DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trump announces deal to end shutdown and temporarily reopen government (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83283)

Erik1421 01-25-2019 03:37 PM

Trump announces deal to end shutdown and temporarily reopen government

President Donald Trump and congressional leaders have reached a deal to reopen the government for three weeks and end the longest U.S. funding lapse ever, the president announced Friday.

In remarks at the White House, Trump said he hopes to sign the measure to restart government operations through Feb. 15 as soon as Friday. He expects Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to bring it to the Senate floor “immediately.”

The deal marks a concession for Trump, who previously pledged not to sign spending legislation without $5.7 billion for his proposed border wall. Trump’s demand and Democrats’ refusal to fund the barrier led to the partial closure now in its 35th day. Trump said that, as part of the deal, the parties would set up a conference committee to put together a Department of Homeland Security appropriations bill.

“This is an opportunity for all parties to work together for the benefit of our whole, beautiful, wonderful nation,” he said in the White House Rose Garden.

Of course, lawmakers may still fail to reach an immigration deal that appeases Trump. In his remarks, he claimed no border security plan will work “without a physical barrier.” He contended that “walls should not be controversial.”

The announcement comes as damage from the shutdown widens. On Friday, about 800,000 federal workers started to miss their second paychecks since funding lapsed on Dec. 22. A shortage of air traffic controllers — who have had to work without pay during the shutdown — delayed flights at several major airports.

The remarks came after senators from both parties pushed Trump to temporarily fund the government while they try to strike a wider immigration deal. After two bills to reopen the government failed in the Senate on Thursday, serious talks to find an end to the impasse restarted for the first time in weeks. Trump asked for a “down payment” for the barrier in exchange for funding the government.

Trump has repeatedly insisted on securing $5.7 billion to build his proposed border wall before he agrees to reopen the government. Democrats have refused his request.

The president has threatened to declare a national emergency to construct the wall without congressional approval. On Friday, he said he has a “very powerful alternative, but I didn’t want us to use it at this time. Hopefully it will be unnecessary.”

The Trump-backed plan that failed in the Senate would have funded the wall in exchange for limited legal protections for young immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children and people fleeing crises in certain countries. Democrats called the concessions for “Dreamers” inadequate. It is not clear whether lawmakers would try to address those issues if they reopen the government.

Surveys indicate most Americans see the closure as a “crisis” or at least a “problem.” They largely put blame for the shutdown on Trump’s shoulders. As Americans seek an end to the impasse, more of them believe the president should yield rather than think congressional Democrats should, according to a CBS News poll.

vft1008 01-25-2019 03:39 PM

Re: Trump announces deal to end shutdown and temporarily reopen government

I feel like at this point we are not going to get anything. Dems will hold the line and not offer the wall, forcing him to use emergency powers. Then, it will be challenged and held up in court almost indefinitely. There goes that.

georgeb1214 01-25-2019 03:40 PM

What’s next for us? Will they include daca protection in the bill they will negotiate?

tays123 01-25-2019 03:43 PM

At this point, it should be the DREAM ACT that also includes the aged out Dreamers for 5.6 billion for the wall/barrier/fence and etc.

versailles 01-25-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tays123 (Post 730628)
At this point, it should be the DREAM ACT that also includes the aged out Dreamers for 5.6 billion for the wall/barrier/fence and etc.

i disagree. at this point it should be a CLEAN DREAM ACT. nothing more.

jwxie518 01-25-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vft1008 (Post 730624)
I feel like at this point we are not going to get anything. Dems will hold the line and not offer the wall, forcing him to use emergency powers. Then, it will be challenged and held up in court almost indefinitely. There goes that.

Exactly my thought...

Hallowpoint1911 01-25-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vft1008 (Post 730624)

Is this new to you? I think just about everyone here has come to terms with it. We are a political pawn, only used when needed.

tays123 01-25-2019 03:46 PM

What is your definition of CLEAN ? No border wall money? Then you are crazy!
Quote:

Originally Posted by versailles (Post 730629)

Nusion 01-25-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgeb1214 (Post 730626)
What’s next for us? Will they include daca protection in the bill they will negotiate?

Nothing as usual. We go about our lives like everyday.

ElBorra2 01-25-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by versailles (Post 730629)

We dont dream united with you.