DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Greetings (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13445)

Lohengrin 01-02-2010 06:50 PM

Greetings

To start, I'm ashamed to say that I've only found about this website only recently (it kind of reflects my half-assed research) through an argument on another forum with some motherfucker on illegal immigration.

But anyways, the story of my family's exodus to the United States goes something like this: Somewhere between 1996 and 1997, my father illegally came here alone to ensure that the transition of the rest of the family coming here later on would go smoothly. In the winter of 1998, this is exactly what happened as my mother, in tow with my older brother, me, and my younger sister crossed the Atlantic Ocean on a plane coming from the Czech Republic to the United States. We arrived somewhere in the state of New York, knowing absolutely no English with the exception of some profanity that my father had taught us. Regardless, both my father and mother at this point are still quite challenged when it comes to understanding and speaking English but naturally, the same doesn't go for me and my siblings as children are much more efficient at soaking up language than their adult counterparts.

Upon arrival, I was 8 years old, my younger sister about 2, and my older brother around 12. At this time, my father had a pretty good paying job working for some Polish guy (I have no idea what his job actually entailed, all I know is that, looking back, the income coming in was pretty stable). Eventually, this Polish guy reached the brink of bankruptcy and had to let my father go and I have no idea of what jobs my father had between this point and the point when he became a truck driver (under some other Polish guy), an occupation that stretches to the present. I don't think my mother worked those days but she now fervently toils as a babysitter and waitress while doing some side work with Mary Kay and as a fitness instructor. Most of this happened and is happening in the state of Illinois where we have lived so far.

Years flew by since our arrival and at the age of 16 when I tried to get my driver's license, I became aware of the consequences I had inherited through no fault of my own. At first, there wasn't much of a reaction on my part to this newfound knowledge until the prospect of going to college became dimmer and dimmer as I had found out that taking out a loan would be impossible due to the my status as an illegal immigrant. The last years of high school were utter crap with the realization that the aftermath of these years would be nothing but bleak constantly terrorizing my thoughts.

Fortunately, it was not as bad as my foresight had foretold. After high school, I decided to enroll in the local community college and that's where I am now--now 19 years old, on winter break and about to experience the last semester of my community college experience with only a glimmer of hope that I might continue my education in one of Illinois' 4-year institutions. As I see it, the only hope I have of continuing my education in the Fall of 2010 would be to attain enough scholarships to pay for all of it and so that's what I'm trying to do at the moment.

Elena 01-03-2010 04:41 PM

Re: Greetings

Welcome to the forum! I see that you are from Illinois and that is one of the states that offers in-state tuition to undocumented students, right? Hope you know that. Also, since money is an issue, go to a public university rather than a private one. Those are much more affordable. And lastly, the public university I went to in CA had payment plans for the tuition. For example, I was able to pay in increments of $400 instead of having all the money at once. That made it much more doable. Again, welcome to the forum, stay optimistic, keep moving forward and don't hesitate to ask questions. A lot of people on this forum are already done with school and hence have a lot of helpful advice =)

Lohengrin 01-03-2010 09:18 PM

Thanks.

Yeah, I skimmed over some things on the internet that mentioned all of the states that allow undocumented students to enroll under in-state tuition.

Tuition payments in increments would be extremely helpful and the community college I currently attend utilizes this method but I'm not sure if any 4-year institutions in Illinois offer it.

In regards to requesting transcripts to be sent to other colleges, have you ever encountered any problems with transcript request forms? On my CC's website, it states that you are required to mail them a copy of your driver's license or state ID along with the transcript request form to complete the process of sending transcripts. As far as I know, I'm unable to obtain either of those documents.

Elena 01-04-2010 03:13 PM

The 4-yr universities probably do do installment plans. Research the school's website.

On the issue of transcripts, what you can do is ask your community college. Don't be afraid to ask questions. For example, you can tell them you lost your DL and if Illinois is one of those states where the DLs are mailed and can take up to a month to replace one, then this excuse is more believable. Ask them if you can use a copy of your school ID. Also, I don't know if there is a Czech Republic consulate nearby (I have no idea), it would be good for you to get an updated passport and Identification from your native country. I don't know...ask around. Hope someone that is from Illinois can give you more info...=)

Lohengrin 01-04-2010 08:38 PM

Alright, they allowed me to use my Student ID so no problems on the transcript-sending front.

According to google, there is a Consulate General of the Czech Republic somewhere in Chicago, which is not necessarily far away from here but not necessarily close either. What would I generally need to obtain a stable form of identification from my country of origin (what would this be called anyways?) and to renew/update my passport?

txdream 01-05-2010 11:06 PM

I think that obtaining an ID from you country of origin is the best idea.

Elena 01-07-2010 11:26 AM

Google this information since there must be a Czech Consulate website. Im my case, for a Mexico ID and passport, they ask for something with your picture on it (school ID, ...something that has a picture and your name), proof of your U.S. address, and birth certificate. Ask your parents if they have it and re search for more info.