DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Lindsey graham tweet (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83202)

Red neck 01-16-2019 10:31 PM

Lindsey graham tweet

If Senate passes bipartisan bill that includes border security funding for wall/barrier and legal status for DACA and TPS recipients, would @SpeakerPelosi allow the bill to be taken up in the House?

If the answer is no, then it is the Pelosi Shutdown.

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/...169553408?s=21

Sorry this is just a tweet and not news but it may seem like they are changing strategy and try to pass a bill in the senate

DogJuiceMan 01-16-2019 10:34 PM

Re: Lindsey graham tweet

Graham moving up the sidelines, no defenders in the way, getting dangerous for dems. Will he shoot the ball? Where are his teammates?

Demise 01-16-2019 10:44 PM

Good luck getting 60 votes in the senate.

jwxie518 01-16-2019 10:49 PM

So he's now looking at USA Act!

Dem do it! Take the deal! Give Trump 5.7B!

DACA-IR-DA 01-16-2019 10:54 PM

USA act covers aged out Dreamers. I like it.

2Face 01-16-2019 10:58 PM

How do y'all know he's looking at USA Act? And I sincerely hope that this is an indication of something CONCRETE and not just a hypothetical question by Lindsay to score political points. At this point, shit is looking very bad for the federal workers.

jwxie518 01-16-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 728097)
How do y'all know he's looking at USA Act? And I sincerely hope that this is an indication of something CONCRETE and not just a hypothetical question by Lindsay to score political points. At this point, shit is looking very bad for the federal workers.

Don't care about federal workers.

USA Act alike is a good compromise!

davidrellis 01-16-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red neck (Post 728091)
If Senate passes bipartisan bill that includes border security funding for wall/barrier and legal status for DACA and TPS recipients, would @SpeakerPelosi allow the bill to be taken up in the House?

If the answer is no, then it is the Pelosi Shutdown.

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/...169553408?s=21

Sorry this is just a tweet and not news but it may seem like they are changing strategy and try to pass a bill in the senate

Lindsay might be full of shit on other issues but I guess he genuinely cares about this issue. Bless his heart.

DogJuiceMan 01-16-2019 11:06 PM

53 republicans in senate, need 7 dems assuming all reps say yes.

tays123 01-16-2019 11:14 PM

There is no indication on whether he is talking about the BRIDGE Act, the SUCCEED Act, the USA Act or the DREAM Act. I believe he is still referring to the BRIDGE Act. It would be a bad deal for the Democrats to cave for the BRIDGE Act at this point. I actually do not think they will cave for any protection for us or the TPS. Because then they would get blamed regardless. I have a feeling that this is going to end some other way.

Red neck 01-16-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogJuiceMan (Post 728100)

He talks to Durbin a lot so I’m assuming that if he can pass it through the senate he will be able to pass it in the house

Dreamer1980 01-16-2019 11:19 PM

It would be helpful if he clarified which Dreamer protection he is talking about, details are important. USA Act is a great deal!! Pass it!

Red neck 01-16-2019 11:22 PM

You guys need to go on Twitter and like comments that say do it then or make a comment.
Looks like he is using tweetdeck to track engagement

https://tweetdeck.twitter.com

Red neck 01-16-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer1980 (Post 728105)
It would be helpful if he clarified which Dreamer protection he is talking about, details are important. USA Act is a great deal!! Pass it!

Comment on his Twitter

davidrellis 01-16-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red neck (Post 728106)
You guys need to go on Twitter and like comments that say do it then or make a comment.
Looks like he is using tweetdeck to track engagement

https://tweetdeck.twitter.com

Say the senate and the house pass something, do you think Drumpf will sign it? I just don't want to get my hopes up because the president is being such a baby these past few weeks.

jwxie518 01-16-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrellis (Post 728109)
Say the senate and the house pass something, do you think Drumpf will sign it? I just don't want to get my hopes up because the president is being such a baby these past few weeks.

Override his veto.

Malign0n 01-16-2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

That’s not a given. Miller might tell him not to sign it. That f*ck

Red neck 01-16-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

If it makes it to his desk and it has border wall funding he will sign it

thesaintseiya 01-16-2019 11:39 PM

this is a good sign, the reps and trump have to bring it up

isk84life 01-16-2019 11:40 PM

Tweet at him! USA act!

leo86 01-16-2019 11:44 PM

This is Lindsey mimicking Trump.
A sad attempt at being a troll.

Pass something thru the Senate first and then talk about it.

jwxie518 01-16-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo86 (Post 728115)
This is Lindsey mimicking Trump.
A sad attempt at being a troll.

Pass something thru the Senate first and then talk about it.

Dude Mitch won’t bring shit up

BestBefore1984 01-16-2019 11:48 PM

looking good

the reps and trump have to bring it up

vft1008 01-17-2019 12:05 AM

I would say this has some significance given he was throwing in the towel and calling for Trump to use emergency powers not too long ago.

2MoreYears 01-17-2019 12:44 AM

Nope. No way you can spin it. #TrumpShutdown

IamAman 01-17-2019 12:45 AM

These little tweets are the equivalent of an 1980's middle schooler passing a "do you like me? [Yes] [No]" note in class to a crush. If Graham is serious, he should have the real proposal.

DD4S 01-17-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogJuiceMan (Post 728100)

Where are you getting this number from?
Are you just asuming they will all say yes?

BestBefore1984 01-17-2019 12:54 AM

What if this is a ploy to get Democrats to cave? For instance, If they decide to vote for it and it passes both chambers and then trump decides “psyche” it’s too lenient, we need the 4 pillars nonsense and now he can flip it back at dems and say they won’t agree to open the govt for Americans without helping illegals - we’ve seen this story before. Trump has zero credibility

Malign0n 01-17-2019 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD4S (Post 728122)

Literally assuming they all vote yes.

TexasDreamy 01-17-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD4S (Post 728122)

Literally 99% of the recent Senate votes have been along party lines. Occasionally they would let a single senator vote "no" to save face in their district and then bring in the vice presidential tie breaker vote.

Don't you remember how huge the Obamacare vote was when Collin, Murkowski, and McCain voted no?

But anyway, if 7 democrats cross over for a total of 60 votes -- that's enough to defeat a presidential veto. That's why the Senate uses 60 as a threshold to pass any bills.

tays123 01-17-2019 01:09 AM

override of a veto - The process by which each chamber of Congress votes on a bill vetoed by the President. To pass a bill over the president's objections requires a two-thirds vote in each Chamber. Historically, Congress has overridden fewer than ten percent of all presidential vetoes.

So, you need 67 in the Senate and 291 in the House... Good luck!

always_learner11 01-17-2019 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasDreamy (Post 728125)
Literally 99% of the recent Senate votes have been along party lines. Occasionally they would let a single senator vote "no" to save face in their district and then bring in the vice presidential tie breaker vote.

Don't you remember how huge the Obamacare vote was when Collin, Murkowski, and McCain voted no?

But anyway, if 7 democrats cross over for a total of 60 votes -- that's enough to defeat a presidential veto. That's why the Senate uses 60 as a threshold to pass any bills.

60 to clear filibuster, 67 to clear veto

McConnell won't put a floor on the bill that POTUS will veto, so the 67 is not an issue. But you're right, voting has been on party lines, and there's no way you get 7 democrats.

The bill to open the government would likely pass with almost unanimous consent. Good luck with getting most everyone to unanimously agree on a bill even.

Graham doesn't even know his position., and he has very little sway over POTUS.

1) Graham says, DACA for Wall
2) Graham says, use emergency powers
3) Graham says, reopen the government for 14 days
4) Back to square one

Malign0n 01-17-2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasDreamy (Post 728125)

Not sure it’ll be a party line vote on this one. If the “gang of 20” comes with a compromise, it may be 30-45 GOP and 30-40 Dems (anwhere between a 60-85 total vote).

Also, it takes 2/3 of each chamber to override a veto. Which means 67 votes in the Senate and 290 in the House

tays123 01-17-2019 01:13 AM

Damn... Everybody is an expert... Well, what do you expect? We have been on this for like the last 18 years!

always_learner11 01-17-2019 01:15 AM

Neither party is budging.

There might have to be some sort of outside event that breaks the stalemate (e.g. 'sudden' massive caravan appears, Mueller releases report, or SCOTUS decides to (not) take the case).

TexasDreamy 01-17-2019 01:17 AM

Ooph. It is 2/3rds.

Schooled!

Afridi786 01-17-2019 01:34 AM

If only Trump actually listened to Lindsey.

eva02 01-17-2019 01:44 AM

The democrats strategy is to open up the government and leave the dhs funding bill to be discussed after the give is open. That way trump can’t blame a “dem shutdown for illegals”

This is why neither party is budging, but this is hurting trump the most

justjohnjustice1988 01-17-2019 02:29 AM

Well the Dem House wont support a "wall".

Maybe border security and repairing current fencing but not a continuous monolithic wall structure.

I dont think Trump will give in. So most likely the Senate will vote to open the government after 2 months OR Trumpo accepts the Gang bill ( whatever bill that might be) and the Dem House will probably support it, dividing both Gop and Dem groups.

Honestly I just want this to end. So tired of the zero progress lol

I hope Mueller finds Trump guilty of an impeachable crime.

The orange orangutan gotta go

Outsider626 01-17-2019 02:49 AM

Supreme Court should make a decision whether to take Daca or not on Friday.