DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Denied for In-State Tuition (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=71112)

amilcar96 03-25-2015 12:32 PM

Denied for In-State Tuition

Hi guys my name is Amilcar, I live in Florida and I'm working full time so I can pay for my college, I'm 18 right neo and seeking my computer science degree. When J went to Broward College and FIU to apply they said I can't receive instate tuition because I spent one semester in sophomore year in Houston, Texas and then finished my 2 1/2 years of highs school in Florida. I was raised in Florida and I never wanted to go to Houston but I had to move because my parents were moving. I can't afford to pay 20,000 for an associates degree. Is there any advice any one can give me, please help.

Dres2011 03-25-2015 02:31 PM

Re: Denied for In-State Tuition

You can try MDC for your associates, they still do the daca waiver alongside the FL dream act.it will save you money, but you will still have the same problem once you want to transfer for a bachelors.

amilcar96 03-25-2015 04:09 PM

But the problem is that colleges are saying I don't qualify for the waiver because I didn't do 3 consecutive years of highschool in Florida, does MDC just waive that rule so I can pay for like I was in In-State?

amilcar96 03-25-2015 04:17 PM

I'm on the MDC website right now and it says that in order to get the waiver I would've needed to attend a Florida High School for the last three consecutive years immediately before graduation. Is there anything else I can do? ANY advice and help is appreciated

victor85 03-26-2015 02:01 AM

Have you considered moving to other states? There are some states that allow in-state tuition for DACA recipient if you live there for 1 year.

amilcar96 03-26-2015 11:38 AM

That's in interesting idea, do you know if there's any laws in Florida that ate changing soon to allow me to study while paying in state tuition?

DreamsNC 03-26-2015 06:26 PM

i pay 225/credit hour at my community college. really emptys out my pockets.

Dres2011 03-26-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsNC (Post 556192)
i pay 225/credit hour at my community college. really emptys out my pockets.

I pay $340, I'm in debt year round.

amilcar96 03-26-2015 10:30 PM

Yeah the cheapest I could find was 361 a credit hour.

CaliDreamin 06-03-2015 05:31 PM

I wanted to share my sister's experience being granted in state tuition in California.

She and I went to high school in Idaho and moved to California after graduation. We do not qualify for AB540 which allows students to attend college in California and pay in-state tuition at public colleges and universities if they graduated in California or attended a California high school for three years.

Well she heard from her boyfriend that a college in San Diego was allowing students who have been granted DACA to be reclassified as residents and allowed to pay in-state tuition.

She emailed the admission department at her college and they told her she should submit a Residency Reclassification Questionnaire and supporting documentation that she has been living in California for at least a year and that she has had DACA for year. Well she submitted the college's questionnaire and documentation and they reviewed her documents and after a couple of days they re-classed her as a resident for tuition purposes.

She went from paying $200 per unit (out of state tuition) to $46 per unit! I urge you guys to contact your college's admissions office and ask if they are willing to reclassify you as a resident with your DACA status.

I will be submitting the same documentation at my college. Good luck to you all!