DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Applying as an internation student even though I can't get a visa? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13006)

ihtbf9345 10-26-2009 04:32 PM

Applying as an internation student even though I can't get a visa?

So I'm in the process of applying to colleges and because of my status I don't know what to put when the application asks for my visa and what type of visa I'll have...

So I called the office of admissions and I was transferred to the International Office of Admissions... and she told me that I need to say on the application that I have a F1 visa and that I will have a F1 visa while I'm at that school even though I really don't have one and am not eligible for one...

So I was wondering.. to those of you who are currently attending college.. when you were applying did you put that you had a F1 visa? or did you leave it blank?

edit:
I just realized that there is a similar topic to this one on the same page.. but I think my question is slightly different so hopefully this is okay.

Also, has anyone ever heard any stories about undocumented students being reported by colleges after they send in their application or even after they talk to the colleges on the phone? I'm kind of scared about that...

rosemary90 10-27-2009 10:14 AM

Re: Applying as an internation student even though I can't get a visa?

You shouldn't be worried about school reporting you.
I never had a problem with it.
Where do you live?
When I applied for my application, I just put that I'm not a citizen or PR and that I don't have a valid visa.
Just call the school again and tell them about your status, if they can't help you, try going to your high school counselor.

ihtbf9345 10-27-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosemary90 (Post 144955)
You shouldn't be worried about school reporting you.
I never had a problem with it.
Where do you live?
When I applied for my application, I just put that I'm not a citizen or PR and that I don't have a valid visa.
Just call the school again and tell them about your status, if they can't help you, try going to your high school counselor.

well thats what i want to put on my application.. but for one of the schools that im applying to.. i have to put something in the visa category in order to get through the application.. and there is no choice for "no visa".. so i dont know what to do...

Zens 10-27-2009 09:50 PM

Same here.

I put Deferred Departure today in my application for the University of Florida.

I'll probably e-mail them and say that I made an error or I had nothing else to put. I came across a college (UCF) that has a "None" option for visa type. That's me! :-D

ihtbf9345 10-28-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zens (Post 145013)
Same here.

I put Deferred Departure today in my application for the University of Florida.

I'll probably e-mail them and say that I made an error or I had nothing else to put. I came across a college (UCF) that has a "None" option for visa type. That's me! :-D

what does deferred departure mean?

plOp 10-29-2009 01:56 AM

They usually dont put that on the application, I remember when I went to a Community College I had to talk to the admissions office to tell them I dont have a ssn, and they just gave me a number to register with. Try asking your admission office.

ihtbf9345 10-30-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plOp (Post 145113)
They usually dont put that on the application, I remember when I went to a Community College I had to talk to the admissions office to tell them I dont have a ssn, and they just gave me a number to register with. Try asking your admission office.

well the problem I'm having is one particular college, where i HAVE to put an answer for the visa questions in order to submit the application, and there is no option for "no visa"...