DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   must read (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18113)

sexy 12-02-2010 11:03 AM

must read

Democrats poised to cave on tax cuts, extend temporarily for rich
After months of wrangling with Republicans over whether or not to extend tax cuts for the wealthy, Democrats are reportedly ready to throw in the towel and let them continue temporarily.

The Wall Street Journal reports Thursday that the "likely outcome" -- as negotiations suggest -- "includes a one- to three-year extension of the Bush-era income tax rates and a two-year extension of the business provisions, according to aides."

Senate Republicans on Wednesday circulated a letter threatening gridlock on every Democratic initiative in the Congressional lame duck session until the majority party accepts additional tax cuts for the richest 2 percent of income earners.

Meanwhile, the White House has promised to try and compromise with Republicans on the issue. "We're in the midst of productive discussions and negotiations around what I think everybody agrees is an issue that has to get done in taxes," said spokesman Robert Gibbs. "I think we can get some substantive agreements."

The tax breaks, enacted by the Bush administration, affect individual income earned above $200,000 and family income above $250,000. The Obama administration and Democratic leadership favor letting them expire on December 31, after which the top marginal tax rate would rise by 3 percent. Republicans adamantly support extending them.

Petitions by Change.org|Get Widget|Start a Petition »Progressives have painted the measure as a deficit-busting giveaway to millionaires and billionaires that will do little for economic growth, while conservatives portray it as vital to job creation. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimates it will cost $70 billion annually while have a minimal stimulative impact on the economy.

Underscoring the upper-hand Democrats have in this debate are various public opinion polls, which in recent months have consistently shown Americans to be highly supportive of letting the high-end tax cuts expire as scheduled.

But Democrats have ambitions to extend unemployment benefits as well as repeal "don't ask, don't tell" and pass the DREAM Act in the lame duck session, and perhaps the party's key players believe compromising on this issue might ease up the Republican blockade.

Democrats and Republicans do, however, agree on extending the tax cuts for the middle class, which are also set to expire on December 31. The GOP has threatened to vote against any measure that doesn't also include continuing them for the wealthy.

House Democrats intend to hold a vote on a measure Thursday that would extend only the middle-class tax cuts but, it's unclear whether it has the necessary support to pass.
Democrats poised to cave on tax cuts, extend temporarily for rich

CB124 12-02-2010 11:59 AM

Re: must read

Great, now Bill Gates gets another helicopter

dexcess 12-02-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB124 (Post 189737)

Seriously....

MIdreamer 12-02-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB124 (Post 189737)

If Bill Gate get his helicopter, you can get ur damn paper. I am just saying.

fd314 12-02-2010 02:19 PM

lol, you act like republican's aren't going to fillibuster the dream act.

Dukem88 12-02-2010 02:21 PM

I just want to know.... How the hell does the republican party run the government with a minority?

MiGSTeR 12-02-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukem88 (Post 189819)
I just want to know.... How the hell does the republican party run the government with a minority?

Nice try ICE Agent what did you do to duke you bish

Gareki 12-02-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fd314 (Post 189817)
lol, you act like republican's aren't going to fillibuster the dream act.

I can imagine they will, but if Democrats give in and compromise to their "demands" I don't see why they couldn't do the same.
But it's politics and they're douchebags, so who knows.

Demise 12-02-2010 02:23 PM

He better get a gunship and destroy the republican part of the senate

Dukem88 12-02-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiGSTeR (Post 189821)
Nice try ICE Agent what did you do to duke you bish

Duke is safe and sound in one of our 5 stars facilities for illegal beaners. Lol naaah they didn't catch me.. I'm just enjoying new york right now!