DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone here a political science or scoiology major? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12671)

ihtbf9345 09-18-2009 09:01 PM

Anyone here a political science or scoiology major?

i'm looking at college majors right now and i honestly do not know what i want to major in...

i was reading the description of majors at collegeboard.com and i found the social sciences to be pretty interesting.. political science and sociology to be specific.

however, i do not know anything about politics. i know nothing about politics and i don't really keep up with the news so i don't know anything relating to government.

so based on that info.. do you think it would be really difficult for me if i majored in political science? is it too late for me to become involved and educated in this area (im a senior in high school btw)? is it so competitive that a person like me wouldn't make it?

i also have an interest in sociology... is anyone majoring in sociology?

help is appreciated.. thank you!

buckminsterfullerene 09-18-2009 11:24 PM

Re: Anyone here a political science or scoiology major?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihtbf9345 (Post 141982)
i'm looking at college majors right now and i honestly do not know what i want to major in...

i was reading the description of majors at collegeboard.com and i found the social sciences to be pretty interesting.. political science and sociology to be specific.

however, i do not know anything about politics. i know nothing about politics and i don't really keep up with the news so i don't know anything relating to government.

so based on that info.. do you think it would be really difficult for me if i majored in political science? is it too late for me to become involved and educated in this area (im a senior in high school btw)? is it so competitive that a person like me wouldn't make it?

i also have an interest in sociology... is anyone majoring in sociology?

help is appreciated.. thank you!

I mean I know my high school did not really offer anything in the area of sociology or even poli sci, I do however know people in my school that have changed from the major they specified earlier to poli sci and even sociology.

I have not taken any political science classes, but I have taken some sociology classes and I thought it was very interesting. I think those are subjects people tend to just discover in college, just because sociology is not something many people might see in their high school education.

In any case, about the first two years of college are essentially the same for most majors, so you would have some time to sort of test the waters before you plunged into that major. But it helps tremendously to know some basic things about the area you want to major before you head there.

My short response: I don't think its too late.

Fish 09-19-2009 12:10 AM

I'm a political science minor and I'll tell you that you have to read a lot of concepts and history. If you're interested in it, you'll do fine. There's no need for prior knowledge in politics to get through it. The only difficult part of this may be if you don't like the discipline and can't stand reading about it.

Wondering1983 09-19-2009 02:17 PM

I'm a Political Science major and I've taken one Sociology class which I really liked (I even considered a double major with both).

You do not need to declare a major right away, just apply as Undecided and explore. Since the first 2 years of college, esp. Liberal Arts colleges, are basic, Core courses, you should use that as an opportunity to take the introductory classes and see if you love them, as well as introductory courses in other majors.
(A lot of students declare majors early and during the course of their college years, they still end up switching majors - colleges know this so don't feel like you have to declare a major on the application. I didn't.)

There are different areas of Political Science (i.e. American Politics, Political Theory, Comparative Politics, and International Politics), so you should also explore those areas to see which one you'd like, as well as the many paths you can take - Law School, Grad School/Ph.D., etc.
American Political Science Association

It's never to late to start reading up about it and you should really start keeping up with current events. Most importantly, it is a writing-intensive/researching major and you should consider taking some History courses (that's how I was introduced to AP Poli Sci in H.S. and it helps as a backdrop).