DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Anyone in NY tristate area looking for a software engineer? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=72875)

Demise 12-29-2015 04:49 PM

Anyone in NY tristate area looking for a software engineer?

Long story short - I graduated in May and had 0 luck finding work in my field (Software Development, but I've been also looking at IT and Databases). Applied to probably at least 200 places by now, generally got no responses or "Sorry but we decided to go with other candidates", had a few interviews but you know how it is - bullshit screening, blatant lying (position listed as Jersey City, NJ suddenly turns into AZ and then they don't call back once you say alright to the relocation), and there's always that one guy who did just a tiny better than you and got the job.

I tried "networking", but obviously don't have anything to network upon. The two people that I know who work in the field are mid level employees and their companies simply aren't looking for anyone out of college.

So, anyone able to help? I just want to work, move out, marry my gf, get my permanent residency, and close this chapter of my life already.

amoney3 12-30-2015 12:28 AM

Re: Anyone in NY tristate area looking for a software engineer?

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time, Demise. What's our specialty in software engineering? I do the same thing.

I would recommend attending events in the startup scene of NYC. I worked for a couple of startups while I was there, and it was a great experience. Check out generalassembly (https://generalassemb.ly/education?format=events) and https://nytm.org/.

If you're willing to relocate to the West Coast, PM me and we can chat :).

Demise 12-30-2015 02:34 AM

Java and C++, but I'm willing to learn other things. Provided I'm being at least considered for a position utilizing it. I came this close to being a C# software engineer and actually started learning it, until they said no where I put it on pause., though I know the basics and could write stuff in C# with help from reading the documentation. My problem isn't really that I don't know stuff, it's more that the experience catch-22...

Thanks for the links but they seem much more focused on the front end (HTML, JS, Django, etc.) rather than the stuff that I am actually comfortable with (Standalone applications and Back End). Though I'll definitely give their open house a shot and see what happens (the Android/iOS section seems promising). If you have any other recommendations I'll be glad to hear them.

I am open to relocation, but I don't have the funds to do it on my own currently.

amoney3 12-30-2015 02:57 PM

Most tech companies cover relocation completely. They even pay to fly you out for the interview and put you in a hotel :).

I would say start brushing up on some of your skills and work on an independent project. For ex: build an android app or an emulator - any app/tool is fine, just start something and it will snowball. Start with a flashlight app or package tracking app, etc.

If you feel you're ready for an interview, PM me, and I can look what's available at my company. Full transparency - I may get a kickback for "recruiting" you. But I would help either way :)

Demise 12-30-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoney3 (Post 563755)
Most tech companies cover relocation completely. They even pay to fly you out for the interview and put you in a hotel :).

I would say start brushing up on some of your skills and work on an independent project. For ex: build an android app or an emulator - any app/tool is fine, just start something and it will snowball. Start with a flashlight app or package tracking app, etc.

If you feel you're ready for an interview, PM me, and I can look what's available at my company. Full transparency - I may get a kickback for "recruiting" you. But I would help either way :)

What kind of software does your company focus on?

2Face 01-03-2016 05:04 PM

There is one state job I am looking at right now (State of CT). It does say 6 years experience required but can substitute a bachelors degree for 4 years. Honestly I just think it's all about your application and how you present yourself and your skills. If you're interested please let me know. I can also guide you through the app process. Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck Demise brah.

edison 01-04-2016 12:26 AM

I'm a Software Engineer in CT. Your first job is always the hardest. Maybe you you just need some tips and tweaks on your resume. i can definitely help you with that, just PM me.

conscientiatesla87 01-04-2016 03:55 AM

Demise,

I was in the same situation as you back in may 2012 when I graduated with a masters in mechanical engineering . I had zero internships due to being illegally in the country. What I did have was " volunteer experience" in simulation /CAD. These are the following things I did that got me at least 5 interviews and untimely ended up getting an engineering job. I got daca in December 2012 and got three offers by December 2013. One in Honda as technician, two in the oil and gas as field engineer and another in R&D.

1. Create a binder with school projects. I would walk in to Career fairs/ interviews with this binder and my 3d printed parts I did in school. By doing doing this it gave me something to talk about and something to SHOWCASE.
2. Create a free website like webs.com and post all your relevant school projects and put the link on your resume. If they call you for an interview managers will see it. GM saw my website when I interviewed.
3. Go and build a linkedin profile put a photo as well.
4. Go to your university and do mock up interviews. After being illegally for so long my confidence was extremely low. The person at the career services picked that up quickly. So be confident. This was my major problem, as soon I corrected my behavior interviews went a lot smoother.
5. Don't just apply close to where you live. All states all cities are fair game.
6. Apply through recruiters. Aerotek , others.
7. Indeed, linkedin, and career builder all good websites. Career builder has sometimes postings about career fairs.
8. Make sure you are employed right now in something somewhat similar to the job you want to get. Managers like to see that your are employed. Also it gives you the ability to talk about something in the interview ,for example, team skills, customer service, and solutions provided to customers.
9. Your resume needs the correct keywords and correct length.

Hope this helps.

2MoreYears 01-04-2016 11:45 AM

Craigslist worked wonderfully for me. Linux Engineering..