DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The GOP House Leader favors change to allow high-skilled immigrant stay in US (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20775)

victor85 03-21-2011 11:06 PM

The GOP House Leader favors change to allow high-skilled immigrant stay in US

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/15...-economic-plan

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) on Monday unveiled what he is calling a "pro-growth" economic plan.

The plan, presented at Stanford University’s conservative leaning Hoover Institute by the second-ranked Republican in the GOP-controlled House, centered on cutting business tax rates, reducing trade barriers, removing federal regulations and allowing more high-skilled worker visas.

"To be strong, to lead, to grow, and to empower people – here’s what
we need to do,” Cantor told the audience of students a faculty.

“We’ve got to shift from having a government that smothers new jobs and business growth to one that nurtures an environment for getting people back to work and back to what Americans do best: innovate, compete and lead," Cantor said.

The Majority Leader shared his fear that the "gut sense of entrepreneuerialism is missing from the policy-making debate in Washington, both in the Congress and in the White House."

For the past few months, House Republicans have been consumed with cutting federal spending. Last week however, GOP leaders held a jobs forum in Washington D.C. before leaving town for the weeklong district work period.

Cantor, who introduced the phrase "Cut and Grow" as the House GOP's position on turning around the high unemployment rate and reducing the size of government, elaborated Monday on the "grow" portion of that equation.

Cantor outlined several policy prescriptions to accomplish the goal of spurring private business creation and innovation.

He proposed reducing the corporate tax rate "to at least 25% - equal to our competitors."

Recognizing that moving such an ambitious reduction with Democrats in control of the Senate and the White House would be difficult, Cantor suggested allowing "U.S. multinational companies to bring back almost $1.2 trillion in overseas profits at a lower tax so they can invest in our economy here at home."

He also focused on limiting what he called the explosion in federal regulations that have come into effect since President Obama was inaugurated two years ago.

Since taking control of the House in January, House Republicans have held numerous hearings on reducing federal regulations that they say act as a disincentive to private companies.

Cantor revealed that the House would soon vote on a "bill that requires Congressional approval for any regulation with significant economic impact."

The Majority Leader seemed to favor a change in current immigration
laws to allow more high-skilled workers the opportunity to work in the
U.S.

Noting Congress's authority to "regulate entry into this country," Cantor suggested reforming the system, if doing so "helps us keep thousands of jobs here in America."

He argued that 2011 would be critical in the future of business growth in America.

"Fifty years from now, people will look at 2011 as the year we began our comeback or the year that we continued our fallback," Cantor said.

chlehqls 03-22-2011 04:56 PM

Re: The GOP House Leader favors change to allow high-skilled immigrant stay in US

See, even Repubs know that deporting high quality students/workers is a terrible idea. They at least have the sense to address the issue.

Hopefully good things can come out of this.

Immigrant 03-22-2011 05:03 PM

Re: The GOP House Leader favors change to allow high-skilled immigrant stay in US

Quote:

Originally Posted by chlehqls (Post 213100)
See, even Repubs know that deporting high quality students/workers is a terrible idea. They at least have the sense to address the issue.

Hopefully good things can come out of this.

Well, they are talking about people with advanced degrees in Math, Engineering, and Science. Most Dreamers don't count, I think.

chlehqls 03-22-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immigrant (Post 213101)
Well, they are talking about people with advanced degrees in Math, Engineering, and Science. Most Dreamers don't count, I think.

Well, I meant that it's a step in the right direction. In the logical sense. :/

VicTheWick 03-24-2011 12:34 AM

Agree that high skilled workers are needed all around the world. One thing I have to add though is that there are lots of skilled and educated people who would want to move into USA from their countries. I think Cantor meant skilled people who received US degree. I'm sure we have some Dreamers who have degrees and hopefully will be able to benefit from that law somehow. GOP say a lot of bull crap. I'm just curious what King, freaking Nazi, or that NumbersUSA crazy will say about that.

DA User 03-24-2011 01:37 AM

There are Dreamers who have Master's degree in that field.