DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What is next after receiving I821/I-821D and I765 Application for Employment? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34662)

iawia9010 11-16-2012 08:35 PM

What is next after receiving I821/I-821D and I765 Application for Employment?

I received 2 letters from USCIS this week: Approval Notice of I821/I-821D (Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) & Approval Notice of I764 (Application for Employment Authorization).

I am really happy that I get both of them approved.

Today, I went to the Social Security Service Center to ask for temporary I.D. and Social Security Number, mainly to apply job and drive a car.

I bought the letters that I received and headed out full of hopes and joys. Before long, I realized that how foolish I was.

After an hour of waiting, the worker at the Social Security Service Center told me that I have to go to the D.M.V. to apply for the number and the I.D. card. I immediately went to the D.M.V. and waited for another hour. The worker at the D.M.V. told me that I need to bring my passport to the Social Security Service Center for the number then come back.

I am now really confused.

First of all, I do no have Social Security Number. My goal is to try to get the Social Security Number in order to apply for driver license and a job. What are the proper order and/or procedure that I need to do? Can anyone help me?

Rev_Scholar 11-16-2012 08:39 PM

Re: What is next after receiving I821/I-821D and I765 Application for Employment?

You need an SSN for a driver's license. So you have to apply for a social security number first. Show ID (like a passport) and work permit and apply for a number at a SSN center.

Here, this is very helpful:
http://ssa.gov/pubs/deferred_action.pdf

smichyx 11-16-2012 08:42 PM

Re: What is next after receiving I821/I-821D and I765 Application for Employment?

Wait for your EAD card to be mailed out. Once you have your EAD Card then go to SSA with your passport and a filled out SS5 form you can find at the social security website. If you don't have a passport you can use your birth certificate. Tell them you're applying for a social. If you're lucky you wait 2 weeks for them to mail the number to you. If not it'll be a bit longer but you'll still get it. Once you have your number take it with you to the DMV along with your uscis letters to prove residency. I think take your passport too. From there it should be simple.

iawia9010 11-16-2012 08:58 PM

You mean I will receive a EAD card automatically instead or applying one? In addition, what are the benefits of having Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals approved? The more I think about it; the more confuse I become.

sans 11-16-2012 09:03 PM

You will get a physical EAD card in the mail soon. Check your case status to see if they already mailed it out.

Bring your EAD card, passport and/or birth certificate, and the SS5 form to the Social Security Office and apply for a new social securtiy number and card.

When you recieve your SS card go to the DMV to get your Drivers License or State ID.

The benefits of having DACA approved are all listed in the approval letter. Take some time to actually read it.

jesus2190 11-16-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iawia9010 (Post 374332)
You mean I will receive a EAD card automatically instead or applying one? In addition, what are the benefits of having Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals approved? The more I think about it; the more confuse I become.

Wow so you applied without knowing the benefits ?

iawia9010 11-16-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesus2190 (Post 374338)
Wow so you applied without knowing the benefits ?

All I know is that this will lower my university fees. Are there more?

sans 11-16-2012 09:11 PM

I smell a troll because I cant believe anyone is this retarded

iawia9010 11-16-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sans (Post 374344)
I smell a troll because I cant believe anyone is this retarded

Call me whatever you wishes. I am not trolling here. I just want to know all the benefits instead of lowing my tuition. I am paying as international fee for all my classes where my friends are paying the citizens fees.

jesus2190 11-16-2012 09:21 PM

Sans is right lol sorry ...this not for university use ...this will get you a better job and a drivers license