DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Travel from US Mainland to Puerto Rico (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=67249)

SoCaldreamer88 06-21-2014 09:15 PM

Re: Travel from US Mainland to Puerto Rico

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 532064)
I came back last week from Puerto Rico. No contact with Customs.

What part of the island did you stay at? Any recommendations?

Malign0n 06-21-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCaldreamer88 (Post 532739)
What part of the island did you stay at? Any recommendations?

I stayed in Ceiba at the Ceiba Country Inn (would recommend!). The island is very practical to drive around by vehicle and public transport is limited to major cities so a vehicle is recommended. We mainly stayed on the eastern portion of the island (San Juan, Fajardo) and traveled to the islands of Culebra and Vieques.

The island is beautiful and you get the real impression that you're in a foreign country. The distances are measured in kilometers, the gasoline in liters, and the drinking age at 18. Knowledge of the Spanish language is not a requirement as the residents are bilingual, but to me I felt compelled to speak Spanish as to not let people know I was a "tourist". I enjoyed my time at the island, I would recommend it!

SoCaldreamer88 06-22-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 532750)
I stayed in Ceiba at the Ceiba Country Inn (would recommend!). The island is very practical to drive around by vehicle and public transport is limited to major cities so a vehicle is recommended. We mainly stayed on the eastern portion of the island (San Juan, Fajardo) and traveled to the islands of Culebra and Vieques.

The island is beautiful and you get the real impression that you're in a foreign country. The distances are measured in kilometers, the gasoline in liters, and the drinking age at 18. Knowledge of the Spanish language is not a requirement as the residents are bilingual, but to me I felt compelled to speak Spanish as to not let people know I was a "tourist". I enjoyed my time at the island, I would recommend it!

Gracias!! I'm planning to go in March 2015.

redqueen2012 06-23-2014 11:01 PM

I just had returned two days ago after traveling to PR with my NYS driver license only. I did bring other official documents susch as my native country issued passport and my work authorization, but nobody asked for any other forms of proof other than my driver license. My three friends and I stayed at the Marriott hotel located on the Ashford Ave in San Juan. It was a beautiful street embedded with a lot of high end hotels. The street was safe to go around even after sunset and there were many good restaurants around the hotel that we practically could enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner within a walking distance without ever leaving the Ave. Public transportation only cost 75 cents, but it seemed like only one bus operates in an hour, so the wait did seem like forever in over 90 F. weather. Cabs were much more frequent, but the drivers definitely tried to make good fortune out of senseless tourists as the cost for same distance travel varied greatly from $10 to $28.

It was my first time traveling to PR (or to any other country other than my native), but I certainly had the most wonderful time of my life. I am planning on returning to PR sometime in October, and began to search booking a package (in fact the day after I returned to NY, lol)

SoCaldreamer88 06-25-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redqueen2012 (Post 532899)
I just had returned two days ago after traveling to PR with my NYS driver license only. I did bring other official documents susch as my native country issued passport and my work authorization, but nobody asked for any other forms of proof other than my driver license. My three friends and I stayed at the Marriott hotel located on the Ashford Ave in San Juan. It was a beautiful street embedded with a lot of high end hotels. The street was safe to go around even after sunset and there were many good restaurants around the hotel that we practically could enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner within a walking distance without ever leaving the Ave. Public transportation only cost 75 cents, but it seemed like only one bus operates in an hour, so the wait did seem like forever in over 90 F. weather. Cabs were much more frequent, but the drivers definitely tried to make good fortune out of senseless tourists as the cost for same distance travel varied greatly from $10 to $28.

It was my first time traveling to PR (or to any other country other than my native), but I certainly had the most wonderful time of my life. I am planning on returning to PR sometime in October, and began to search booking a package (in fact the day after I returned to NY, lol)

Lol... Thank you for sharing your experience! =) Did you get to visit Isla de Culebra or Isla de Vieques ?

SRafaela 06-26-2014 04:58 PM

Has anyone traveled to Hawaii?

redqueen2012 06-26-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRafaela (Post 533253)

My younger sister traveled to Honolulu for a wedding last year, and she did not have any trouble either getting in or out from that island.

SoCaldreamer88 06-27-2014 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRafaela (Post 533253)

Hawaii is a State therefore all you need is your ID/DL. I went to Maui last year. Now what I really want to know is if anyone has traveled to the U.S. Virgin Islands. I've searched the forum but I could not find anyone who actually traveled there.

g33k 06-27-2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 532750)

Lol they can tell you are a tourist by the accent.

txgirl 06-27-2014 01:51 AM

Whomever is going to PR soon please bring me a bottle (or two) of some coquito!!!! and go to bio bay and skip el yunque its really not all that (im not much of a hiker any way)