DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Kelly won't deport dreamers----for now (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=76380)

undoconyc 03-18-2017 08:26 PM

Kelly won't deport dreamers----for now

From The Hill

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly got an earful on Friday from House Democrats outraged over President Trump’s aggressive approach to immigration enforcement.

Kelly met with the Democrats in the Capitol, where the lawmakers — particularly members of the Congressional Hispanic and Asian Pacific caucuses — sounded off against Trump’s crackdown on undocumented immigrants and his executive orders barring refugees and travelers from six Muslim-majority countries.

Democrats questioned Kelly's handling of his department, particularly his ability to keep immigration enforcement agents in check. They were left unconvinced by his responses.

Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.) called Kelly's approach "naive," saying law enforcement agencies such as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) lacked the military discipline Kelly had grown accustomed to in the Marine Corps.

Democratic Caucus Chairman Joseph Crowley (D-N.Y.) doubled down on the fish-out-of-water criticism of Kelly, saying the secretary had at times "been dismissive" of lawmakers at the meeting "as though they were plebes or cadets."

"This is not bootcamp. These are not newly inducted members of the Marine Corps. These are experienced lawmakers who understand the law, who understand the complexities of the law and also understand the job that the secretary has to carry out the law," said Crowley.

Lawmakers also criticized Kelly for failing to provide specific policy answers when challenged.

"Secretary Kelly's answers were less than satisfactory. They were not very deep — they were sort of topline, general platitudes," said Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.), vice chair of the Democratic Caucus.

Kelly, for his part, said he’s simply upholding the law, according to a source in the room. But he also emphasized that he opposes many parts of the law, pleading with the Democrats to change it.

“If you don't like the laws we are enforcing, and I don't like many of them, please, please, please change the law,” he said, according to the source.

Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-N.M.), head of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, led the charge for the Democrats, accusing the administration of disregarding due process protections and instilling fear in immigrant communities, according to the source.

Lujan Grisham said some progress was made at the meeting, citing Kelly's openness to equip ICE agents with body cameras, as proposed in a bill introduced by Rep. Yvette Clark (D-N.Y.) last week.

But Kelly said the agency did not have the money to move forward with the body cameras, an idea Democrats scoffed at.

"He mentioned that they just don't have the budget. We pushed back on that a bit," Lujan Grisham said.

She’s been up in arms since last month, when several Hispanic Democrats were barred from a briefing by officials at the Department of Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) branch.

Kelly did not back down, according to the source, saying he’s taken a “different philosophical” tack than his predecessor, Jeh Johnson, when it comes to border security.

When Rep. Judy Chu (D-Calif.), Congress’s first Chinese-American lawmaker, raised concerns that racial bias has been a factor underlying deportations, Kelly rebuffed the suggestion.

"I reject just about everything you said about my people acting [with] prejudices and biases,” he said, according to the source.

"In every issue, there has been legal issues that they did what they did. But it's not because their religion or the color of their skin or their politics. … I don't report anyone, ICE doesn't deport anyone, the laws and the judges of the United States does. ... The Department of Homeland Security does not deport anyone."

Rep. Juan Vargas (D-Calif.) took a different tone, saying Kelly's demeanor left him hopeful.

"That same pushback that everyone got and didn't like, I think he does that same pushback to the administration when it comes to DACA kids and others. Even though he was general-like in his demeanor and his attitude, that can be a very positive thing," said Vargas.

The Democrats are concerned that the administration’s new deportation approach leaves those benefitting from former President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program newly vulnerable to deportations.

They're especially worried that the information DACA applicants voluntarily provided to enroll in the program — it includes an admission of being in the country illegally — could be used against them.

Kelly told lawmakers DACA information was not being used that way at the moment, but attendants to the meeting said he did not rule out the information could be used in the future.

Rep. Nannette Barragan (D-Calif.) said she believed Kelly had "left the door open" to using DACA application information for immigration enforcement purposes.

"For him to go out of his way to say, ‘We believe we could use that information but we're not,' " said Barragan.

But Kelly suggested the “dreamers” are still protected — as long as he’s in charge.

”I’m the best thing that happened to DACA,” he said, according to the source. “It is still on the books."
- Updated at 3:25 p.m.

godsavethequeen 03-18-2017 09:10 PM

Re: Kelly won't deport dreamers----for now

libertarian1776 03-18-2017 09:28 PM

on nov 9th you thought DACA will end on Jan 20th. i guess we can just keep kicking the negative can down the road, even if there is relief or legalization you'd still be negative.

welp, i guess its time to pack 0ur bags and self deport now. = (

Quote:

Originally Posted by godsavethequeen (Post 609744)
Anyone that honestly believes DACA will survive under the Trump administration is delusional. We might be safe for now.......

Smooth 03-18-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godsavethequeen (Post 609744)
Anyone that honestly believes DACA will survive under the Trump administration is delusional. We might be safe for now.......

Some of you are so negative to the point that it is annoying. This was said many times in January. It's March now. We still have DACA, and we are hearing all this positive news. But, you insist on being negative; you just cannot stomach any relief efforts from the Republican party. But hey, you are entitled to continue living in your delusional realm and believing we will all be screwed soon.

DanielPL 03-18-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertarian1776 (Post 609747)
on nov 9th you thought DACA will end on Jan 20th. i guess we can just keep kicking the negative can down the road, even if there is relief or legalization you'd still be negative.

welp, i guess its time to pack 0ur bags and self deport now. = (

I will never self deport this country I like it here DACA remains and I believe that RACA will pass.

libertarian1776 03-18-2017 10:06 PM

how the hell can one be so miserable living their life that way.. i hope it doesnt affect their work or school performance. very sad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth (Post 609748)
Some of you are so negative to the point that it is annoying. This was said many times in January. It's March now. We still have DACA, and we are hearing all this positive news. But, you insist on being negative; you just cannot stomach any relief efforts from the Republican party. But hey, you are entitled to continue living in your delusional realm and believing we will all be screwed soon.

libertarian1776 03-18-2017 10:09 PM

u cool dude, u turned it around from being negative person. i was just being sarcastic to the half glass empty people here about self-deporting.

and u aint getting deported bro, u a white dreamer... they gonna legalize u first tbh. lmao

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielPL (Post 609750)
I will never self deport this country I like it here DACA remains and I believe that RACA will pass.

jaylove16 03-18-2017 11:06 PM

This has already been posted. Also, nice try on the negative heading.

DACA-IR-DA 03-19-2017 12:44 AM

Does this protect would be qualified 2014 Executive Action eDACA?

Lambo Mercy 03-19-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DACA-IR-DA (Post 609755)
Does this protect would be qualified 2014 Executive Action eDACA?

Absolutely