DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What is instate tuition? I have no faith (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32309)

Ltdjuice 09-30-2012 09:36 PM

What is instate tuition? I have no faith

Im an illegal mexican thinking about the future

i graduate from highscool in 2014 and then will atend a city college since it is cheaper.

Im looking at the price of tuition for a UC, UCSB and the total I came up with was 17,000 for instate. There was more with rent and all that stuff but my parents would cover rent and what not im talking about the actual cost about the UC tuition.

My main question was, WOuld the price of 17,000 for a year of tuition still stay if I am an illegal? I have been living here all my life since age 3. My parents have money in mexico and would be able to pay the 17,000 for an year up front. We are not rich but we would be able to pay of the tuition upfront.

Can I even go to a UC? as an illegal.

Kalnit 09-30-2012 09:57 PM

Re: What is instate tuition? I have no faith

You can go to UC. But if you are just getting out of high school, my advice is not to go to a university and attend a community college if you truly care about your future, regardless of whether or not you are a citizen of US. Coming out with a 4.0GPA from a CC is better by miles compared to a 3.x from a university. This is advantageous for any Masters or Doctoral degree program enrollment.

Currently you are not considered instate. All illegals and legally illegals (DACA approved) must pay tuition as much as that of international students. All the more reason to attend a community college. But make sure your community college has the classes required for your transfer to the prospective degree from 4-year university that you have in mind.

As for enrollment as an illegal student, find the international student department head and discuss the matter with him. Same goes for all universities and colleges. The more "foreign" the international student advisor, the better the chance.

Since I am from a community college before I went into the current doctoral program, I may be biased. There are advantages to being in a University. Parties, nightlife, sex, whatnot. Disadvantage is of course, 100+ students in a class.

EDIT: Oh yeah, California has its own Dream Act. So you can have your instate tuition and financial aid.

Tortoise77 09-30-2012 10:55 PM

Well, have you applied to DACA? If yes and if it is approved then you will have a s.s number. On the appliciation just put your new s.s# and check NO on the " will you apply for financial aid question" and you should be fine. Also, like the PP said, dont waste your money on a four year college's first two years when you can pay way less than half on community college. I know CC is looked down at becuase its " for people are did bad in H.S and blah blah" but it isnt. Its the same as all colleges. I made the mistake to make my parents struggle pay my first year when I could have gone to community college for much cheaper (2,000) compared to 10,000 at my university. Please please save your parents money!! Dont waste it on a year when you can get the same education in a community college. Once your done with community college transfer out to the university of your choice. When i applied to college I left the s.s# slot blanked and it was pretty much an dont ask dont tell situation. I was charged instate since i had graduated from a NEw Jersey H.S and that made me instate student.

Jui908 09-30-2012 11:00 PM

Yes you qualify for instate tuition thanks to AB140. Look it up. My advice is go to a community college and transfer later, saves you tons of money. I am almost done with my BA (2 semester left) at CSULB and I only owe $3K which is just this semester. Also in CA you qualify for financial aid through FAFSA.

Djdieg007 10-01-2012 07:33 PM

You are young. I wish all this was happening when I was your age. Take advantage of DACA! Get a decent job, at a bank or as an administrative assitant at a company of your interest. Gain expirience on a professional enviroment. Make connections, dress proper and set goals!!! GOOD LUCK

NotAPro 10-01-2012 07:42 PM

This sounds like ALIPAC.

1 Post, talking 'I am an Illegal'..... Seriously.