DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What to answer when Job recruiter ask your status? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35034)

LittleBrand 11-26-2012 11:52 AM

What to answer when Job recruiter ask your status?

So I started to find job after receiving EAD and SSN.
And a recruiter contacted me right away. (I have a BS in engineering)
She asked my status and I answered EAD, and she asked what kind of EAD is that.

What should I say? I understand employer/interviewer wouldn't ask much about your status as long as you are authorized to work, but I am dealing with a agent that help me and recommend me to interviews/jobs.

Any opinions/thoughts?

UPDATE: more than one agent contacted me and asked what is my EAD for? (OPT, etc)

Demise 11-26-2012 12:46 PM

Re: What to answer when Job recruiter ask your status?

Tell them it's unrestricted (meaning you can work with any employer). If they ask for category code just tell them its C33. If they ask what legal status do you hold in US tell them you were granted deferred action and work authorization for two years (which will likely be extended later).

Happyman0607 11-26-2012 12:49 PM

Tell them Obama is your homeboy and he got your back ;D

LittleBrand 11-26-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Tell them it's unrestricted (meaning you can work with any employer). If they ask for category code just tell them its C33. If they ask what legal status do you hold in US tell them you were granted deferred action and work authorization for two years (which will likely be extended later).
This sound like a standard answer that I will follow in the future.
But just feel kind of sad and weird that I have to disclose my illegal status, you know, deferred action is not considered a legal residential status. And often job recruiter doesn't know what deferred action is and will ask even more questions, like what was your previous status, etc. Then eventually I will have to tell them I am illegal when I came to US, which always resulting in losing the recruiter's interests for you.

Pianoswithoutfaith 11-26-2012 01:09 PM

No is restricted. Cannot work in federal jobs.only private companies.

Engineering what? I have a bs in Chemical engineering and Electric.

Demise 11-26-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 380771)
No is restricted. Cannot work in federal jobs.only private companies.

Engineering what? I have a bs in Chemical engineering and Electric.

Well you do require a security clearance or at least citizenship for those jobs, anyways there's two primary types of EAD - Single employer (opt, green card via work pending), and unrestricted that lets you work for any company that wants to hire you.

LittleBrand 11-26-2012 03:53 PM

Btw, one firm asked for the photo copy of my EAD, is it safe to send them?

Cloudless 11-26-2012 04:20 PM

EAD for international students (F-1 visa) on OPT is restricted to their degree, so they can't work in sales if they have an engineering degree. The OPT program runs out after 12 months, or 29 months is you have a STEM degree. Yours is unrestricted, you can basically work in any private company even if the job has nothing to do with your diploma. DACA EAD is renewable every 2 years indefinitely, or at least until the President cancels the program.

Recruiters are curious because they need to know if your clock is gonna run out after 12 or 29 months, at which time the employer is gonna need to pay for the expensive H-1B visa sponsorship and the associated lawyer fees.

Just tell them that your EAD is unrestricted and it's renewable indefinitely every 2 years, as far as you know.

Pianoswithoutfaith 11-26-2012 04:35 PM

And DACA EAD is new so they probably are not sure about it. They might consider us because of how new and fresh this program is. They might be hesitant since the president can at any moment terminated the program and who knows what the next president will do. Its good that you studied engeering as your options are more. If for x reason nothing happens here you should look into moving to Canada.

LittleBrand 11-26-2012 05:18 PM

I know this is a perfectly valid working permit. I am worrying we might been discriminated and treated differently if the employer/recruiter noticed our DACA status.