DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I was wondering...can we get the church involved? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13499)

dreamy14 01-08-2010 01:57 AM

I was wondering...can we get the church involved?

I know catholics are pro-immigration and they have voiced out their opinions about this. Most of us dreamies here are catholics right (I know Mexicans and Filipinos would be at least)? You think there's a way to organize something with the church, or is it too risky?

Feenmi 01-08-2010 02:12 AM

Re: I was wondering...can we get the church involved?

The church is already involved.

US bishops announce massive postcard campaign for immigration reform

U.S. Catholic leaders want President Obama to make immigration reform a priority

those are just a couple of the ones I've read in the past few days. But they are involved already.

IvanR017 01-08-2010 03:15 AM

The priest at my church mentions immigration issues in almost everyone of his homily's. The church is definitely trying to help.

luvsherry 01-09-2010 12:45 AM

the church cares and they do help. i know around my neighborhood, they help families by bringing them food,clothes,and they also always give the kids who are in school backpacks,notebook,pencils etc. let me tell you some of them are frauds if they ask you tons of money in order to get you a green card. don't listen to them.

dreamy14 01-10-2010 04:41 PM

Wow...lots of support from the church I see. I remember once when our priest mentioned about immigration issues in his homily. It almost brought me to tears =)

melpw 01-24-2010 07:07 AM

the catholic church like most other churches have blood in their hands, I would say thanks but no thanks to their help.

Feenmi 01-24-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melpw (Post 149519)
the catholic church like most other churches have blood in their hands, I would say thanks but no thanks to their help.

Are you going to turn down the American Government when they offer you a chance to get your legal documents too?

Nick 01-25-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melpw (Post 149519)

Religious communities are often the source of talented activists and committed organizers. I'm not religious and am well aware of the history, but to overlook the important role that religion and religious leaders play in social change is naive. I've yet to hear a success story that did not involve local religious leaders in one way or another.

The church is a perfect place to organize and to turn to in your community, especially if you don't know where to start.

melpw 02-18-2010 01:18 AM

bahahahaaha are you serious? to both of you, to the first person, educate yourself to make intelligent comment .to the second person stop stating personal opinion like fact , it is a very disingenuous thing to do .