DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Newhouse Statement on Immigration Reform (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=82141)

jaylove16 06-13-2018 04:20 AM

Newhouse Statement on Immigration Reform

U.S. Rep. Dan Newhouse (R-WA) released the following statement regarding continuing legislative negotiations on behalf of beneficiaries of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program:

“I spoke with Speaker Ryan today, who assured me that our Conference will vote, as early as next week, on an immigration bill that will give certainty to DACA beneficiaries and secure our border,” said Rep. Newhouse. “Given this significant progress, I will not sign the discharge petition today. The DACA beneficiaries with whom I have spoken in Central Washington are not asking for a symbolic vote on measures that have no chance at becoming law. For me, reaching a long-term solution is vital for DACA beneficiaries. These DACA beneficiaries have asked me for certainty, and I strongly believe this may be the best legislative vehicle that can receive *215 House votes, 60 votes in the Senate, and the President’s signature into law.

“I also commend the Speaker and the Majority Leader for committing to me personally to bring forward a separate immigration bill that addresses agriculture’s labor needs before the August district work period. Agriculture is a labor-intensive industry and there remains a shortage of domestic labor. Our farmers and ranchers must have access to a legal and reliable workforce in order to provide the world with a safe and abundant supply of food.

“The discharge petition has succeeded in pushing this vital matter for so many young people to the forefront. I also remind my colleagues, that while today’s deadline for a vote on June 25th has passed, the discharge still has time to gain signatures for a vote on July 23rd. I will continue to keep my options open on what is the best course of action. In the meantime, I support ongoing efforts to find a solution that can become law.”

https://newhouse.house.gov/media-cen...gration-reform

We all know the shittlatte bill isn’t even going to pass among republicans. Let’s see what bill Newhouse thinks can pass the house and senate.

libertarian1776 06-13-2018 04:26 AM

Re: Newhouse Statement on Immigration Reform

well atleast its just a simple majority needed for it to pass in the house, not the full 218 for a discharge petition...

just need 215 to pass any bill in the House due to 7 vacancies.

EMejia 06-13-2018 06:06 AM

What’s so bad about the Goodlatte bill again?

BeansDreamtoo21 06-13-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMejia (Post 708564)
What’s so bad about the Goodlatte bill again?

It is full of poison pills.

If you fall under the poverty line? Criminalized and deported.

Full time student? I dont think so. You dont qualify.

Taking care of someone? A parent? You cant qualify.

Those are the ones on top of my head, i might be wrong or a little off but its pretty much filled with that kind of stuff.

2MoreYears 06-13-2018 08:31 AM

Why people say the latte bill has no chance of passing when brought to the floor for a vote next week? Isn't that precisely what the discharge petition would do ? Bring it to the floor for a vote. Whats the difference ?

jaylove16 06-13-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MoreYears (Post 708569)
Why people say the latte bill has no chance of passing when brought to the floor for a vote next week? Isn't that precisely what the discharge petition would do ? Bring it to the floor for a vote. Whats the difference ?

Moderates and Dems won’t vote for it .

JJ Glo 06-13-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MoreYears (Post 708569)

The difference being that there would be 3 other bills being voted on aswell..........

dtrt09 06-13-2018 09:27 AM

Reps. Newhouse, Reichert, McMorris, and Beutler-Herrera could have offered their votes well in advance.

As a Washington resident, Sen Cantwell and Pramila Jayapal are the only two members that proactively and continuously support immigrants.
Whatever bill they are writing should cover all Dreamers. And yes, I say it for me and many others.
WA constituents support this, my patients support it, and our employers do, too.

It's the least they can do considering all the damage and taxpayer waste they want included.

john_smith 06-13-2018 10:00 AM

Yes too many poison pills while the benefit is bare mininum

jwxie518 06-13-2018 10:02 AM

215.....then senate then trump.