DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Medical exemption (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=85416)

DamLeon123 09-25-2022 09:22 PM

Medical exemption

I have a bit of an issue in this unending saga of trying to get permament residency. I couple of weeks ago I went to do the medical exam. Lo and behold I found out that I needed to get to vaccine for measel-mumps-rubella (MMR). I have an auto-immune disease that requires me taking medication (Humira) that reduces my immune systems abililty to fight of diseases. The nurse that I spoke to said that she was going to send a message to my rheumatologist to see if I may be able to get the vaccine anyways. But doing more research its highly unlikely , more so becasue the mmr live vaccine meaning that they actually give you those bacteria. Is there any medical EXCEPTION to certain vaccines that I can get if I submit proof that I can't get it?

Demise 09-26-2022 02:06 AM

Re: Medical exemption

In this case the civil surgeon filling out the I-693 should check the box for contraindication for MMR vaccine and provide an explanation as to why it's contraindicated (autoimmune disease + the meds you're taking for it + live vaccine having a chance to fuck you up).

I assume that you are in the 18-64 age group. Only ones that you are required to have (and can seek a contraindication for) are:
  • Tdap
  • MMR
  • Hep B
  • Varicella
  • Flu (unless it's not flu season)
  • Covid-19

All the other ones can be just dismissed as not age appropriate.

If you want further readings:
CDC Pinkbook: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/genrec.html
I-693 handbook: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugee...cinations.html

AleiaTheEnchanted 10-01-2022 01:14 AM

Are you filing this form along with your AOS adjustment packet? Or will can you send it without and USCIS will notify you to do after yor packet is received?

Demise 10-01-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleiaTheEnchanted (Post 768040)
Are you filing this form along with your AOS adjustment packet? Or will can you send it without and USCIS will notify you to do after yor packet is received?

You can do either. If you don't send it with the I-485, then they will either have you bring it to the interview, or RFE for you if they waive the interview.

In fact getting an RFE for the medicals is the best way to know that they've waived your interview.

Swim19 10-01-2022 04:33 PM

I just sent my AOS through my father (using 245i) on Friday. I decided to wait to do the medicals.

DamLeon123 10-02-2022 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 768056)
You can do either. If you don't send it with the I-485, then they will either have you bring it to the interview, or RFE for you if they waive the interview.

In fact getting an RFE for the medicals is the best way to know that they've waived your interview.

Im confused what do you mean waived the interview?
Do you mean the interview for the green card?
If so, what factors do they take into consideration?.
Ive been living in the US since 92'. Ive had DACA for ten years.
Applied for AOS via 245i.

PS You do not have to submit the medical letter at time of adjustment. BUT you have to do it BEFORE 60 days after you submit your initial application.

Demise 10-02-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamLeon123 (Post 768064)
Im confused what do you mean waived the interview?
Do you mean the interview for the green card?
If so, what factors do they take into consideration?.
Ive been living in the US since 92'. Ive had DACA for ten years.
Applied for AOS via 245i.

PS You do not have to submit the medical letter at time of adjustment. BUT you have to do it BEFORE 60 days after you submit your initial application.

Yes interview for the green card.

Factors are murky and honestly boil down to luck. They will generally always interview marriage cases and former EWIs.

It might say that you have to submit it with or within 60 days but in all reality if you don't first they will send you a courtesy notice telling you to get them done but not submit them yet, then they will either RFE you or tell you to bring them to the interview depending on whether they waived your interview or not.

Swim19 10-03-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 768065)
Yes interview for the green card.

Factors are murky and honestly boil down to luck. They will generally always interview marriage cases and former EWIs.

It might say that you have to submit it with or within 60 days but in all reality if you don't first they will send you a courtesy notice telling you to get them done but not submit them yet, then they will either RFE you or tell you to bring them to the interview depending on whether they waived your interview or not.

I've been following R/USCIS on reddit, and there's definitely been an increase in interviews being waived even for marriages. But yes there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason about who gets an interview waived.