DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Do you guys feel jaded .... ? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20695)

23andillegal 03-15-2011 02:40 AM

Do you guys feel jaded .... ?

Hey everyone.

Well this year i've just turned 23 and well, i'm not as elated as most people about the year to come. There doesn't seem to be any clear time frame for the Dream Act. Some speculate 2012, while others say 2013.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else feels jaded about their status right now?

I sometimes feel like there's no point in continuing with awareness of DA or posting on Facebook. Do any of you feel like this?

Is there anything you guys tell yourselves or think that motivates you guys to better yourselfs or help bring awareness to DA ?

starsNmoons 03-15-2011 03:28 AM

Re: Do you guys feel jaded .... ?

Hi! I am 23 turning 24 next month. Yeah every year I get older, I cringe and think I could be doing so much more. It gets hard to think about my age. And I keep comparing myself to others. Right now I honestly am thinking of leaving this country, as I don't want to waste my time doing jobs and living a life that kind of has no real prospects for me. Right now, I am watching this show called house hunters where this 24 year old is buying a $400,000 home. I am slowly realizing that everyone has their own pace and I will be happy with my situation one day.

23andillegal 03-15-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsNmoons (Post 212571)
Hi! I am 23 turning 24 next month. Yeah every year I get older, I cringe and think I could be doing so much more. It gets hard to think about my age. And I keep comparing myself to others. Right now I honestly am thinking of leaving this country, as I don't want to waste my time doing jobs and living a life that kind of has no real prospects for me. Right now, I am watching this show called house hunters where this 24 year old is buying a $400,000 home. I am slowly realizing that everyone has their own pace and I will be happy with my situation one day.

Love House Hunters. lol @ that example...making me feel worse now. yeah I get what you're saying but idk, I mean like is there anything you do or say that gets you going...instead of just being in a rut all day and not accomplishing anything at the end of the day?

Ianus 03-15-2011 11:49 PM

I think it is quite understandable why one would feel jaded.It is like an undocumented kid in a candy store and the store clerk requires status before giving you the goods.[e.g.bad example but you get the jest]

Even after having status,there are still challenges I find.I would watch out for these challenges after getting status like having a new SSN makes it difficult to explain a few things like why don't you have a substantial credit history,and learning about the varied retirement options.I also think that it is best in not letting not just anyone know about your status considering life if the transition does come it is a bit easier to deal with where people don't treat you any "different".

Thecure 03-16-2011 12:39 AM

I can see how we've become jaded but it's best that we snap out of it. It's easier said than done. I was reading an article about how it's worse to work at a job you hate than being unemployed.

Sadly, we're basically doing this to ourselves because in the long run we might look back and think of what could have been.

I suggest looking into being a private contractor. There are tons of jobs on the intertron that you can do on the side. It's harder when we have to pay bills and rent but at least the hard work we put in here will be beneficial to us wherever we go.

melpw 03-16-2011 01:14 AM

i think if been illegal is serverly b0thering y0u maybe because y0u have big plans f0r life i suggest y0u start making a time line 0r finding a s0luti0n if y0u can like get married even if its n0t super real, s0 many ppl d0 it, it sucks! but it c0uld be a s0luti0n. 2nd start planning t0 leave, Im 21 in may, have ab0ut a year and 6 ms left in cali, then d0ing 6 mns t0 a year 0f living in a tent in hawaii, then it will be my time t0 g0 travel all 0f latin america f0r like 2 years. then try t0 study, s0 yeah make ur 0wn timeline t0 determine where y0u w0uld like t0 be at a certain age

2Face 03-16-2011 10:59 AM

I'm turning 23 this year as well. I'll be straight up honest with you with the fact that I have no expectations for any sort of reform. My sister is still in college. We are just waiting for her to get done so we can move back to our country. With American degrees, we will be I'm demand there as well.

23andillegal 03-16-2011 02:36 PM

all of you guys make good points. In some way, I do see how self loathing brings about this feeling but in another way, it's just sometimes overwhelming. Thanks alot for your replies you guys. I'll try and get my mind concentrated on one thing and make some type of plan for my near future.

LuckyGirl 03-16-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thecure (Post 212616)
Sadly, we're basically doing this to ourselves because in the long run we might look back and think of what could have been.

There is really no such a thing as what might have been. There's what happened and what will happen. I've just had to realize that what might have been is imaginary, and it's this beautiful illusion of how it could have been if you had just done this right or if things had lined up but things don't line up...... (:

Thecure 03-16-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl (Post 212696)
There is really no such a thing as what might have been. There's what happened and what will happen. I've just had to realize that what might have been is imaginary, and it's this beautiful illusion of how it could have been if you had just done this right or if things had lined up but things don't line up...... (:

huhh??? If it's a thought, it exists but it doesn't necessary have to be real. Anyway, most peoples brains work in avoiding mode than in forward mode and it's helpful to realize that not much gets done on avoid mode.