (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4762)

Jp1 08-09-2007 06:34 PM

WE NEED OPRAH

We need to start emailing her and have her come up w/ a show about our situation and regarding the DREAM ACT. If we get Oprah we get the majority. We need to go to her website and start emailing her. She can help us.

peticsu 08-09-2007 06:53 PM

whoevers collecting those stories needs to send them all to her

Tasksgirl 08-09-2007 10:54 PM

They are I already told them.
And I'm going to try and work on her too.. I really want her as well

ucgirl 08-10-2007 12:47 AM

Seriously I was watch her everyday and I think she would definitely support us. Hey taskgirl if you need any help organizing these stories email me at [email protected]. I really want to help!

hrvatica13 08-10-2007 01:23 AM

I'm going to send Oprah the stories even if I don't reach the goal of 15 to send to the senators. However, I've been on her site and can't seem to find the address to mail her the letter and stories... does anyone know what it is? I guess I could email it, but it would be extremely long and I don't know if they do attachments.

jfanii 08-10-2007 03:44 AM

I just got this funny idea of her giving out tens of thousand dollars in scholarships to us. Man, that would get Alipac all rifled up.

jfanii 08-10-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrvatica13
I'm going to send Oprah the stories even if I don't reach the goal of 15 to send to the senators. However, I've been on her site and can't seem to find the address to mail her the letter and stories... does anyone know what it is? I guess I could email it, but it would be extremely long and I don't know if they do attachments.

http://www.oprah.com/email/reach/ema...ch_fromu.jhtml

maybe this helps. I doubt they take attachments but it's a start.

smarr88 08-10-2007 03:39 PM

uh, ok count me in! if there's anything i can do...just email me [email protected] ...

mgonza02 08-10-2007 06:14 PM

WE NEED OPRAH

I actually e-mailed Oprah with an idea for a show today. I told her my story and asked her to consider doing a show on the DREAM ACT. I got an e-mail back saying the I was not guaranteed a response do to the overwhelming amount of e-mails she gets every day. At least I tried, right. Maybe if we all e-mail her we'll catch the attention of who ever reads her e-mails. It's worth a try.

P.S. hrvatica13 I sent you my story please let me know if you got it.

mexican_papi 08-10-2007 07:07 PM

I think Opera might consider us, like you'll say but, we will ne to make the Subject as " Dream Act" or something like dat, so she or her secretary or anyone who is in charged of cheking her emai-l's knows that we need her help :D

brizaysol 08-10-2007 08:07 PM

Re: WE NEED OPRAH

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgonza02
I actually e-mailed Oprah with an idea for a show today. I told her my story and asked her to consider doing a show on the DREAM ACT. I got an e-mail back saying the I was not guaranteed a response do to the overwhelming amount of e-mails she gets every day. At least I tried, right. Maybe if we all e-mail her we'll catch the attention of who ever reads her e-mails. It's worth a try.

P.S. hrvatica13 I sent you my story please let me know if you got it.

i actually think that putting lots of emails through that all say DREAM ACT- (name's) story
would work....

lutier2008 08-11-2007 10:21 AM

I emailed Oprah, as well.

Tasksgirl 08-11-2007 02:26 PM

YESSSSSS
Thanks guys
Everyone use a uniform subject title
DREAM ACT - "___" story

They might ignore the first few but eventually their curiosity will get the best of them!
Email each story one at a time
And use an introduction a few lines explaining why we need her help.

AND EMAIL YOUR STORY OVER AND OVER AGAIN EVERY DAY!!

CIR_DREAM2009 08-11-2007 06:22 PM

Someone needs to contact Juan Gomez and ask if he wants to get on Oprah. He seems to be the face of the Dream Act right now, and he has a very compelling story fit for a TV audience. They don't want any old sob story, they want one that is uplifting and inspirational to the audience as well as tragedy.

rock steady 08-11-2007 06:24 PM

I've already contacted Juan, and he said they are currently waiting for a reply from Oprah.

Tasksgirl 08-12-2007 12:06 PM

What??? I ASKED THEM THAT AND THEY NEVER ANSWERED ME
I told them let's team up and I'd like to go on as well

rock steady 08-12-2007 05:56 PM

I messaged Juan directly.

Tasksgirl 08-12-2007 06:31 PM

I messaged Scott directly.. and the moderator on COSA has attempted to contact him by phone several times

Oh well.. :?

rock steady 08-13-2007 04:35 PM

Everyone, please send Oprah a short message urging her to do a show on the DREAM Act. I've sent one in myself and you should all do so as well. Here is the link:

https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templa...lugId=B2100004

alex1234 08-13-2007 05:10 PM

done, keep sending messages!!!!

Latina~Hispana 08-13-2007 05:12 PM

done

HOPEFULDREAMER 08-13-2007 06:09 PM

Done.

rock steady 08-16-2007 03:15 PM

Everyone on the forum:

Please take a few minutes out of your day to contact Oprah via email. In addition, please stress the fact that DREAM is co-sponsored by Barack Obama, who Oprah is vigorously supporting.

Tasksgirl 08-16-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock steady
Everyone on the forum:

Please take a few minutes out of your day to contact Oprah via email. In addition, please stress the fact that DREAM is co-sponsored by Barack Obama, who Oprah is vigorously supporting.

lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry I just think it's funny you have to mention someone like that to get on Oprah's show.. I love her but she needs to diversify..

rock steady 08-16-2007 03:32 PM

Oh, I know! Oprah is absolutely in love with Barack!

Jp1 08-16-2007 09:15 PM

yay

I wrote her a pretty long email. I hope she replies back. Keep on writing her you guys.
!

juanybear17 08-17-2007 11:04 AM

My friends and I have been emailing Oprah but she hasn't responded. Our goal is to use the momentum my story has garnered in order to get on the show. Hopefully, she gets back to us.

MathBruin 09-05-2007 05:52 PM

done

redranger88 09-05-2007 07:44 PM

I think whoever reads mine is going to start to choke up. Done.

J6 09-05-2007 08:54 PM

Just compare our struggle for freedom to that of African Americans and we'll be getting a show next week! :wink:

Tasksgirl 09-05-2007 09:05 PM

I know huh!

lilbawler2001 09-05-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J6
Just compare our struggle for freedom to that of African Americans and we'll be getting a show next week! :wink:

But you can't make that comparison really.

HOPEFULDREAMER 09-05-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbawler2001
Quote:

Originally Posted by J6

But you can't make that comparison really.

I would beg to differ. You could make the argument based on the fact that the horrible laws that were enforced against African-Americans prove that just because it is the law it is not infallible.

Of course, there is the difference that they were citizens but I think anyone that studies American History can say that MANY people didn't agree with that fact.

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:01 PM

I'm going to have to agree with lilbawler on this one. As difficult as our situation is, it is not as comprable to the Civil Rights movement as one might think. In addition to the intolerance of everyday people and blatant racism (which we are undoubtedly experiencing), theirs was a struggle filled with extreme violence (lynchings, bombings, assasinations). Thank God that our struggle has been devoid of the latter, save perhaps a few isolated incidents.

HOPEFULDREAMER 09-05-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock steady
I'm going to have to agree with lilbawler on this one. As difficult as our situation is, it is not as comprable to the Civil Rights movement as one might think. In addition to the intolerance of everyday people and blatant racism (which we are undoubtedly experiencing), theirs was a struggle filled with extreme violence (lynchings, bombings, assasinations). Thank God that our struggle has been devoid of the latter, save perhaps a few isolated incidents.

Oh, I completely agree with you on that part. As I mentioned, the reason why I believe that our situation compares to the African-American Civil Rights movement is due to the "the law is the law" sentiment among certain groups. The Civil Rights era showed us that, sometimes, the law is wrong and it is in need of change.

J6 09-05-2007 10:09 PM

^That's why I said "compare" and not "equate".

At least in terms of ideas our struggle is very similar. We are being unjustly treated on account of birth. We are being economically exploited on account of birth. We are being denied voting rights on account of birth. The fact is that we're treated as second rate human beings when that is clearly not the case.

The only struggle of this sort that is dissimilar to ours is that for Gay rights. All other struggles in American history are more or less the same, the only difference is that neither women nor blacks feared deportation or had ICE commandos raiding their homes.

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:14 PM

Certainly. The laws back then were very unjust, as they are now.

I simply cannot stomach the "law is the law" argument. We could argue that it would reasonable to assume that everyone, including citizens, has broken a law at one point in their lives. And of course, law, whether statutory or common, is not always cut and dry. It is always open for interpretation (As I am finding out each day in class. If any of you decide to go to law school, make sure you know what you are getting into, lol!)

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:20 PM

Getting back to Oprah though, it would be sad if she passed up our story in favor of some run-of-the-mill makeover show or some awful segment with another loony celeb.

OptimistinDenial 09-05-2007 10:21 PM

Question?

Did anyone tried to contact Oprah's producers? I know she has the final word but producers in talk shows are the money people. They look for stories that are going to bring viewers, thus, ratings, thus moneys. If someone sees the little window that appears and says "talk to producers" take it.

rock steady 09-05-2007 10:22 PM

In my letter I stressed that the DREAM Act is sponsored by Senator Obama, Oprah's crush. She will jump on anything with Obama's name on it.