DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   States that give US in-state tuition (list) (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3720)

Youguysareawesome 01-30-2008 01:11 PM

Re: States that give US in-state tuition (list)

A lot of Minnesota schools give in-state. Some even give it to everyone which includes citizens and dreamers of other states and even international students.
http://testfn.files.wordpress.com/20...swonin2007.pdf

Nick 01-31-2008 08:13 PM

OFF TOPIC

Please stop debating with these people. We have better things to do than to delete this crap. Every time you quote them, you give them a voice. They have enough voices in this country.

BACK ON TOPIC

Youguysareawesome 02-02-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Eastern Michigan University asks for applicants' citizenship but doesn't follow up if it's left blank, says Orscheln. "If they have attended Michigan schools, a Michigan high school for two years or more, then we will allow them to attend and pay in-state tuition," she says. "We don't consider students who are undocumented as international students. We just don't. They're not."
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=12430

Hopefully someone can clarify this some more later on.

akathemx 03-06-2008 03:22 AM

I attend kvcc, in MI it offers instate tuition.

adrian5 03-11-2008 12:36 PM

I am new here. I am also one of the many in this frustrating situation. I am 25 years old now, i was only 9 years old when my mom decided to come to the US for a better life. Like many of us in this situation, our opinions did not matter. I was a sophomore in High School when i new that my illegal residential status would affect me in many ways. I new i was not a legal resident before i realized it would affect me in the long run. I had friends that were from Mexico as well as from Central America. I new that some of them didn't have "papers" but when they were asked by the ones that did they would lie, just like i did. I grew afraid and embarrassed to know that people would find out about me being illegal.
I was more embarrassed by the friends that lied and said they did have papers and even more embarrassed by the friends that came legally and did have papers. The kids that were born here in the US didn't even ask if you had papers , but if you spoke Spanish you were a "wet-back" they were just being stereotypical.
At the age of 15 i began to worry everyday of what my life would be like if i didn't attend college like i had dreamed since i realized that a college education would lead me to a better life. Senior year was the year i dreaded to reach, college applications, tests where SSN is needed, and before that i had already suffered the frustrations of not being able to get a job so i could help my home. I managed to get a job by selling candy door to door, it was good enough for me and even though it was challenging i managed to do well and enjoy it. The long lonely walks through unknown dark neighborhoods every day after school and all day on Saturdays made me appreciate the value of a single dollar. The commission for each box of candy sold was cheap, only $1.25. The box was $7.00. The average sale of the evening was 10 to 12 boxes, ill let you do the math considering the hours and the things you had to face to sell those boxes. Oh yeah if you had a bad night and sold 1 box or none thats what you would take home.
"Don't worry, by the time its time for you to apply to college you wont have a problem its a matter of a few months before you could be a legal resident." my mom speaking. I still hear that story but adjusted in various ways.
Well you are probably tired of reading so ill cut to the chase.
ITS TRUE WHATS THE POINT OF GETTING A COLLEGE EDUCATION IN ONE OF THIS INSTATE TUITIONS IF YOU WILL BE MISERABLE ONCE YOU GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE. AFTER MY FEAR OF THINKING I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND COLLEGE I DID. I HAVE AN ARCHITECTURE DEGREE. MIND YOU I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY COUNSELOR DID SO I WOULD BE ACCEPTED, BECAUSE BACK THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS INSTATE TUITION. I THANK HIM VERY MUCH FOR HELPING ME REACH ONE OF MY DREAMS EVEN THOUGH IN A WAY MY LIFE IS MISERABLE TO EXAGGERATE A BIT. I GRADUATED 4 YEARS AGO AND GUESS WHAT I AM STILL IN THE SAME SITUATION. IN 4 YEARS THE FRIENDS I GRADUATED WITH HAVE DONE ALOT, TRAVELED, BOUGHT NEW CARS, SOME HAVE BOUGHT HOMES AND SO MANY OTHER THINGS THAT I CANT DO. ITS SAD TO SAY THAT THIS ARE THINGS I A MISERABLE FOR NOT DOING BUT IF MONEY WAS NOT THE LEVER THAT MOVES US THEN I WOULD BE FINE. THIS IS A CAPITALIST COUNTRY AND IT IS ABOUT MAKING MONEY...............

laneDearIhope? 03-11-2008 03:09 PM

welcome to dap! but your post belonged in the new members section.

free2be 03-19-2008 03:46 PM

Can someone clarify the in-state issue with Nevada? This is what I found, and I can't seem to dig up anything else that supports or contradicts this:

http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/undocumented.phtml 5th paragraph down
The Nevada system of higher education does not consider immigration status for in-state tuition, but does require it for a state-sponsored scholarship.

dreamerhippie 03-29-2008 09:46 AM

yeah, oklahoma is definitely off the list.

although i must say, there are individual schools that bend the rules a little bit by not asking at all or offering a special program, such is the case with my school in michigan. as far as i know, out of 15 public universities and a handful of private schools in michigan, only 2 are bend the rules a little bit.

assuming that you're admitted, the program at my school requires proof that you've paid state taxes (this is where doing your taxes with a itin comes in). i got admitted in fall 2006 under this program =]

how it works is that on everything i'm classified as an out of state resident, which is kinda retarded cause i've lived in michigan since 3rd grade. so i'm charged out of state tuition on all my statements and my transcripts say i'm out of state, but then i have a scholarship from the university that refunds me the difference between out of state and in state tuition!!! smart huh? so i end up owing like 5,000 less every semester. =]

the university that i go to also gave me a scholarship based on having a 3.5 gpa or higher every semester (essentially requiring me to always make the deans list) for ... get this .... 16,000. lol, an undocumented (and documented) college students dream =]

Amerzy 04-01-2008 10:50 PM

I know this isn't on the subject but are there any Asian American Pacific Islanders who are willing to share their story on our website? Please e-mail me at [email protected].

If you aren't an AAPI, you can also e-mail me your stories too and I will be happy to post them up!

Go check us out at http://aapidream.com

Bea 07-10-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juang (Post 45907)
Honestly...I dont think many of the people picking up cherries and stuf want to go to college. They have more important things in mind (not that college its not important) and putting food in your family's table is more important than a degree in Political Science.

well with a degree in political science you can get a job that is not minimum wage. you are also seen as an educated individual who wishes to prosper. It is not just about 'getting a job', its about being educated and not ignorant about world issues. Politica Science teaches all that in which the individual needs to be able to protect himself: the right to life, liberty, and pursue of happiness.