DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   GOP lawmaker aims to force vote to protect Dreamers (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=77901)

ceaguila 08-31-2017 05:37 PM

GOP lawmaker aims to force vote to protect Dreamers

Rep. Mike Coffman (R-Colo.) said Thursday he'll attempt to force a vote on a bill that would extend protections for undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as minors.

When he returns to Washington next week, Coffman said he'll file what's known as a "discharge petition" to force action on his proposal, known as the BRIDGE Act. If he can convince a majority of the House — 218 members — to join him, the House will be required to take up the measure later in September.

Coffman's rarely used gambit comes amid reports that President Donald Trump may roll back an Obama-era program meant to protect undocumented immigrants who arrived in the country as minors. The program, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, has shielded about 800,000 immigrants from deportation and provided work permits.

"#DACA participants grew up here, went to school here, and should be allowed to stay here. The time has come to take action," Coffman tweeted.

The bill already has 12 Republican cosponsors in the House, in addition to Coffman. In the Senate, a companion measure was introduced by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), and it has support from GOP Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.)

The measure extends protection — similar to that afforded under DACA — to those born after June 15, 1981, were brought to the United States before their 16th birthday and have lived in the United States since June 15, 2007. Applicants for protection must also be enrolled in school, have graduated from high school or have served honorably in the military. And those convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanors would be barred from the program.

Coffman's call is likely to draw support from Democrats, as well as other Republicans who have previously backed measures to protect those undocumented immigrants who arrived in the country as minors. During the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump called for eliminating the program, but he backed off shortly after winning the election. This week, his administration indicated he was reviewing the program and hadn't yet decided what to do.

Trump said in February that he intended to deal with DACA enrollees "with heart."

Coffman is also one of the more vulnerable Republicans in the House. Democrat Hillary Clinton won his district by a 50-41 margin.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...reamers-242227

JohannBernoulli1667 08-31-2017 05:51 PM

Re: GOP lawmaker aims to force vote to protect Dreamers

I heard this procedure very rarely yields any positive results, however, brings the issue to the surface...

unrealunknown92 08-31-2017 06:08 PM

There's a 194 Democrats. Coffman needs 24 Republicans to go along with it.

2Face 08-31-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unrealunknown92 (Post 629452)
There's a 194 Democrats. Coffman needs 24 Republicans to go along with it.

At this point it's not even clear if all Democrats will support these efforts LOL. Don't forget. Democrats are the ones who killed DA final vote in 2010. They are just as dirty.

lakers1824 08-31-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 629456)
At this point it's not even clear if all Democrats will support these efforts LOL. Don't forget. Democrats are the ones who killed DA final vote in 2010. They are just as dirty.

How ignorant can you be? You had 5 blue dog democrats vote against it and you had all republicans but 3 who supported it. Guys, like McCain and Graham opposed it but it's all the Dems fault right? Not surprising coming from a Trump lover.

2Face 08-31-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakers1824 (Post 629466)
How ignorant can you be? You had 5 blue dog democrats vote against it and you had all republicans but 3 who supported it. Guys, like McCain and Graham opposed it but it's all the Dems fault right? Not surprising coming from a Trump lover.

Well yeah I was just as disappointed at Rubio, McCain, Snowe, Collins and a few others but those 5 blue dog Dems are way too many Dems to vote against something so important like this. They are the ones who killed it whether you like it or not. The Math is simple. DA died by about 5 votes and 5-6 Dems voted against it. Calling me ignorant and a "Trump lover" will not change that. Please let me know whose lover you'd prefer me to be. But first go pay all of my taxes for the next 10 years and then I will let you feel entitled to tell me who to love.

Chn 08-31-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 629475)
Well yeah I was just as disappointed at Rubio, McCain, Snowe, Collins and a few others but those 5 blue dog Dems are way too many Dems to vote against something so important like this. They are the ones who killed it whether you like it or not. The Math is simple. DA died by about 5 votes and 5-6 Dems voted against it. Calling me ignorant and a "Trump lover" will not change that. Please let me know whose lover you'd prefer me to be. But first go pay all of my taxes for the next 10 years and then I will let you feel entitled to tell me who to love.

Democrats are dirty and evil for not providing all the necessary votes, but you're merely "disappointed" that only 3 Republicans voted for the bill? I never see you calling out Graham, McCain, and especially Hatch, the original sponsor who didn't have the courage to put his vote on the record.

And Rubio wasn't even in the Senate at the time...

2Face 08-31-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chn (Post 629477)
Democrats are dirty and evil for not providing all the necessary votes, but you're merely "disappointed" that only 3 Republicans voted for the bill? I never see you calling out Graham, McCain, and especially Hatch, the original sponsor who didn't have the courage to put his vote on the record.

And Rubio wasn't even in the Senate at the time...

Don't even remind me of Hatch. I fucking hate him. My blood was boiling when he voted no. I loved his reaction sitting on his ass when McCain voted no on ACA repeal. See your reply is very civil and I appreciate that compared to the other fucktard who was calling me a "Trump Lover"

dtrt09 08-31-2017 07:26 PM

Then what is stopping him from co-sponsoring the House DreamAct with fellow Rep. Ileana Ros and Dem. Royal-Allard??

ALL Dem Reps are sponsoring it (or maybe is HOPE Act), so he only needs 24 other House members to force a vote on it.

Someone in his district ask him!!

beingoflight 08-31-2017 08:48 PM

RACA or gtfo... Tired of this EAD permit bullshit.