DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Democrats introduce resolution to allow DREAMers to Join Military (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=68224)

Malign0n 07-26-2014 01:10 AM

Democrats introduce resolution to allow DREAMers to Join Military

Quote:

Reps. Bill Foster (D-Ill.), Jared Polis (D-Colo.) and Juan Vargas (D-Calif.) on Friday introduced a resolution calling on the Department of Defense to allow undocumented youth who qualify for the Obama administration’s deferred action program to enlist in the U.S. military.

The resolution calls on Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to change current policy to allow Dreamers who’ve been approved for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals to serve in the military. The federal program, which President Barack Obama announced in 2012, grants work authorization and deportation reprieve to undocumented youth who grew up in the U.S. If allowed to enlist, DACA recipients would eventually gain legal permanent residency for their service.

Polis said at a press conference held Friday near the U.S. Capitol that for Dreamers “who want to serve our country and defend our freedom, we should allow them to do so.”
Quote:

“By allowing them to enlist, we not only ensure that all the branches in our military remain fully staffed with the best qualified individuals to defend our freedom, but we also give those who call the United States home the opportunity to defend their country,” he said.
Foster echoed Polis’ sentiment, saying, “It is simply bad policy to turn away these young men and women while we struggle to find qualified individuals who are able to serve in our military.”

Meanwhile, Vargas said in a statement that at a time when the U.S. military is facing personnel shortages and decreased recruitment, the U.S. “should allow these willing and capable young men and women to serve the only nation they’ve ever known.”For Cesar Vargas, a 30-year-old Dreamer from New York, getting the opportunity to enlist in the Marine Corp has been a longtime dream. Vargas decided he wanted to join the military when he saw the Twin Towers collapse during the 9/11 attacks in New York.Since that day, he has graduated from college and has obtained a law degree. But his desire to serve in the military has not gone away. “I’m still seeking an opportunity to serve my country,” he said.

Both Democrats and Republicans have tried to pass legislation in recent years to permit Dreamers, like Vargas, who grew up in the U.S. to enlist in the military.
Last year, Reps. Jeff Denham (R-Calif.) and Mike Coffman (R-Colo.) introduced two separate bills — the ENLIST Act and the Military Enlistment Opportunity Act — that would allow Dreamers to serve in the military. However, both bills were blocked in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives.

In June, it was revealed that the Pentagon was considering allowing DACA recipients to enlist in the military and be put on an expedited path to citizenship but only if they have distinctive medical or language skills. Advocates welcomed the news but said the policy change would only benefit a small number of Dreamers.
Frank Sharry, executive director of America’s Voice, said at Friday’s press conference that given the chance to serve, Dreamers would rise to “prominence and leadership given how much they love this country and their dedication to serve.”

He added that as Obama considers taking executive action on immigration, the president should “strongly” consider signing an executive order to allow DACA recipients to serve in the military “so that they can make our country stronger and fulfill their commitment to duty.”
CREDIT: VOXXI/Griselda Nevarez
http://voxxi.com/2014/07/25/democrat...mers-military/

Sorrybrah 07-26-2014 01:14 AM

Re: Democrats introduce resolution to allow DREAMers to Join Military

Seems pretty easy yet I doubt Obama will do this.

NeedHelp 07-26-2014 04:20 AM

It is a resolution.
Harder to pass...so...
I would say "MeaningLess"

theguywitheyes 07-27-2014 09:36 PM

what about for people who don't or can't go through the military training? Having a path to get status is a good step but can't be the only step.

Pianoswithoutfaith 07-27-2014 10:05 PM

well if you cant go through the military training then you really should be looking at other options.

Santii 07-29-2014 09:49 AM

I'll cry the day this becomes reality

Sorrybrah 07-29-2014 10:31 AM

Would love to die for this country and still have my parents deported.

notsrs

I would only join for five years for the benefits.
I wouldn't hug a grenade to save my comrades, I would rather have the next person explode for their country.

Santii 07-31-2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorrybrah (Post 536020)
Would love to die for this country and still have my parents deported.

notsrs

I would only join for five years for the benefits.
I wouldn't hug a grenade to save my comrades, I would rather have the next person explode for their country.

Pathetic

Sorrybrah 07-31-2014 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santii (Post 536298)
Pathetic

Ohhhh I am sorry brave one. I am sure you will make your country proud.

Wait what

Benefits and solving challenges is why I wanted to join. You can die for it for all I care lol. Good luck.

Blind nationalism and patriotism is more pathetic.

Santii 07-31-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorrybrah (Post 536309)
Ohhhh I am sorry brave one. I am sure you will make your country proud.

Wait what

Benefits and solving challenges is why I wanted to join. You can die for it for all I care lol. Good luck.

Blind nationalism and patriotism is more pathetic.

Best of luck to you as well.
You'll need it with that weak mentality if you even make it out of basic I'm sure you'll die way before me.
Difference is if I do go out, it'd be with honor. You I'm sure will go out like a coward sniffling and begging.
Being unwilling to serve with valor and lay down your life for your brothers and sisters must make you so much smarter and superior than everyone!
I wish I was you and not a patriotic brain washed zombie :/